Talk

Advanced search

can i request an induction at or after 37wks due to previous fast labour?

(11 Posts)
bigfam Sat 27-Dec-14 14:58:06

Has anyone had an induction at or after 37 weeks due to a previous fast labour. I've got 3 kids, and even with my first it was relatively fast. I went in and was only a cm dilated so they sent me home, 1/2 an hour drive got back laid in bed and said to my oh 'take me back now' drove back to hospital and was 7-8cm dilated, she was born within 6 hrs. My last lo, I woke at mid night to go to the toilet and felt a trickle down my leg, waited 10 mins then there was a bit more so phoned for an ambulance which arrived at 12.45, 20 min to get to hospital and she was born by 2.10am, so start to finish was only 2 hrs. All 3 were also born b4 due dates 1st 37+2 2nd 38+3 and 3rd exactly 39.
Any hoo, has anyone been induced because of previous fast labour? I know every baby is different but all of mine were good weights for their gestation and had no problems so could I request to be induced at 37 weeks incase labour begins early again? I'm so scared I won't make it to the hospital and end up giving birth in the car or that it will happen when my oh isn't around so I'll be on my own! Also I have a bit of an irritable uterus.
Sorry it's so long has anyone else been in the same sort of situation? I'm 35 weeks tomorrow btw! Thanks

Micah Sat 27-Dec-14 15:05:10

Have you thought about a home birth instead?

bigfam Sat 27-Dec-14 15:21:27

I'd feel more comfortable in hospital, I wouldn't want my little ones to witness it to be honest! Lol

SocksRock Sat 27-Dec-14 16:03:35

My first three were precipitate labour, with number 2 being 1hr45min from waters breaking to delivery (no contractions prior) and number 3 being 45 minutes from first contraction to delivery, waters broke on the way out. When I saw my GP for my 6 week check he said that I could ask for a planned early induction for a fourth child (not happening <sob>). However, I never went before 40 weeks and we live so rurally that they think they may not have got an ambulance to me in 45 minutes let alone a midwife for a home birth. Luckily with number 3 we were already at the hospital for a scheduled induction when she went...

Worth asking if you have had had precipitate labour before as theory has it they only get quicker...

Hobby2014 Sat 27-Dec-14 16:12:16

I read on here the other day that they can/ will sometimes admit you to hospital from 37 weeks and wait for it to kick of itself and then you'll be there ready. Not sure how true, like I say, I read it on here. But would mean no induction, which for me was awful!

emjaybee1 Sat 27-Dec-14 16:16:47

There's nothing to stop you from asking. I would personally do anything to avoid induction and much rather either have a planned homebirth or go to hospital calmly at the first signs of labour, with the understanding that I may need to come home again should it all tail off if I laboured as you have. Your body obviously does labour and birth really well. Best left alone.

MehsMum Sat 27-Dec-14 16:35:11

If it's any comfort, my third labour was 2 and a half hours - and the fourth was four hours. Much more manageable.

Do DOMINO deliveries still exist? Where you phone the midwife, she comes to you, and then takes you into hospital when you need to go and delivers you there? That might be a good compromise for you if you don't want to give birth at home, but there is a risk that you might because you labour so quickly and efficiently.

bigfam Sat 27-Dec-14 16:45:13

My mw haso never mentioned it even though at my last appointment I said how worried I was, my next appointment is in 2wks so might tell her again then that I've been even more worried, I was also diagnosed with an irritable uterus Christmas day as I went in with regular contractions. X

MuffinMcLay23 Sat 27-Dec-14 19:54:10

There is a significantly increased risk of respiratory distress at 37 weeks when compared to 39 weeks so I would be surprised if they would agree to induce you before then in the absence of any additional medical reason.
Like a poster above, I would avoid induction at all costs in any event!

bigfam Sat 27-Dec-14 20:50:50

My first was born at 37 weeks and she had no respiratory problems at all (I know all babies are different) I've read mixed views on induction.

Titsalinabumsquash Sat 27-Dec-14 21:00:39

I'm being induced at 35 weeks, I have had shockingly fast labours, I don't get any signs on hints if is our or contractions until baby crowns!
I have other health issues making it 35 not 37 but the trauma of the fast labours made me quite unwell (mh) so I'm not prepared to wait and see what happens, I'm not a candidate for a home birth and I'm 20 mins away from the hospital unusual traffic (I could have had DS3, 3 times in that time!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now