Talk

Advanced search

Baby's head no longer engaged at 40 weeks

(4 Posts)
schopenhauer Fri 12-Dec-14 12:38:41

Just had my 40 week appt and am worried because the baby's head is no longer engaged... At my 36 and 38 week checks the head was 3/5 but now has 'popped out' of my pelvis. Am worried this means I will have to be induced and will be hooked up to a drip rather than having a waterbirth and I will be giving birth on Christmas Day! I know the latter that doesn't matter really but it's not ideal! Has anyone else had this happen to them? Anything I can do? Have been told to bounce on ball etc but have been doing this and doesn't seem to have worked so far...

fattycow Fri 12-Dec-14 15:16:04

Heads can pop in and out. Also, you can refuse induction if you don't want that.

funchum8am Fri 12-Dec-14 15:23:31

I'm going to refuse induction on New Year's Day when I will be 40+12 if I get that far (dc1 was induced at this day as it is hospital protocol) because I know they have fewer doctors on that day. I am not comfortable with the additional risk after a slightly challenging experience last time...you can refuse or at least ask for an induction date later than they initially offer.

But it will probably be fine, they can pop in and out of being engaged...try not to worry!

schopenhauer Fri 12-Dec-14 18:37:52

Ah thanks, guess I was just disappointed as I wanted to hear I was about to go in to labour but I guess it doesn't really work like that. I think I might refuse induction on Xmas eve for the same reason of lack of staff and maybe have it on Boxing Day instead...thanks for your replies. Better get back to the birthing ball...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now