Advanced search

Need help - to cs or vbac

(6 Posts)
dingalong Tue 16-Dec-14 21:34:49

Had an appointment with consultant on Monday. Was all set to request elcs (ventouse/forceps and long recovery/surgery first birth and elcs second one). I also had surgery for ectopic pregnancy 18 months ago

My consultant said it was my choice but further surgery could have implications later on. I need my gall bladder out and she said that each surgery comprises future surgeries.

She recommended vbac with close monitoring and cs if pushing stage is unsuccessful again (3 hours pushing stage with both) Husband is dead set against another 'natural birth' as I guess he remembers them better than I do.

Any advice or comments ?

SomeSunnySunday Wed 17-Dec-14 06:36:24

Personally I'd be wary of a potential section at fully dilated. Mine was quite traumatic (ultimately fine, but it was a long recovery for me and the baby).

Did your labour have no signs of being slow before 2nd stage? I thought that my first labour had all gone wrong at the end (also a 3 hour second stage, culminating in a failed forceps attempt and EMCS), but when the consultant talked me through it recently, it was clear that DC wasn't descending properly, and my first stage was also slow (and ultimately augmented). The consultant explained that in the context of a VBAC if faced with a similar labour he'd have proceeded to section far earlier - somewhere around 4/5 cm where I first seemed "stuck". My hospital put time limits on VBAC labours.

I chose an ELCS for DC2, but sort of wish that I'd at least tried for a VBAC (mainly because I'm now facing a 3rd c-section, and I know that it will be a little more complicated). I was so terrified of it all going wrong right at the end again, and didn't fully appreciate that this scenario was unlikely in the context of a VBAC.

I opted for a VBA2C for DC3 with an ELCS at 40 weeks if nothing had happened. This decision has been constantly under review with lots of growth scans etc later on. I felt quite comfortable with trying a VBAC but it seems it's not to be - I'm now 40 weeks and so I think an ELCS is inevitable (and imminent!), but once I fully understood the process VBAC didn't seem like a bad option.

I would make sure that you are really clear on what parameters they would set for a VBAC, and what will be offered in terms of growth scans etc, before you make your final decision. Good luck!

Peanut15 Wed 17-Dec-14 06:52:31

I had an emcs with ds1 2 years ago. 7 weeks ago I had a vbac that ended in forceps + episiotomy + tear + internal stitches. They monitored me a lot more closely and like a pp had time limits on how long they'd leave me. The first week after I hobbled about wishing I'd had an elcs as the pain was horrific. However my milk came in a lot quicker wthan with ds1 and feeding was a million times easier to establish. From weeks 2-6 the recovery was soooo much easier than my cs - especially with a toddler. I'm not sure how is have coped without lifting him and driving about.

Good luck with the decision.

dingalong Wed 17-Dec-14 08:17:37

In both cases I dilated normally but in both cases contractions stopped. I had chemical drips to try to restart labour. In the case of first labour forceps and Ventouse were used. With second labour ds was 10 lbs so they said forceps probably wouldn't work and they might as well proceed to cs.

SomeSunnySunday Wed 17-Dec-14 08:24:08

Ok my honest opinion is that in your position and as you have previously had a 10lb baby I'd be having an ELCS (assuming that this is your last baby?). My elective section with DS2 was so nice and calm and I didn't regret it at all until I was pregnant again and facing another section (and even then, I don't know why I'm worrying because it was very relaxed, nothing like my EMCS at all).

dingalong Wed 17-Dec-14 08:37:37

I was all set for elcs but now I'm less sure. The consultant spent lots of time going through the options. We even discussed tubal ligation (definitely don't want any more kids), but she said mirena should help with v heavy periods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now