Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Postnatal ward at King's, London

(18 Posts)
BigCatFace Fri 26-Dec-14 23:04:25

Hello! I'm 33 weeks and due to give birth at King's in London.

The postnatal experiences thread in AIBU has terrified me. I have bipolar disorder and am under the perinatal MH team. Part of this is having a "birth plan" and it means a minimum of 3 days on the postnatal ward. They are going to try and get me a side room so I can get sleep (high risk of PN psychosis) and my DH can apparently stay.

But reading those experiences has really worried me. I don't have a choice, I have to be on PN ward. Can anyone share their experiences of King's with me?

Thanks smile

MrsHoolie Sat 27-Dec-14 07:39:27

You will get a mixed bag of replies I'm sure but will start with mine which is a positive one. I was there for a week and yes they were busy but they were great. It was like a five star hotel compared to lewisham post natal ward.

clareypie Sat 27-Dec-14 19:14:23

I was there two years ago but only for one night. It was fine. Only problem was very a woman who had a lot of friends and family there, being really loud and a bit rude to staff but that could happen anywhere. Nothing wrong with staff or place at all. Very kind and friendly midwife, good bf advisors. They were very busy and hectic, with all that goes with that (ie took quite a while and a few requests to get my cannula removed from my hand) but it was all just an irritation rather than anyanythito worry about.

I think three days would make you a bit sick of it but honestly nothing terrible at all.

divingoffthebalcony Sat 27-Dec-14 19:19:05

If your DH can stay that will make all the difference in the world, honestly.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 27-Dec-14 19:21:38

I have read that thread with a great deal of sadness that women have to put up with such horrible situations. But I can honestly say that my postnatal experience was nothing like theirs, luckily for me. You will have your own room and your DH will be with you - that is going to make everything FINE.

Best of luck.

piechuck Sat 27-Dec-14 20:28:08

Hi Bigcat,

If you can get the side room then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, make that the focus of your birth/recovery plan and get your partner to push very strongly on your behalf that you get it (I think there's 2 or 3).

Best of luck, the staff are generally lovely thanks

TurquoiseDress Sat 27-Dec-14 23:31:54

MrsHoolie
I'm laughing at the comparison to Lewisham hospital...My SIL gave birth there & had a shit time...sadly it's probably very true that Kings is like a 5 star hotel by comparison.

Jackiebrambles Sat 27-Dec-14 23:37:52

My experience was pretty good op. Had an emcs so stayed 2 nights and DH stayed with me in my cubicle.

The midwives are very busy but we're kind and the food was pretty good!

It is noisy at night though, once one baby cries they all start!

It will be fine.

Jackiebrambles Sat 27-Dec-14 23:40:24

Sorry just re-read and you'll get a side room - you'll be absolutely fine!!

I'm pregnant again and I wouldn't go anywhere other than Kings to have my baby. I felt so safe first time, even with a hard labour and eventual section.

Finola1step Sat 27-Dec-14 23:45:39

Had my ds in Kings but it was nearly 7 years ago. Didn't stay long on post natal ward as wanted to get home and all was well.

4 years ago, when pg with dd, she was breech and I had her turned at Kings. All staff were lovely and very professional.

Kings, in a side room with your DH. With their experiences with supporting mums with MH needs (linked to the Maudsley), I would say all in all, you're in good hands.

HolyTerror Sat 27-Dec-14 23:55:02

I didn't give birth there, but friends did, and were positive about it. But I would say that in any case if you can have both your DH and a private room, that's already half the battle. My horrors in the pn ward of another London hospital were in large part because I was distressed (unable to bf and no one to help) so got pushed up the queue for a side room, but was left there alone, post-CS and hallucinating, overnight, and my DH sent home.

It sounds as if your set-up will work well. Best wishes.

Gunpowder Sun 28-Dec-14 04:01:03

I haven't given birth at Kings but friends have. I think a point massively in it's favour is that your DH and mum aren't restricted to normal visiting hours, so one can stay with you and help.

Thread in AIBU is sad but not universal. I had a good experience postnatally (private room, DH allowed to stay, great bf support).

Elletorrito Sun 28-Dec-14 05:07:23

Hi op. Dh being with you will make a massive difference. One practicality to think of is how he can conserve/ maintain his energies so he can look after you. Can you have tag team birth partners with your mum for example?

Maybe get your dh to read the Ainu thread and think of ways you and he could deal with the situations the posters experienced.

Good luck. It sounds like you are taking good steps already.

BigCatFace Sun 28-Dec-14 05:46:28

Thank you everyone, this is massively reassuring! In terms of birth partners, it'll just be him as my family live overseas.

BeakyMinder Sun 28-Dec-14 05:59:30

What a good idea Elletorrito - it can be scary for first time birth partners, so very good idea for your DP to do lots of prep for staying calm whatever happens so he can give you the reassurance you need.

munchkin2902 Sun 28-Dec-14 09:19:34

I posted on the AIBU thread about my experience at Kings two weeks ago. Not sure I'd advise you to read it!

Tbh my experience was compounded by three sleepless nights on the labour ward first having a horrible induction. In a shared room with people in labour already so moaning etc all night. After was slightly better. Some of the midwives on the post natal ward were amazing, sadly I was in such a fog I can't remember their names. I think Kayley was one of them - she was so lovely. It's good how they let partners stay although mine went home to get some much needed sleep the first night I was with the baby and it was dreadful with catheter etc. The worst part was the heat and the noise on a four bed ward so no sleep - if you have a private room you'll be fine. I think I offered to pay 1000 pound for one at some point but I was in hospital for a week. Would have paid more! Take your own towels and some snacks/ food - breakfast is served off a trolley, lunch is generally pasta or sandwiches etc but you do get a choice, for dinner they bring round a menu but it's all very stodgy. I ate a lot of sponge pudding and custard but I like the school dinners type if stuff. I have also heard it's far better than Lewisham!

SophieBarringtonWard Sun 28-Dec-14 14:42:37

I was on the postnatal ward at King's 6 years ago, so a bit out of date. Honestly, if I had been in a side room with my DH allowed to stay the night it would have been fine.

toastandmarmiterocks Fri 02-Jan-15 23:14:48

would someone mind posting a link to the AIBU postnatal thread? I've scoured but can't find it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now