Talk

Advanced search

33 week preemie born, hospital stay?

(25 Posts)
Myablack Mon 15-Dec-14 10:42:00

Hello
Yesterday I gave birth to a beautiful little boy at 33 weeks 24 hours after my waters broke and 4 hours after contractions started. Natural birth and was over in 10 mins!

Baby Austin weighed 5 pounds 7 ounces which I assume is great for his age!

Does anyone know the expected time of a nciu stay? I have asked the ladies here but they can't say for sure, I was due on the 30th of Jan. So I'm asking people who also had a baby at a similar gestation how long their babies were in nciu for? He's currently on about 27% oxygen, he can cry/open his eyes and he is feeding from a syringe. He does have an oxygen mask on currently though.

Thankyou smile

DixieNormas Mon 15-Dec-14 10:49:53

My 3rd was born at 32 weeks weighing 4lb 4. We had 3 days in nicu then he came up to me on the ward for 6 days until he could control his own temp for 24 hours and he started putting on weight

Ds2 was a 34 weeker weighing 5lb 5 and came straight up to the ward, we were in for 4 days just making sure he was feeding properly and again gaining a bit of weight

Congratulations

anothercantthinkofanothername Mon 15-Dec-14 10:50:29

Congratulations! DS was born at 34 weeks and was a bit smaller than yours. He was in special care for a couple of days just for a bit of help and then in the ward with me. We were in for 9 days BUT that was because he then became badly jaundiced and then they decided he wasn't putting on weight. ( he was- the scales were wrong!). It was one thing after another really but he was BF really well but we didn't really need to be there that long.

LocalEditorEssex Mon 15-Dec-14 10:54:46

Congratulations smile

Thats a great weight, my ds3 was 32 weeks and 3lb 8..he stayed in SCBU for 5 weeks until he weighed 4lb 12 (I think it was).

enqueue Mon 15-Dec-14 17:20:32

My son is currently in NICU having been born 2 weeks ago at 31+2, so our due dates were almost the same! My hospital has told me they keep them til minimum 35 weeks gestational age and 1.8kg. They also have to be showing hunger and feeding well.

ToriB34 Mon 15-Dec-14 21:24:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Honsandrevels Mon 15-Dec-14 21:29:59

Congratulations! My dd2 was born at 33+1, 4lb 6, and was in for almost 3 weeks. I bf so she had to be able to manage all her feeds by herself without any tube feeding for 48 hrs before we could be discharged. There wasn't a minimum weight or duration of stay.

enqueue Tue 16-Dec-14 08:14:01

I should say that we were also told to view anything before our due date as a bonus though this is obviously the most conservative approach.

eurochick Tue 16-Dec-14 08:17:54

My daughter was born at 34 weeks weighing 3lb6. She had a couple of episodes of jaundice and a uti, but otherwise just needed to learn to feed. She was in nicu/scbu for 3 weeks and one day. Congratulations on the birth of your son. NICU is tough but he will be home with you soon.

BikeRunSki Tue 16-Dec-14 08:19:34

Congratulations everyone on this tgread. I was born at 33 weeks (4lb 15 oz) 40+ years ago. My mum was told I had 24 hrs and a priest was duly called. Turns out I was a fighter. Well done to all the little fighters on this thread. I was kept in until my due date - Christmas Day!

Merry Christmas mums and tiny babies.

TeaandHobnobs Tue 16-Dec-14 08:58:30

What ToriB said...
DS was born 31+5, weighing 4lbs 11.5oz - we were told to expect to go home by his due date, but after the first week, he was starting to maintain his own temperature and getting the hang of feeding. He was discharged after 16 days.

JellyBabiesSaveLives Tue 16-Dec-14 09:02:49

Ds2 was born at 33 weeks, a pound lighter than yours, came home after 2 weeks. He was tubefed at home though while continuing to get the hang of bf'ing (3rd preemie so I knew what I was doing!).

minipie Tue 16-Dec-14 09:51:05

Congratulations! What a great weight (and a great name smile)

DD was born 34+0, 4 lb 15, a few hours after my waters went. She didn't need any breathing help just jaundice, heat regulation and learning to breastfeed.

Jaundice and heat regulation were sorted within about 2 weeks iirc, but the learning to feed took longer so overall we were in SCBU for 3 weeks 3 days.

Later turned out she was tongue tied so I suspect without that (or if I'd switched to bottles) she'd have learned to feed quicker and been out quicker.

How are you doing?

sunflowered Thu 18-Dec-14 22:00:18

I hope you're feeling ok this evening and that your little one is still doing well.

My dd was born at 33+5 in January and came home 4 weeks later - she had to be intubated briefly so spent a few days in nicu before stepping down to scbu when she was completely off oxygen. She was regulating her own temperature pretty quickly after that but took aaaaages to get the hang of feeding for herself.

I knew someone whose 34 weeker had gone home at 10 days so I was incredibly frustrated when 10 days came, then 15, then 20... Hopefully you'll be home quickly but hang on in there if you're not home in the next week or two, you'll get there eventually.

plentyofshoes Sat 20-Dec-14 12:10:08

Congratulations smile
With my first at 33 weeks we were in for 2 weeks.
With my second 33 weeker, one week, but feeding was established faster.

elliejjtiny Sat 20-Dec-14 18:37:54

Congratulations. My 35 weeker came home at 39+3 corrected and my almost 37 weeker came home at 37+6.

Alyx80 Sat 20-Dec-14 20:23:39

My 4lb 13oz son was born at 34+6 and was in NICU/SCBU for a week but we were told to expect anything up to his due date.

Titsalinabumsquash Sat 20-Dec-14 20:27:43

Argh I'm being induced at 35 weeks, they've not mentioned an inpatient stay, DS was 36 weeks and we went home within 2 hours.

I must remember to ask the consultant next appointment I have. confused

womaninthewildsofwales Mon 22-Dec-14 07:04:19

Congratulations! He's a great weight!

Newest ds born at 34+6w at a hefty for gestation 5lb 4oz, we went home after 6 days (possibly because I'd warned them that any longer and I'd go loopy!) ds had severe jaundice caused by HDN and was under the lights but otherwise a strong little chap who fed well from the off and maintained his temp brilliantly! He never had to go up to scbu- stayed in the postnatal ward with me.

Good luck, with anything premmie related every case is different, most scbu nurses will have a gestational age that they 'don't trust' because babies can vary so much. Our peadiatrician didn't trust any 35 weekers regardless of how well they seemed to be doing so always takes a cautious approach!

Good luck and enjoy the support you'll be getting :-) I remember the car journey when we were finally allowed home... There was the sudden realisation that I was now fully responsible for this little dot of a thing; 2 weeks on and I'm totally relaxed about it!

Enjoy your tiny newborn :-D

cookielove Mon 22-Dec-14 07:20:40

Ds was born at 34+1, weighed 5 lb 4 oz and was in nicu for 10 days! He never needed oxygen and was fine keeping his temperature but was unable to feed and got jaundice several times.

Singsongmama Mon 22-Dec-14 07:27:46

Congratulations flowers Wishing baby Austin all the very best.

ToriB34 Wed 24-Dec-14 22:19:40

ToriB34 Wed 24-Dec-14 22:21:01

notsogoldenoldie Wed 24-Dec-14 22:26:02

Congratsflowers. Hope littlun is doing ok.

Dd was born at 29 weeks and weighing 2lb 6oz. She was in scbu until 3 weeks before her due date, weighing nearly 5lb.

capecath Sat 27-Dec-14 07:57:39

Congrats!! I think it can depend on how well they are feeding and if you are planning to breastfeed. Ds1 was born 33+5 5lb2oz, a little jaundice, trouble maintaining temp, but no major issues. He stayed for 4 weeks, largely because he was struggling to breastfeed. Was also told full term or 38 weeks was the target. A friends 4th child at same gestation recently went home after just a week!! But he was feeding really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now