Talk

Advanced search

episiotomy stitched have come undone, what do I do!?

(27 Posts)
silverandblack Mon 29-Dec-14 21:26:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gamerchick Mon 29-Dec-14 21:28:45

Get it restitched ASAP. Too much scar tissue is a swine when you want to resume sex. Speak to your midwife.

Orangeisthenewbanana Mon 29-Dec-14 21:29:14

Go to A&E. They'll get the gynae doctor on call to come and restitch. Hope you get it sorted soon flowers

WhyOWhyWouldYou Mon 29-Dec-14 21:37:30

Just to warn you they may refuse to restitch - they did with me. They said it increased chances of incorrect healing - I think they were talking bull but I begged and pleaded for them to do something and they point blank refused.

Oh and ring labour ward rather than waiting in a&e - I got told off for going to a&e rather than calling labour ward.

shobby Mon 29-Dec-14 21:55:51

Don't panic.
Some maternity units do not suture perineal skin at all, only underlying muscle, so it might be the skin layer wasn't sutured in the first place. It's just a case of waiting for the skin to heal with time.

If the skin was sutured, the most common suture material goes under the skin and is designed to dissolve in about four days, so if you are four days plus post natal that is not unusual that it gives way.
It is important to get any gaping perineal wound checked for signs of infection though, so I would suggest contacting your community midwife and ask for a physical check. If you feel feverish or unwell or notice any offensive discharge I would see your GP in case you need antibiotics.
Be reassured that the vast majority of perineal cuts and tears heal very well from the inside outwards and do not need any special treatment.

silverandblack Mon 29-Dec-14 22:09:31

BiggerYellowTaxi Mon 29-Dec-14 22:17:23

Mine came open due to infection and they didn't think re-stitch because of the infection. I was horrified but it did heal quite well in the end. I got some great advice on here about rinsing with the shower head rather than taking baths, letting it air dry or dry with hairdryer and exposing it to air as much as possible. Let us know how you get on flowers

silverandblack Mon 29-Dec-14 22:44:18

silverandblack Tue 30-Dec-14 14:36:08

Lovethebubbles Tue 30-Dec-14 14:46:35

This happened to me too. I actually don't think I was stitched up properly in the first place. I had 2 or 3 courses of antibiotics in the end, as I kept getting infections. I went for my 6 weekly check up and was told it was all healed inside but the outside doesn't look like it did pre-birth. It's only cosmetic though and hasn't caused me any problems since. Get some stronger pain killers from your GP... I'm sure I was prescribed diclofenac... Push for something stronger as they didn't do it until I asked a few times! Also, lavender oil in the bath helped soothe mine. I really feel for you, I remember how sore it was!

silverandblack Tue 30-Dec-14 15:25:46

Churchillian Tue 30-Dec-14 15:31:05

This happened to me too and they refused to re-stitch. It took nearly 6 months to heal even after antibiotics and has scarred. Please go back if it doesn't heal soon and don't be fobbed off like I was.

chockbic Tue 30-Dec-14 15:32:46

Oilatum is good for the bath. Its non perfumed and soothing.

lulubelle75 Tue 30-Dec-14 16:13:29

This happened to me, it was very painful. Try bathing in a capful of milk with 4 drops of lavender essential oil, then drying yourself with a hair dryer on cool, or naturally. Try and sit on a beanbag if you can - do not get one of those doughnut rings!

Parietal Tue 30-Dec-14 16:36:08

happened to me, they also refused to restitch. I was barely walking for about 6 weeks but eventually it healed up.

silverandblack Tue 30-Dec-14 17:51:20

Gen35 Tue 30-Dec-14 17:57:03

Too soon for your MiL's friends surely if you aren't recovered? I'd put them off personally. I thought I was never going to feel better, my stiches came out about 4 days on and had shooting pains and felt sore but by 6 weeks it was ok, I went back to the dr a few times and the hospital gynae too to make sure there was no infection as so uncomfortable...

silverandblack Tue 30-Dec-14 18:24:43

Gen35 Tue 30-Dec-14 18:39:45

Pretty much everything around my perineum, Dr said it all looked bruised - my back didn't hurt though - id keep getting it checked for regular reassurance, embarrassing but better than worrying about it. A 3 mile walk? Impressive, couldn't have done that!

Didiusfalco Tue 30-Dec-14 18:40:58

That doesn't sound normal OP I had an open episiotomy and infection and had it re stitched. The first midwife I saw wouldn't even examine me physically even though I was in agony. The second insisted the hospital take me back in where I saw a great consultant - convinced this helped my recovery.

Advice from the consultant on wound healing was shower and keep the wound as dry as possible. Don't soak in the bath as this will soften the wound. Certainly no drying with hair dryers as this can actually spread an infection.

If you feel fobbed off OP don't be afraid to go back and ask again.

silverandblack Tue 30-Dec-14 18:51:46

butternut22 Tue 30-Dec-14 18:56:58

That happened to me due to an infection. I had antibiotics and was told they rarely re stitch. Mine was fine within a couple of weeks. I spent alot of time lying on a towel on my front and my husband put warm salt water on my wound. Romantic!

ToddleWaddle Tue 30-Dec-14 19:24:02

When mine happened I rang maternity unit and was seen by registrar who said they did not restitch and gave antibiotics for infection. Every midwife and gp for a week after checking daily were horrified.
I made a private consultant appointment then midwife rushed through nhs gynaecologist appointment.
Consultant was lovely, quite happy it was healing well and reassured me. Advised shower after every time I went to toilet and keep really really dry. Lots of exposure to air.
Booked an appointment for a revision if necessary.
Thankfully it has healed really well and no further treatment was necessary.
Push to see a consultant if not happy.

Pico2 Wed 31-Dec-14 20:13:00

I had a MW say 'it's not infected because it doesn't smell'. Luckily we don't live in the dark ages where we diagnose by smell alone and my GP insisted on swabs. I had 4 weeks of antibiotics and was referred back to the hospital. In the hospital we insisted on a second opinion and that consultant referred me to the 'designer vagina team'. I was restitched after about 4 weeks, the registrar who saw me wouldn't have even had me seen by that point.

I think my point is not to accept what you are told, push to be seen by the right people and get the right care.

silverandblack Fri 02-Jan-15 17:19:13

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now