Talk

Advanced search

Episiotomy and forceps recovery

(19 Posts)
2014MrsH Fri 12-Dec-14 18:10:03

I had my boy after a very traumatic labour and emergency forceps and episiotomy delivery a week ago.
The stinging from the stitches is still pretty sharp and I can't sit down for too long without it really burning. My midwife said this means it's hearings.

How long until you think this stinging will go down? Any tips? I'm taking paracetamol and arnica plus lavender oil baths which are taking the edge off the sting

LittleRedRidingHoodie Fri 12-Dec-14 18:26:49

I don't know I'm afraid, not had a baby yet but a friend had this as recommends calendula cream, you can get it from health food shops, it's supposed to speed healing up a little and it's good for using on nether regions and it's sticky. I had an operation on my labia and had lots of stitches (which flippin hurt) and I used this cream, it seemed to protect me against knicker rub and I healed well.

Greywacke Fri 12-Dec-14 18:30:01

Tea tree oil helps too. I had a similar birth three years ago, it does take time to get over. Just take things very slowly.

moggle Fri 12-Dec-14 18:54:41

I had an episiotomy with ventouse for DD a month ago and one tip I used was to sit on an airline neck pillow so there's less pressure on the stitches. Worked quite well for me...

tinklykeys Fri 12-Dec-14 19:00:54

Ooh you pour thing! I had the same 2 years ago. I'd really recommend squirting yourself clean after you go to the toilet (with a sports bottle or similar) I didn't get any advice on this in the hospital and ended up with a nasty infection and stitches coming out. After that I had a bath with a savlon solution every night to keep it clean, and took Arnica tablets. Both these really helped.

Take it slowly and sit on a ring cushion if you can. There will come a time when you don't wince when you sit down, but it takes time..

Congratulations on your baby!

funchum8am Fri 12-Dec-14 20:47:54

I had episiotomy and forceps delivery two years ago and I was surprised that it took a good couple of weeks to feel less sore, but soon after that it was completely healed and no problem at all since. I did think there must be something wrong as it was still sore after a week, but hopefully you'll be fine very soon.

Definitely agree about sitting on a neck pillow too.

Izzy24 Fri 12-Dec-14 20:50:36

Get your midwife or GP to check if there is an infection.

Azquilith Fri 12-Dec-14 20:53:07

I also recommend a ring cushion, and feeding whilst you're lying down with baby next to you (either bottle or boob).

sillymillyb Fri 12-Dec-14 20:56:10

Oh poor you, I had the same experience 2.5 years ago with ds. Follow the advice these ladies have give up thread - also though, I think I remember things getting worse at about 1 week / 10 days mark and the midwife saying it was the stitches tightening as I healed, or something like that. I had something stronger than paracetamol for the pain (was breastfeeding) so if it does become unbearable then ask and see if they can give you something stronger. Congratulations on your baby by the way smile

ASAS Fri 12-Dec-14 21:00:34

Congratulations firstly.

Secondly, maybe press to have wounds swabbed, sounds similar to me and I had an infection

Take care

2014MrsH Fri 12-Dec-14 21:11:54

Thanks ladies, i was almost in tears they were stinging to much earlier. I'll try a ring and get midwife to check at next appointment. Fingers crossed no infection!

Things we go through eh smile

SophieBarringtonWard Sun 14-Dec-14 21:23:28

I had an episiotomy and forceps, it's faded a bit from my memory (DC1 is now 6.5) but I do know for a fact I was dancing at the ceilidh at my sister in law's wedding 3 weeks later! Good luck & congratulations.

Moleyjay Sun 14-Dec-14 21:26:56

I was in real pain with stitches and it turns out I had an infection. You have my sympathies. I remember staggering around like John Wayne!

MagicMonday Sun 14-Dec-14 21:59:57

My forceps/episiotomy took weeks to stop hurting. I had a very minor infection, but at 10 weeks after lots of swabs, the gp concluded that I was just a slow healer. I can't tell you how jealous I am of quick healers! Fingers crossed you are quicker than me!

popsicle123 Mon 15-Dec-14 00:08:21

Hello, congratulations on your baby! I also had an emergency forceps delivery and a big episiotomy. I just took a bath in plain water and then keep it as dry as possible so it can heal. Ask your midwife to take a swab for infrction. I had a swab done after mine was still hurting after a few weeks and even though I was meticulous in keeping it clean. Ended up having 2 infections. The whole thing felt a million times better after antibiotics. Also ask your doctor for a better pain relief if paracetamol isn't working. A few weeks tops and you'll feel a million times better xx

ruth1104 Mon 15-Dec-14 03:35:59

congratulations! i had a forceps delivery and episiotomy 6 weeks ago and was shocked by how long it took to heal; everybody just talks about c-section recovery, not vaginal birth! i had a small graze as well which stung more than the stitches for a while (surface wound, more nerve endings apparently) but i didnt have an infection or anything. After 2 weeks i felt a LOT better and now i almost feel normal, i stopped taking painkillers about 5 weeks. You should be able to take ibuprofen too? And if youre really struggling i was given codeine in hospital and they did offer to send me home with a very little bit. Take it easy! One day at a time, you WILL feel better, dont forget your pelvic floors!

barmybunting Mon 15-Dec-14 03:46:24

Congratulations!
I had an episiotomy and forceps delivery 4 weeks ago. It felt horrendous at about 10 days- 2 weeks but 4 weeks on, I can barely feel it and know it is healing well. It does seem to get a bit worse before it gets better and I am still taking mild painkillers for it. Get it checked out gif infection and get some strong painkillers if you need them. It does get better.

2014MrsH Mon 15-Dec-14 14:19:46

Thanks, yes I'll ask if my midwife can do a swab at the 10 days appt tomorrow. Warm showers seem to be helping, along with lavender oil baths. you're right wish someone had told me what recovery after a vaginal birth was like!
Totally unrelated, but did anyone feel like they've been hit by a bus around 9/10 days post birth?

Blondiemama Mon 15-Dec-14 19:18:47

I didn't have forceps but had a third degree tear. You MUST rest lots!!! I found lukewarm baths with a bit of sea salt, witch hazel on pads in the freezer helped. If you're concerned it's infected you must get your MW/GP to swab and don't leave it (I made this mistake!) congratulations, rest, snuggle your baby and try to enjoy the snuggles as much as you can xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now