Talk

Advanced search

can i ask for an epidural before they start induction?

(18 Posts)
silverandblack Fri 12-Dec-14 09:07:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Petallic Fri 12-Dec-14 09:09:49

I believe so. In my induction my midwife very strongly encouraged me to have an epidural before they started the drip.

mupperoon Fri 12-Dec-14 09:09:58

I did! In fact I insisted!

lightgreenglass Fri 12-Dec-14 09:10:18

Yup! Normally they should offer it as inductions are bloody painful - in my experience anyway.

TheOriginalWinkly Fri 12-Dec-14 09:10:23

At what point do you mean? You won't be given one before they put in the pessaries or break your waters. I had one put in before they put me on the syntocin drip, but I was being augmented rather than induced (already been in labour for 24 hours) and was at 4cm, so I imagine that made a difference.

NaiceNickname Fri 12-Dec-14 09:27:17

I wasn't even offered one, or advised that inductions are more intense and painful hmm it'd have been nice to be given the option! I was put straight onto the drip. Definitely ask if it's what you'd prefer. FWIW I luckily didn't find it that bad, probably as I had no previous natural labours to compare to. I'm interested to see how this labour is different, due today so hopefully not long to find out!

silverandblack Fri 12-Dec-14 09:34:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Schoolaroundthecorner Fri 12-Dec-14 09:39:56

The put me on the drip first but I did get an epidural. There was just a delay before the anaesthetist could get to the delivery room. The relief though, it was starting to get quite intense.

lunalovegood84 Fri 12-Dec-14 11:39:27

I didn't get offered an epidural with the drip, I had to ask for one after a couple of hours (and then didn't get it for complicated reasons). I would definitely recommend ensuring it's in place before starting the drip. Synto drip on gas & air is not fun and I think it is best to be as lucid and rested as is possible when undergoing intervention like this.

funchum8am Fri 12-Dec-14 15:31:07

I would strongly recommend it! My brother is an anaesthetist and suggested I ask for one before going on the drip, so I knew to ask, but they offered anyway. God it was good.

TheOriginalWinkly Fri 12-Dec-14 17:57:23

Hopefully you won't need to be induced. If a mobile epidural is an option I can highly recommend them, I had no pain but was able to get up, go to the loo, bounce on the birthing ball and push in an upright position.

Pico2 Fri 12-Dec-14 20:17:45

I asked and the consultant agreed, but the MW looking after me persuaded me not to. That was a mistake.

MrsCakesPrecognition Fri 12-Dec-14 20:19:55

They offered me an epidural at the same time as they started the drip. Put it in your birth plan and make sure you talk to the MW caring for you about it. I doubt it will be a problem

Topsyloulou Sun 14-Dec-14 22:26:54

At my local hospital they won't start the drip until you've had an epidural and strongly advise not to have the drip without an epidural. They have the ones you can top up yourself which was good.

NickyEds Mon 15-Dec-14 11:05:17

I wasn't given one before having the drip sad(my birth was augmented too-I was 4 cm after waters breaking and going into labour 24 hours later but not progressing). If the same happens again I'll refuse the drip without an epidural, it was bloody agony.

MostHighlyFlavouredLady Mon 15-Dec-14 11:08:11

Come on. We are women, IN CHARGE of our own bodies and what is done to them by others.

If you need to have an epidural before the drip, say so and refuse the drip until it is in.

If you want to try but then need an epidural, either tell them to turn the drip down for a bit whilst your wait and if refused just take the damn needle out of your arm. You can touch yourselves you know. It's only a needle.

ohthegoats Mon 15-Dec-14 11:45:38

I was just being sped up from 8cm - 10cm, but refused the drip without epidural. I believe my exact words when it was suggested no epidural were "You can kiss my fucking arse." I don't necessarily condone a potty mouth, but I got my epidural!

Pregnantagain7 Mon 15-Dec-14 12:51:09

I've had two inductions and the first I had the drip and then an epidural after about an hour. Second time I had it put in first. It's your labour you tell them what you want to do.
I've just had my fourth baby not an induction but I'd decided after having epidurals with my inductions I would like one this time. When the midwife came to take me to delivery suite I told I'd like one ASAP and I was really sure this is what I wanted so please don't try and change my mind. She said no problem as it was I ended up with a ventouse so was quite glad of the epidural.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now