Talk

Advanced search

My ELCS experience

(8 Posts)
Firstpregnancy2014 Tue 09-Dec-14 19:25:56

I wanted to share my experience as i was terrified before mine so wanted to give people my views ! Feel free to ask any questions but here are main points I think are important-

- I had an elcs for anxiety- PUSH for it if you want it. I did and I don't regret it one bit

- I developed pre- eclampsia which resulted in my c section being moved from 39+ 6 to 38 weeks.. So don't think cause you have a date set that's it.. I only finished work 4 days before! Babys have a mind of their own!

- the procedure is fine- no pain at all other than the spinal going in, but it wasn't unbearable. I had the screen up for mine - the noises put me off viewing what was going on

- I was wheeled back to the ward at 12.30pm after my 11am c section - then plenty of cuddles with baby and felt fine for visiting time at 3.30

- midwives changing a sanitary towel for those first 24 hours .. URGH. I hated that part but it had to be done

- next morning at 9am I asked for my catheter to be removed, they removed it and the midwives helped me out of bed so I could go shower

- if I'm honest the pain I felt when I first stood up was unbearable. My stomach burned and I felt like I was about to rip in half. That burning sensation got better with every time I got up and stood up straight - but be prepared for the pain because I wasnt

- affer that first time getting up every day I felt better. I left the hospital after 2 nights on the wednesday. The first few days I was sore- but it wasn't unbearable just keep on top of pain meds.

- a week after op I was out with pram, still only little walks but abit each day made me feel better

- it was 3 weeks yesterday since my op- I have spent a day Christmas shopping, numerous meals out and I walk with the pram every day. My scar still twinges when I sneeze or cough or twist in a weird way.. But honestly no where near the sort of recovery time I thought it would be. My friend had a 10lb baby naturally the week before and she's still in a worse state than me !

After about 9 days I stopped all pain releif... Honestly the best experience of my life apart from that first time getting out of bed ! Also i took arnica tablets and peppermint oil capsules everyday which I think helped and I expeirenced no trapped wind!

Happy to ask any questions if anyone wants to know anything inparticular!

Stealthpolarbear Tue 09-Dec-14 19:28:25

Congratulations grin
Lovely to hear your story

Booboostoo Tue 09-Dec-14 20:38:15

Congratulations!

I've had two wonderful ELCSs as well. I found recovery from the second one to be even easier than the first one.

EstRusMum Tue 09-Dec-14 23:44:47

Great. Congrats. flowers

Mine is coming up in January. So have a few questions.
Did you take Lactulose? Or anything else for constipation?
Did they shaved you or you did it yourself?
How was the aftercare on post-natal ward?
If you are breastfeeding how long did it take for milk to come in?
Any essentials that I should take with me? Something that you wouldn't imagine surviving without?
That's a start. I can't think of any more. At least for now. grin

StrangeGlue Wed 10-Dec-14 15:07:20

Really useful! Would love to know answers to Qs above and also: I assume partners can't cut the cord, is that right?

Booboostoo Wed 10-Dec-14 17:18:40

I didn't take anything and was not constipated at all.
They shaved me.
I was in Greece so probably not relevant but aftercare was brilliant.
Two days both times.
Tablet for MN updates!

I can't see why partners can't cut their cord. DH stood up at the right moment and saw both children being born.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Wed 10-Dec-14 17:32:48

I had my ELCS 19 days ago and I was really pleased w mine too. DH cut the cord and I was off pain meds after 10 days.
Mine actually turned into an emergency due to cord round ds's neck and dropped blood pressure but it wasn't a panic which kept me calm.
I'd absolutely have another section and my recovery has been easier than some nct friends who had a 'normal' birth. I really don't think they are anything to be feared and also I really don't feel I missed out on the birth experience.
We left hospital after a night and milk was a but slow but I got pumping so I managed to get quite a lot of colostrum.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Wed 10-Dec-14 17:35:13

I took arnica before and after.
Care was excellent until post natal ward hence why we only stayed a night. Too noisy, hot and not enough staff. Was much more relaxed at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now