Talk

Advanced search

Bath ruh or soutmead hospital bristol

(12 Posts)
elif2013 Fri 19-Dec-14 16:36:11

Hello im new to this site im not sure if im posting in right place
I recently moved to south glos area and im pregnant with no2 im worried which hospital to pick as no one i know has been to these hospitals would be nice for advice

TimefIies Fri 19-Dec-14 20:05:10

They're both good hospitals, so I would pick the nearest one, unless you want some special support or facilities that might vary between the two.

Knottyknitter Fri 19-Dec-14 20:07:37

When are you due?

I'm booked at Southmead in about a fortnight.

RiojaHaze Fri 19-Dec-14 20:08:54

I had all 3 DCs in RUH and while I think it's brilliant and I cannot fault them, it is a very busy hospital and you may not get seen to as quickly as you want.

I stayed in there for days going through the induction procedure because I wasn't a priority so constantly got bumped down the list, was moved from bed to bed to bed to make room for others and had to wait for a whole day to get seen to so that I could leave.

If you don't have to go to a hospital, I would recommend a local midwife led unit first with one of the hospitals in your birth plan in case of emergency (this happened with DC3!)

Superlovely Fri 19-Dec-14 20:15:18

If you live near Chippenham you could go to one of the big hospitals and then go to there afterwards for amazing aftercare. Or you could just go there.
I had two of my three at RUH and it was excellent but I went to a smaller unit afterwards.

elif2013 Fri 19-Dec-14 20:42:33

Thanks for replys
Im not sure if i will be alllwoed in medwife led as my baby needs to have and injection after birth due to a health problem i have , most ppl are saying southmead parking is not great which not really good :/ my friend told me to go to ruh i was born there toosmile Knottyknitter im not due till next year but i have to pick hospital at midwife appt thats why im asking smile

RiojaHaze Fri 19-Dec-14 20:48:53

Parking at RUH is hit and miss. We've had no problems sometimes but have also ended up late for scans as there was nowhere to park!

elif2013 Fri 19-Dec-14 20:56:08

Thats not good RiojaHaze were you still seen for scan ?

RiojaHaze Fri 19-Dec-14 21:23:20

Yeah I left DP circling the carpark while I went in! Luckily they were so busy they were running stupidly late too.
It seems the days that they have certain clinics on you can't park anywhere there, I've had the same problem there for the dental clinic.

elif2013 Fri 19-Dec-14 21:33:09

Oh no what a pain! Who would want to go to scan with out OH not very good ive heard same about southmead i went to st mikes hospital in bristol for first birth same but thank god we went 20mins early

Knottyknitter Sat 20-Dec-14 00:27:21

Southmead has the tertiary neonates unit if that's what you need. Parking is a nightmare at both, depending on time of course.

You can change your mind later on if you need to.

Wednesbury Sat 20-Dec-14 21:35:46

I'm going to Southmead next week for DC3. My other two were also born there. I found the care very good both from midwives and doctors. Although I am marginally closer to the RUH I have opted for Southmead as I trust the care there (they saved DC2's life). The parking is bad though and in late pregnancy I have had to get DH to take me because the antenatal clinic is a good walk from the main car park. However, it's not that big a deal - I tend to aim to get there 30 mins ahead of the appointment time to make sure I can find a space, pay (it's all cash only btw, £3 for 2 hours) and walk to the antenatal clinic.

I have only heard positive things from friends who have had babies at Southmead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now