Advanced search

tmi but is lochia supposed to smell?

(16 Posts)
silverandblack Fri 26-Dec-14 23:24:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

silverandblack Fri 26-Dec-14 23:24:34

MabelSideswipe Fri 26-Dec-14 23:26:44

In my experience it does Snell like period but slightly 'heavier'. If it smells offensive you should go and get checked out just in case. Also if you feel unwell or feverish.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 26-Dec-14 23:27:59

It can be a sign you've got an infection. If you're feeling well in yourself it can wait till morning but please get seen by a GP or midwife tomorrow to rule it out or get abx.

twohearts Fri 26-Dec-14 23:36:37

I had my first baby earlier this year and found the smell of lochia to be absolutely vile. One of the worst things I've ever smelled. The books I read say it's meant to smell "earthy." Ugh. I did not have an infection, it's just gross smelling to some more the others I think. It'll die down in a few weeks. Congrats on your new baby!

silverandblack Fri 26-Dec-14 23:38:05

VivaLeBeaver Fri 26-Dec-14 23:46:40

The midwife won't bat an eyelid, she may well want to sniff a pad!!

A bad infection you can smell it as you walk into the house for a postnatal visit.

divingoffthebalcony Fri 26-Dec-14 23:47:05

It does have a very particular smell, different to menstrual blood. The postnatal body is a pretty gross thing!

Everything you've read says lochia has no smell? Well, that's wrong.

I wouldn't be immediately worried by what you've said, but do mention it to the midwife tomorrow.

FannyFifer Fri 26-Dec-14 23:49:39

It does have a very strange distinctive smell. Very different to menstrual blood I think.

silverandblack Sat 27-Dec-14 00:05:30

Haggisfish Sat 27-Dec-14 00:08:30

I was just going to say mine had a mincy, meaty sort of smell! I worried I had infection but I didn't.

ohthegoats Sat 27-Dec-14 09:42:24

Yes, smells like a butcher's shop I thought.

OddBoots Sat 27-Dec-14 09:46:11

Yes, a meaty smell is normal - unpleasant but normal. Do talk to your midwife though.

silverandblack Sat 27-Dec-14 20:14:12

Ilovechops Tue 30-Dec-14 19:33:01

Yuk, this has bought back memories!! Yes it smells, just as you said, I think I have quite a sensitive sense of smell and personally was very aware (and embarrassed) by it with DD1, smelt meat like as you say and not just like a period to me. I found it gross but never had an infection. I did however have a lot of stitches for a bad tear (could maybe have something to do with it as you say). I do however remember DH saying he couldn't smell it (I literally thought my hole body was giving the smell off!) and also it died down quickly as the bleeding tailed off. I think I smelt it for maybe a week or two and then it just went away.

Just preparing for birth of DC2 and not looking forward to that bit at all!!

Pregnantagain7 Wed 31-Dec-14 08:36:15

Mine smelled. Like a meaty, irony smell not nice. I bled for 5 weeks and at the end I was soo sick of it felt dirty all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now