Talk

Advanced search

Bit of a live home birth thread

(21 Posts)
schmalice Sat 03-Jan-15 05:21:07

Morning all, I'm coming up to 24 hours in labour with my first. Had peaks and troughs in terms of pain but have handled it ok, I think.

I'm managing pain with baths, paracetamol, moving about etc but I'm getting very tired. I've tried dozing but contractions are making that really tough.

Spoke to midwife at 2am and she said that it was too early for anyone to come out as my contractions weren't 2 mins apart and I seemed to be doing ok (she heard me have a contraction on the phone).

I think because I have no idea how far along I am I'm getting a bit disheartened plus been awake for 24 hours now.

Maybe just looking for a hand hold or some advice, not really sure to be honest.

JoanGalt Sat 03-Jan-15 05:24:05

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly!

If you want more reassurance call your midwife again and she should come out to you.

I had a home birth with my first and it was long and tiring but we got there. Is your partner there with you? Are you able to have a snack or at least some water?

Good luck!

GinAndSonic Sat 03-Jan-15 05:25:11

Hey, im here.

You are doing really well, try to take sips of water and bites to eat. Can you find a comfy position where your partner can hold you and rub you back or bump to try to help you doze a bit?

Talk to your baby, put some music on, or some comedy dvds. Dont be disheartened, you are doing really well.

schmalice Sat 03-Jan-15 05:31:21

Thanks guys! My DH is here but is just having a disco nap, will wake him up tho.

I've been sipping water and squash and managing bits of food. I knew a home birth would be tough in some ways but think it's obviously harder in the middle of the night when neither of you knows what's what!

I've got a long way to go, haven't i?

flagnogbagnog Sat 03-Jan-15 05:33:14

Hi, you sound like you are doing perfectly. How far apart are your contractions now?

JoanGalt Sat 03-Jan-15 06:17:27

Things are always harder in the middle of the night, it's just lonelier somehow.

You're doing fine.

victoire1208 Sat 03-Jan-15 06:21:49

Oh what a great idea. I hope you can keep posting. Don't be fobbed off with this midwife assessing the strength of a contraction over the phone. I'm not a screamer and quite stoical and was told I sounded fine, that I'd be climbing the walls if in established labour. By the time I was examined I was 9.5cm.

Good luck and I'm very jealous knowing what's in store for you today after all of the hard work. flowers

AlpacaYourThings Sat 03-Jan-15 06:28:48

Good luck, OP.

What an amazing day you have ahead of you flowers

CheerfulYank Sat 03-Jan-15 06:39:28

I'm here, I'm here! Oh how exciting!

Your first is so special. smile My third is due in June.

GingerSkin Sat 03-Jan-15 06:49:56

How exciting!
Labour can be deceiving for some - I managed the pain well and got to 7cm before a midwife checked me.

Bouncing on the ball was good.

As was sticking my tens machine on, my music and switching to my 'happy place' to ride out each contraction.

I was in slow labour for 4 days though! So contractions were every 3/5 min, but were not 'bad' ones.

CurlyLocks87 Sat 03-Jan-15 06:50:14

Good luck OP.

Like others have mentioned I'd maybe try and get a little bit of rest, you'll need lots of energy latergrin

funchum8am Sat 03-Jan-15 07:43:17

Good luck OP! I had DC2 yesterday (induced so in hospital) and my one tip is that if they break your waters for you it can all get very intense v quickly! If they tell you to stop pushing, then try panting as otherwise you could tear. Being told this just after 2am yesterday in no uncertain terms saved me from what could have been a bit of a tear disaster as I got a bit overwhelmed by the urge to push (had only TENS and G&A, so like a home birth in that respect).

Having a newborn is lovely...yours is on the way! Best of luck.

FourAndDone Sat 03-Jan-15 07:44:32

Good luck schmalice!!
I'm so excited for you.
Can you call midwife again and ask tone examined? I find this helpful to get an idea of what's happening.
You sound like your doing perfectly!
Keep us updated, I'm rooting for you.winkgrin

silverfishlondon Sat 03-Jan-15 11:14:56

Hoping to have a homebirth with my first in a couple of weeks so following with interest and hope I'll be sounding as calm as you do! Tho there's no way to know if your labour is going to be long and slow, or that your actually progressing faster than thought, it's certain that you will be getting closer to your baby with every contraction. Excited for you ( and rather impatient for my turn!)

bigfam Sat 03-Jan-15 16:51:16

Hi op! Hope ur good?
Saw u posted on the 28th that u were getting occasional twinges and pain I've been feeling like that past few days so knowing you're in labour has given me hope! Lol. Good luck! X

CurlyLocks87 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:14:14

How you doing now OP?

schmalice Thu 08-Jan-15 11:22:34

Hello all! Better late than never but thought I'd pop back with an update.

Firstly, my darling DD was born at 11:55am on the 3rd. We are all doing well, if a little overwhelmed by the who,e thing! We didn't manage to birth at home but that was due to a slightly odd set of events.

Things really ramped up about 6am so I called and asked for them to send someone, spoke to the community midwife and she said she would be with us in a hour as she would have to go to the hospital to get things first. In hindsight I should have called earlier as I was starting to feel panicked and I had no idea it would take them so long to get to me as we live in a large city! Anyway, an hour passed and I had another bath and more paracetamol my phone rang and it was the midwife saying she had a flat tyre and could get to me just yet but was trying to get someone out. By this point i didn't know what was what so called the delivery suite and said I was coming in. Got there and they told me I was 9cm!!! DD was born an hour or so later!

I'm sure that if I'd had someone with me earlier I would have been happy to stay at home but these things happen and in the end we had to stay in over night anyway. No tear or much damage so I'm pretty sure that's down to being at home all that time.

The poor midwife was utterly mortified that I ended up coming in but to be honest I think I was so panicked by that point it was the best thing!

Thanks for all the support on the night, I was really quite afraid and knowing people were there really helped!

funchum8am Thu 08-Jan-15 21:01:02

Congratulations!! It sounds like you coped incredibly well. The flat tyre is unbelievably bad luck but if everyone is healthy just enjoy your lovely baby smile.

GingerSkin Thu 08-Jan-15 22:14:41

Congratulations! A little baby girl, how exciting [happy]

Such bad luck about the tyre / delayed midwife. At least dd is here now.

silverfishlondon Fri 09-Jan-15 14:15:04

Congratulations! I was wondering how you got on so thanks for the update . Although you did the final bit at hosp it sounds like a smooth home labour experience. I can only hope to do so well next week! Enjoy your little girl smile

schmalice Fri 09-Jan-15 21:08:25

It was fab being at home and I'm pleased I was able to be there as long as possible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now