Talk

Advanced search

Water birth V Hospital birth.

(5 Posts)
Grace52616 Sun 28-Dec-14 23:01:31

I've heard magical things about home/water births. My mind is without a doubt made up, I would like a home birth in a pool. (Baby #4 due in April)

But whats everyones experiences, which have you preferred?

smile

ShoeJunkie Sun 28-Dec-14 23:03:27

I had a water birth in my local mlu - would highly recommend being in the water!

Grace52616 Sun 28-Dec-14 23:07:14

I keep thinking though, what if the water isn't warm enough!? grin

But im looking forward to it none the less. Just apprehensive about the 'unknown' - What benefits do you get from being in the water? X

bigfam Mon 29-Dec-14 05:50:18

I had a water birth with my 3rd also in a mlu, it's definitely more comfy than being on a hospital bed and helped with my back, I'd get crippling backache if I laid flat on my back.

fidgetywidget Mon 29-Dec-14 06:01:39

I had a water birth in a mlu with my 2nd, I tried to with my 1st but she wasn't in a great position & I needed an episiotomy, (still in mlu) labouring on my back felt like I was really fighting gravity!

2nd time round I got in the water when my tens was no longer distracting me enough. Experienced 1 contraction between taking tens off & getting in the water, it really made me appreciate the heat of the birth pool!
I felt a bit over whelmed by the heat of the water at 1 point but dh was sponging my face with cold water which really helped.
I was probably in the water 45min before DS came out, it definitely felt easier to go with the flow of the contractions & get into any position when in the water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now