Talk

Advanced search

Sex after episiotomy problems

(11 Posts)
Raff14 Wed 24-Dec-14 22:53:27

Sorry if this thread is tmi! Iv nm as I know a few RL people on here and am embarrassed.

Basically since my episiotomy and tear 4months ago me and DP havnt been able to have sex as no matter how much lube we use he can't... Fit (as in too wide not too long). I expected childbirth to make things down there wider not narrower! Does anyone no if things will erm... Stretch back, or is this going to be like a permanent thing? Wev always have a very active sex life so being physically incapable is very frustrating confusedblush

WhispersOfWickedness Wed 24-Dec-14 23:03:05

You need to go back to your GP and tell them, they should refer you to a gynaecologist who will restitch if necessary. This happened to me, I healed badly with lots of scar tissue, I had surgery under a local anaesthetic when DC was 10 months old. DC2 was conceived two weeks later, so recovery was very fast grin

spinduchess Wed 24-Dec-14 23:07:48

Yeah you've been stitched too tightly. Back to the GP asap.

Raff14 Wed 24-Dec-14 23:08:57

Recovery from the episiotomy was horrible, so painful, was recovery from the restitching as bad?

Raff14 Wed 24-Dec-14 23:10:12

After rereading your post that seems like a stupid question, ignore!

WhispersOfWickedness Wed 24-Dec-14 23:29:05

That's ok, i'm happy to go into more detail smile
Recovery was absolutely fine, it healed so quickly.
I was in so much pain after the birth, couldn't sit properly for months and couldn't stand for long. I was exhausted though, from a long labour, then sleep deprivation, plus I was very bruised down there, had lochia to deal with, breastfeeding to establish and was trying to get my head around having a new baby. By the time he was 10 months old and I had the surgery, none of those factors applied (well, except the sleep deprivation hmm), so I was in a much better place physically to have the surgery and recover fast smile

Applesauce29 Sat 27-Dec-14 14:52:59

I'm in a similar situation. The consultant told me i have excessive scar tissue and did a steroid injection to try break it up - apparently it has a 55% success rate, so worth a shot. We haven't attempted sex again since.

Molotov Sat 27-Dec-14 18:04:10

I had an episiotomy for dd1 in Feb 2009. Sex was agony for months afterwards - I think it felt normal again by about the autumn of that year, so it took several months to heal. Really painful. They never tell you these things either before or after the birth.

My DH was understanding and gentle and we took things at my pace. You need to relax, use lube and maybe have a drink or two.

It will be okay x

Molotov Sat 27-Dec-14 18:06:32

* but if you have any concerns you should see your GP.

thomasstockmann Sat 27-Dec-14 19:37:03

Woman's health physio might be your first port of call (I mean after GP but before gynae/surgeon). As well as pelvic floor, they also deal with scarring.
They can teach you how to massage the scar and also use dilators (you start small obviously). It might take a couple of months of daily massage (to move from small to medium to big/regular size) and intercourse the first few times might be awkward/short-lived but scar tissue does really change.
All the best.

Raff14 Sun 28-Dec-14 22:13:52

Thanks for the replys smile just didn't want to go back to the docter to be told I'm just being silly as it's obviously quite a sensitive problem blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now