Talk

Advanced search

face, leg and arm numbness after labour/epidural

(3 Posts)
arianne21 Mon 22-Dec-14 18:04:46

I gave birth to my first baby on 10/12/2014. I had gas and air, then morphine, then an epidural, which worked better on the left side of my body. After 9 hours I wasn't dilating enough, baby's heart rate was dropping, so I was rushed in for a C-section, I was under general anaesthesia.
Ever since I have had numbness and dull feeling in my right leg, my right arm and the right hand side of my face is slightly numb too, I have lost feeling in parts of my body and its so frustrating.
A neurologist I've seen said its not from an epidural, then another neurologist said an epidural can cause this.
I am waiting for an MRI scan. I have been told it should just go away on its own. But I have no guarantees......I am a nervous wreck sad I am very upset over it.

Has anyone had anything similar? Does it go away?

Thank you

Pico2 Mon 22-Dec-14 18:15:32

Not quite the same (as it made more physiological sense in my case). I lost sensation and movement in my right leg below the knee after having DD (called footdrop). Initially I assumed that it was epidural related as the epidural had been the thing to take the sensation away. However it turned out to be a crushed nerve. Rare enough not to be mentioned in pregnancy books, but common enough for consultants to know what it was (though I never was seen by a consultant). They said that it would get better in 6 weeks. It was pretty scary, but it did resolve in 6 weeks. I then had a bit of private physio as I had lost a bit of range of movement. I don't have any long lasting effects from it.

arianne21 Mon 22-Dec-14 18:23:52

Thank you, I am glad yours has resolved!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now