Talk

Advanced search

When to go into hospital?

(13 Posts)
Nononon Sun 14-Dec-14 20:45:55

My contractions are 5 mins apart, the odd one has been less than that. They are lasting between about 45-50 seconds and are like bad period pains. Hospital is 30-40mins away. This is my second baby but I was induced with my first so being at home with contractions is a new experience for me.

I have phoned the hospital and they've said my contractions need to be longer before I go in. Keen to wait at home as long as possible but also nervous about leaving it too late.

It all seems a bit easy at the moment despite the frequency of the contractions. How should I feel before I go in?

bambinibop Sun 14-Dec-14 20:49:50

Hmm...tricky one. That's quite close together. But I have to say by the time I went to the hospital the pain was much more intense than period pains, it had got to the point where I had to stop what I was doing and really breathe through the pain and grip a hand / get onto all fours etc.

Having said that I think I left it a bit late to go as I was fully dilated when I arrived and at needing to push immediately it was all a bit panicky.

Maybe call the hospital again in a little while and mention how far you need to travel? We were only 15 minutes away.

Have you had a bloody show yet?

How exciting good luck!

GlitzAndGigglesx Sun 14-Dec-14 20:52:56

Aww best of luck!! I remember with my first they said wait until they're 1-3 minutes apart but I couldn't bare it and we drove there. About the same distance as yours and I was 4cm by the time we got there

GingerbreadPudding Sun 14-Dec-14 20:56:49

I've always understood three minutes apart is the time to get moving to hospital as the journey often slows things down so you need to be established. I'd hold on until I got really uncomfortable and struggling.

bambinibop Sun 14-Dec-14 20:58:59

I was still 4 or 5 mins apart when I went to the hospital because the pain had got so intense
And then it turned out I was fully dilated..so these things don't always go exactly to plan!

Nononon Sun 14-Dec-14 21:17:26

Thanks for your replies. I had a show earlier (well brown mucas) - again new to me after being induced last time. They're now 3 minutes apart but seem less intense and are lasting 30ish seconds.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 14-Dec-14 21:21:23

Please go in.

I was having 5min ctxns with my second and rang labour ward who said to pop up. Arrived at 8.30am and baby was here 10.22am.

Please.go in!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 14-Dec-14 21:22:01

Secnd babies usually come quick!

bambinibop Sun 14-Dec-14 21:58:31

Did you tell them you'd had the discharge when you called? They may want you to come in

Nononon Sun 14-Dec-14 22:20:42

Yes the lady I spoke to was very calm.

I feel like it's dying off now annoyingly. Contractions more spread out and less intense. Grrrrrr what's going on!!?

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 15-Dec-14 12:48:00

Any arrival yet???

Nononon Wed 17-Dec-14 23:32:23

Yes I had my baby the morning of the 15th. Went into hospital at 1am in the end but it was still another 9 hours before baby finally arrived. Great natural labour though with no intervention unlike my first experience

Keepontrudging Sat 20-Dec-14 19:28:20

Congrats smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now