Advanced search

WTF is this true!!???

(73 Posts)
silverandblack Fri 12-Dec-14 21:28:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PreMadonna Fri 12-Dec-14 21:29:35

No. It's not true.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 12-Dec-14 21:31:28

No. I frequently suture women after childbirth and use lots of local anaesthetic.

CantBeBotheredThinking Fri 12-Dec-14 21:32:15

I was injected with a local anesthetic prior to being stitched up, I used the gas and air to distract myself from what they were doing more than needing it for pain relief.

CrispyCrochet Fri 12-Dec-14 21:32:20

I believe the stitching up takes place with a local anaesthetic.

BigfootFilesHisToesInYourTea Fri 12-Dec-14 21:33:58

I got gas and air AND local anesthetic for my stitches.

DynamicTension Fri 12-Dec-14 21:34:30

I can't remember if I had local as well but I was stiched with gas and air and it hurt like a bugger but I got through it! DD was worth it. grin

Dazedconfused Fri 12-Dec-14 21:34:45

nope gave birth 10 weeks ago was given local anaesthetic I think before stitches and couldn't feel them going in (and i had no pain relief giving birth so wasn't left over from that)

Noteventhebestdrummer Fri 12-Dec-14 21:35:25

Please don't worry. If you need stitches then you'll get lots of anaesthetic and gas and air too.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 12-Dec-14 21:37:04

I got gas and air to get me through the injection of general anaesthetic. grin Please don't worry.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 12-Dec-14 21:37:22

local. not general. duh

jalopyjane Fri 12-Dec-14 21:37:34

I had local anesthetic as well as gas and air. It really wasn't bad! I was offered a general anesthetic but turned it down.

treaclesoda Fri 12-Dec-14 21:37:52

I do know quite a lot of people that have had stitches without anaesthetic. My sister was told by a doctor that she didn't need any pain relief at all as there are no nerve endings in that part of the body hmm. But that was a few years ago and I really hope that things have improved since then. Most people I know have had gas and air for their stitches, but not local anaesthetic, I thought that was standard? And btw I agree, I think it is barbaric.

silverandblack Fri 12-Dec-14 21:38:23

Darquesse Fri 12-Dec-14 21:38:48

I had stitches in two labours and didn't feel a thing. I am guessing I had a local but I also had the gas and air.

Ihateparties Fri 12-Dec-14 21:39:57

I had an episiotomy stitched with local anaesthetic and on another occasion had a small tear stitched without. Oddly it was fine. Not even slightly traumatic in fact I hadn't thought about the fact there wasn't any anaesthetic at all until reading this thread.

Muchtoomuchtodo Fri 12-Dec-14 21:40:12

I had a spinal anaesthetic for my innards to be repaired after the birth of ds1.

I was bleeding more than they were happy with and they couldn't find the cause so I was taken to theatre for them to have a good delve about and sort me out.

I felt like I'd been kicked by a horse once the anaesthetic and pr painkillers had worn off, but I did have a catheter so didn't have to get up to wee for the first 36 hours!!

jalopyjane Fri 12-Dec-14 21:41:23

Sorry I wasn't offered a general (doh) - I was given the choice of having it done in theatre but opted not to.

BlueberryWafer Fri 12-Dec-14 21:41:43

I had local anaesthetic before being stitched I never really felt it to be honest.

treaclesoda Fri 12-Dec-14 21:41:59

silver maybe some of them have been unlucky and have been stitched without anaesthetic, or maybe they had anaesthetic and it didn't work all that well? But in any case, the good thing is that you are aware and you can say that you don't consent to any stitching without local anaesthetic. It could hopefully be written into your birth plan?

silverandblack Fri 12-Dec-14 21:43:32

3isthemajicnumber Fri 12-Dec-14 21:44:17

Gas and air is marvellous. Honestly marvellous. I had a local for my episiotomy.

treaclesoda Fri 12-Dec-14 21:46:10

silver don't panic, that was a few years ago, I really do think things have moved on and women are treated more compassionately now. I could even see a difference between how I was treated when my now 8 year old was born compared with when my now 3 year old was born. smile

cafecita Fri 12-Dec-14 21:46:34

you could just as easily not require any stitches at all
fear not
if you do, they are quick and pain relief is available

silverandblack Fri 12-Dec-14 21:46:49

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now