Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

9 days after your csection, how did you feel?

(43 Posts)
Roonerspism Thu 18-Dec-14 09:13:03

That's it really! This is third baby but first csection and I still feel - well, utterly crap really.

The pain is fine. But I feel completely washed out, achey in my bones, constantly cold and if I leave the house I want to come straight home to bed. Doesn't help I'm up half the night feeding...

Is this normal? <hellish> I am very probe to having retained products so I am wondering if an infection is brewing or if I'm just underestimating how bad a csection makes you feel....

RedToothBrush Thu 18-Dec-14 15:35:17

That's how I felt. I wasn't expecting it.

I didn't have an infection.

If you are concerned though, or it continues I would get checked. I think it took two weeks before I started to feel noticeably better.

autumnboys Thu 18-Dec-14 15:45:21

Did you lose a lot of blood for any reason (besides the c/s)? You sound very like how I felt after my second section which was for abruption. i was quite anaemic- have you had your iron checked? Hope you feel better soon.

Roonerspism Thu 18-Dec-14 16:04:40

Thanks both - really appreciate it.

Yes, I am anaemic. I guess that plus lack of sleep isn't helping.

I am eating a tonne of red meat and taking floradix. Does the 2 week mark mean a turning point? I hope so!!

weebarra Thu 18-Dec-14 16:06:28

Completely normal. I've had three sections and wasn't feeling up to much at ten days with any of them. By 2/3 weeks I was feeling much more human.

SmileAndNod Thu 18-Dec-14 16:12:41

I'd say completely normal. After my first I recovered quite quickly. But after my second shock it was a good six weeks before I felt anything approaching normal actually I still don't

You're still v early days, with two other children to look after, a baby to feed and recovering from major surgery. Go easy on yourself but of course if you're worried mention it to your midwife before you're signed off.

Oh and congratulations!

Roonerspism Thu 18-Dec-14 16:48:09

Thanks weebarra and smile

I guess I though the recovery couldn't be that bad....! <naive> I felt so well in pregnancy that its hard to believe a week and a half ago I was working out and now I'm a sofa bound potato...... ;)

MmeLindor Thu 18-Dec-14 16:50:53

Completely normal. Couldn't believe how long I took to recover, in comparison to the previous birth.

Relax and try not to do too much (and belated congratulations!)

Roonerspism Thu 18-Dec-14 16:56:42

It's no walk in the park is it mmelindor? After two crappy normal births, I still bounced back within hours...

I will get better, wont I?!....

BikeRunSki Thu 18-Dec-14 17:03:40

That's how I felt 9 days after my second cs. In fact I felt pretty crap for 9 weeks - I couldn't stand up straight without pain for 9 weeks after that one. It's hard recovery with an older child/children to look after.

I bounced back from my first cs (first child too) withing about a fortnight, but it was late summer, lovely and warm and i didn't also have a 3 year old to look after.

It does get better, but you do need to take it easy. I know that this is much easier said than done! You are allowed to ask for an awful lot of help for a good couple of months after a CS, do it!

Congratulations and happy Christmas snuggles.

MmeLindor Thu 18-Dec-14 17:06:08

It will, and surprisingly fast. Honest.

Was it a planned CS? Mine was a crash section, and I spoke to a friend who'd had a planned CS and she was up and about in no time. I put it down to the extra stress of the GA and emergency situation.

Millie3030 Thu 18-Dec-14 17:08:09

Erghh I felt awful, knackered for ages, and hurt to cough, laugh, get up. It's major surgery, you will have lost blood, a lot, and you have a deep big wound. Mine weeded for ages, is the dressing off? Is it sealed/healed all the way across?

Erghhh makes me feel funny even thinking of it again, so sorry you are in this bit again, it's tough, and you have other kids, you are a legend! Hope you feel better soon. flowers

LittlePink Thu 18-Dec-14 17:40:46

I felt pretty awful after my emcs. Took 3 weeks not to need regular painkillers and was black and blue from several failed cannulations and felt like I'd been beaten up. Was utterly exhausted after a 3 day labour. Took a good while to get over it all.

Roonerspism Thu 18-Dec-14 18:12:05

Thanks. Your nice kind posts have made me cry smile

(It was a planned section. Perhaps I'm just a woose)

I feel utterly pathetic but am going to perk up and remind myself it's only for a short while (and worth it for my newborn cuddles)

MmeLindor Thu 18-Dec-14 19:07:16

I had a horrible cold which I still haven't forgiven SIL for since she brought DN to stay a week before I was due and he had a stinking cold and it hurt so much to cough, I thought I'd burst my stitches.

The physiotherapist told me to cough over my shoulder, as it takes the pressure off the diaphragm. Helped a lot.

LowLieTheFields Thu 18-Dec-14 19:25:34

I've had 3 C-sections and 9 days is nothing! You'll look back in a couple of months and laugh at how impatient you were to feel normal again.

Even after my third I was pestering gp and hv within 2 weeks as to when I could have a bubble bath. In my head that was the main thing I wanted to do. In reality, my stitches split and i ended up back at square one.

Go easy on yourself, you've just had major surgery. Only do what you have to do, the rest can wait.

Roonerspism Thu 18-Dec-14 19:57:00

* low* full respect to you for having 3 of these things.

I'm a terrible patient. smile

So it really is a good 4 weeks then.....

Notfastjustfurious Thu 18-Dec-14 20:09:47

I thought it pretty much the worst I have ever felt. The pain was awful and my wound was infected 3 bloody times! The midwife said it was major surgery and after similar surgery you would not be going home so quickly and you certainly wouldn't be looking after a baby. Just take it really easy and keep on top if your pain relief it will be fine. Oh and don't rush to go on a swing, that was a surprise ouch weeks down the line.

Millie3030 Thu 18-Dec-14 21:21:45

Your not supposed to drive for 6 weeks apparently, I think it's a insurance thing. It's crazy if you had your appendix out, or other abdominal surgery you would be off work just resting for weeks, but have a c section and you are expected to look after the baby straight away, it's bloomin mental! I think c sections should come with a free nanny for 2 weeks wink

How does it feel compared to the labour you had before? I often wonder if I had another if I would opt for a c section or try to deliver naturally. Baby made the decision for me first time, but you need to have had both to be able to compare. What are your thoughts?

weebarra Thu 18-Dec-14 21:32:08

The driving thing is weird. With DS1, 7 years ago, had to be signed off as fit to drive by GP, but with DD last year, the insurance co said I was fine as soon as I felt fine, which was 2 weeks.

Northernexile Thu 18-Dec-14 21:39:59

I am three weeks and a day after my second CS. I have found the recovery this time much better, and I would say I started to feel pain free about a week ago, whereas last time I was definitely still in quite a bit of pain at this stage. No idea why, as I have an almost 3yo to look after this time!

I think every CS is different, but I would expect this time next week you will feel a lot better, just in time for Christmas! fgrin

MmeLindor Thu 18-Dec-14 22:21:09

Millie
I was up and about, pushing DD around the ward in her little bassinet thing, within hours of VB. After CS it took me days before I could sit up in bed unaided.

If I had the choice, I would go for VB.

I do remember bruising my ribs a few years ago, and saying that was worse than childbirth, but on reflection I think the CS was worse than anything.

Roonerspism Thu 18-Dec-14 23:02:44

I have to be honest and say I would never do a csection again, based on my experience so far!

With #1, I had a PPH and third degree tear and had a spinal for stitches. I was walking the dog within 2 days!

This was an ELCS for me as I have had a prolapse since #2.

Perhaps I have been unlucky, but I have been taken aback by how rubbish I have felt.

MmeLindor Thu 18-Dec-14 23:33:17

I wonder if it's the way the press report CS and the whole 'too posh to push' crap. It's made it seem like the easy option, which leaves women unprepared for what is basically major abdominal surgery.

Mrsgrumble Thu 18-Dec-14 23:40:38

I'm two weeks post second section and I still feel rough. Coped much better last time and haven't stuck the breastfeeding. I felt weak, neck strain, headache, scar still sore.

I felt good initially, after the main pain relief died down, I felt rotten.

I don't think I want to go through all this again so I have told dh we better be careful ;)

Please get checked out though - always better to be safer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now