Talk

Advanced search

fear of uterine rupture? how do they monitor you?

(4 Posts)
marvella Mon 05-Jan-15 01:15:40

I would like a VBAC. It is very very early pregnancy and I want to if possible not spend the rest of it terrified as I think in the UK you aren't offered a CS anymore because you had one previously and expected to try for a VBAC

and previous section after nearly 24hours of labour plus 2 hours of pushing when eventually the midwife conceded that he was stuck on my hip bone after all...

I'm kinda still glad that I had the labour with him though, even if he didn't come out that way in the end...

But, I'm terrified of the small risk of a rupture, and wondering how they monitor you? Is it usually ok (in the end) for you and baby even if traumatising at the time? I'm most worried about long term effects on baby... I think I'd eventually recover mentally myself.

MrsPatrickDempsey Mon 05-Jan-15 17:09:06

Hi - congrats on your pregnancy.

A rupture presents with pain, vaginal blededing, maternal shock (raised pulse and latter fall in bp) and fetal distress (usually a sudden prolonged drop in heart rate - hence the recommendation for continual electronic fetal monitoring) and these all form the basis for what is monitored in labour.

I have seen a range of outcomes from a rupture - just depends on the extent of the rupture I guess - but have also seen lots of fab vacs too (smile).

MrsPatrickDempsey Mon 05-Jan-15 17:10:04

* vbacs*

VeryPunny Mon 05-Jan-15 17:15:32

Had a vbac 5 weeks ago. Started off at midwife led unit with no more monitoring than any other labour. Your risks of any adverse event (not just rupture) are comparable to a first time mother, so I didn't see why I should have any more monitoring than necessary. Besides, the best prediction of rupture is maternal blood pressure, which is not routinely monitored anyway - I would far rather have one to one care by an experienced midwife.

I transferred to the obstetrics unit in the event as it hurt like buggery and I wanted an epidural!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now