Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

can you request consultant care?

(7 Posts)
babynelly2010 Thu 25-Dec-14 20:19:27

Not even pregnant yet but have a random question.
Could I request consultant care over Midwives?
We are wondering to may be have number 3.
1st was born in Birth centere, great MWs, long experience but beautiful waterbirth. Did not stitch well but or well...
Second in different birth centere, not so great MW, did not read my birthing plan but were great saving the situation when the baby got stuck and needed not to be born in the water. That experience and pregnancy left me with separated tummy muscles, hernia and a bit of prolapsing. Baby had low sugar and missed GD was suspected as I was huge but MWs kept saying I was fine even though measured off personal chart.
Now thinking to have a 3rd one before all repair surgeries and wonder could I just ask to be under consultant care? I would prefer to birth not in birthing centere with epidural and have too many concerns that MWs may think is all normal but I would feel safer with consultant.

EmbroideredCloths Thu 25-Dec-14 20:53:59

Yes you can.

It's your choice whether you have a hospital birth, birth centre birth or home birth. If you choose hospital then you will be automatically under a consultant. And you can get the ball rolling and request an antenatal clinic appointment with the consultant when you see your midwife. In light of your experiences it seems more than reasonable.

EmbroideredCloths Thu 25-Dec-14 20:55:07

You will still be cared for and seen by midwives. But overall responsibility for your care will be with the consultant.

capecath Sat 27-Dec-14 08:27:50

You certainly don't have to choose to be in birthing centre! But just because you end up in hospital unit or under consultant care doesn't mean things will be more straight forward... Ds1 was a premmie after a placental abruption and induction, ds2 had episiotomy and suction cup after he got stuck, bleed 1l from cervix, had fluid replacement. With ds3 so far have had strep-b and two bleeds from low placenta..... So have ended up under consultant care for all of mine and have to be in hosp unit. It doesn't necessarily mean much changes or can be controlled, just that there is extra help there if needed, which I find reassuring.

capecath Sat 27-Dec-14 08:31:06

Also just to say, the consultant is not going to necessarily think differently to the midwives either! I only had 1 appointment this time with consultant and they were all ready to let me go on my own with no intervention or further checks (besides placenta scan) until I bled for the second time.

tobysmum77 Sat 27-Dec-14 20:33:17

yes absolutely you can but it does not affect you risk level. Conversely I ended up under a consultant with dd2 and had a home birth

capecath Sat 27-Dec-14 21:02:28

What would be your main concerns, do you think? Glucose levels would have been picked up by blood tests or in urine but could also request a glucose tolerance test if you're concerned and it hasn't been offered. When you say you were huge, do you mean your bump or weight wise? A high bmi or baby who weighed off the chart may increase your risk assessment. If you are deemed low risk and request consultant led as you are allowed to do, this may only mean one appointment (chance to express your concerns) and birth in hospital ward mainly with midwives anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: