Talk

Advanced search

help! in so much pain! :(

(13 Posts)
silverandblack Fri 26-Dec-14 04:18:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stargirl1701 Fri 26-Dec-14 04:23:31

Painkillers. Ibuprofen or Diclofenic with Paracetamol or Co-codamol. A glass of what you fancy!

Ice packs. Fill a condom with water, wrap in gauze and freeze. Pop into the gusset of your pants. Standard ice packs on your breasts.

Durex Aloe Vera lube on your stitches. Keep the bottle in the fridge. Very soothing! Arnica in your bath. Blow dry the stitches afterwards.

Sudafed and sage tea will dry up your milk. You can hand express a little off to ease your discomfort. Have a look on You Tube for videos of hand expression.

Congratulations on your new baby! thanks

Elletorrito Fri 26-Dec-14 04:26:20

You poor dear. Firstly and most basic is to take paracetamol and ibuprofen and stagger them. So eg paracetamol at 6, ibuprofen at 9 then paracetamol at 12 etc. set alarms and keep topped up for at least a couple of days. If that doesn't work then go to gp for stronger stuff.

Try and avoid skin to skin contact as this really boosts milk production. You may need to express a little in order to stop your boobs exploding. Try to keep that to minimum.

You won't have been discharged yet by community midwife? Give them a ring. I think they have a 24 hour service.

Good luck

Greenstone Fri 26-Dec-14 04:46:31

You poor thing. Good advice on the thread. Ibuprofen will particularly help, as of course will sleep so do what you can on that front. This time of the night is hard! (I'm up waiting to transfer 8 week old into cot.)
Congratulations and mind yourself!

Greenstone Fri 26-Dec-14 04:49:27

Oh and once your milk has dried up get wrap sling so you can carry her around. Babies doze well in them and the stretchy wrap type is easy on your back if you can't sit properly for a while.

ClaretAndBlue30 Fri 26-Dec-14 04:54:49

I had a forceps delivery and episiotomy (plus a post partum hemorhage hmm) when my daughter was born 9 weeks ago so can only sympathise, I felt awful too.

First and foremost, give yourself time. You and your body have been through a huge ordeal and need time to heal.

Do you have a DH/DP who could do a whole night of feeds for you? My DH did that for me and the whole nights rest did me the world of good. Your boob pain will pass, give it a few days.

A few drops of Tea tree oil on your maternity pad should help, I went through a whole (small) bottle in the weeks following birth.

Sit on a pillow. Get some ice packs to sit on as well. My midwives told me to take 2 paracetamol and 2 ibuprofen every four hours, this definitely helped with the pain and I relied on them for 3 weeks at least.

Pour a cup of water over yourself as you pee, causes less stinging that way.

Be mindful of piles, I didn't realise for ages that my pain was largely from this and anusol was like magic!

And trust that YOU WILL HEAL, your body is amazing and if anything like me, 9 weeks on I'm back cycling, exercising and feel pretty normal.

Take care and huge congrats on your baby smile

silverandblack Fri 26-Dec-14 04:56:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

icklekid Fri 26-Dec-14 05:02:01

I also had large episiotomy and i was in pain for quite a long time. The day aftwr discharge i mentioned to midwife and she examined me and it was infected. She was also very cross I hadn't been given painkillers when discharged from hospital and arranged a prescription for dh to pick up that day. I could cope after that. It might not be infected but do see gp/midwife and get pain killers

A sling as mentioned above was a life saver but not until you feel a bit stronger. .. take care and rest.

Peanut15 Fri 26-Dec-14 06:39:53

I was you 8 weeks ago any like a pp said, it really doesn't last long. I'm back to normal now too and have been for a few weeks.

The two things that really helped me were witch hazel on a maternity pad (get a couple of bottles, it's such good stuff you'll get through loads) and a donut cushion from boots.

BingBongMerrilyOnHigh Fri 26-Dec-14 06:50:38

Definitely sit on a cushion, even on the sofa. I had to do this until about 8 days after birth (10 days for hard chairs). Take it in the car as well if you go out, and don't let anyone hurry you when sitting down or getting up. I just used a normal thick support pillow like you'd have on the bed.
Also, stagger your pain relief, I did this so I wasn't left without anything for any period of time.

You will probably find that the stitches suddenly feel a lot better around 10-12 days (when they dissolve, assuming you had self dissolving ones).

funchum8am Fri 26-Dec-14 11:10:57

Hospital gave me diclofenac after forceps/episiotomy and they were great. You can buy them over the counter too. Alternate with paracetamol and stay topped up for a couple of days even if pain reduces as they build up in your system. Good luck, I healed fine in the end, it just took longer than I expected.

kalidasa Fri 26-Dec-14 11:23:49

Cold cabbage leaves in your bra also help with the breast pain - you feel a bit silly but it really does feel nice! Keep a big cabbage in the fridge and change them regularly. The cold feels nice and apparently the cabbage has some sort of mild anti-inflammatory effect . . .

Otherwise definitely take the painkillers regularly - don't miss a dose even if you are feeling OK, painkillers work better if they are preventing the pain breaking through rather than stopping it once it has. Get plenty of rest and if I were you I'd have a nice stiff drink too . . .

Take heart that the itchy stinging is actually a sign of blood flow and healing. And congratulations on your DD!

bonzo77 Fri 26-Dec-14 11:31:30

Regarding the boobs. My MW said to take painkillers and not touch them at all. Wear a bra all the time, even in the shower. After showering let them air dry, don't rub or pat them. Then put a new bra on. She said don't express as it will encourage milk production. Mine settled within a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now