Talk

Advanced search

what did you wear for a waterbirth?

(32 Posts)
AlwaysLurking38 Tue 09-Dec-14 02:38:13

I'm thinking of a vest top or a t-shirt and maybe a sarong of some sort? I don't really want to be naked and j do t want my bum and that out really. What did you wear for your water birth?

Somanyillustrations Tue 09-Dec-14 02:41:07

First baby? You will not care about being naked when it happens! I've had 2 naked WB, can't imagine having kept anything on. I was desperate to get everything off my skin, including necklace.

LittleRedRidingHoodie Tue 09-Dec-14 09:10:54

Tankini / bikini top and bottoms. Bottoms to come off obviously.

Clearlymisunderstood Tue 09-Dec-14 09:12:26

The top I was wearing when i went to hospital, I couldn't even think of changing even though I'd packed a tankini

DrLizAsher Tue 09-Dec-14 09:14:07

Naked. Same as somany I got to a certain point and clothes felt awful. A sarong would be horrible when wet, all clingy and heavy. My advice on clothes would be to pack 2 'post birth' outfits as your first one will probably still get covered in goo. Good luck!

NoRoomForALittleOne Tue 09-Dec-14 09:52:32

My bra because I didn't have time to whip it off. I also find clothes irritating and too hot towards the end of labour. You know that baby is imminent when I strip off!

littlesupersparks Tue 09-Dec-14 09:59:35

Tankini top and a little swimming wrap thing.

ohthegoats Tue 09-Dec-14 13:40:09

I had clothes with me, but by the time it got to pool stuff I couldn't give a shit and was naked.

KittyandTeal Tue 09-Dec-14 13:46:57

I worried a lot about what to wear for my water birth. As it turned out I shouted at the MW not to bother filling to pool as I couldn't walk that far then stripped off declaring 'it's like a fucking oven' and gave birth (with a big audience in the end) totally naked.

I blush thinking about it sometimes then remind myself they've seen it all and worse before smile

goshhhhhh Tue 09-Dec-14 13:48:20

Nothing.

Mintberrycrunch Tue 09-Dec-14 13:54:23

Naked, I think you'll stop caring how you look.

leeloo1 Tue 09-Dec-14 14:16:46

I was the same as KittyandTeal - I'd worried lots as I really, really didn't want to be naked and bought a tankini for first birth - in the event the second I got to hospital I stripped off nightie and dressing gown (it was early morning) and jumped in and breathed a huuuuuge sigh of relief - water really is a painkiller! I'd asked for the room to be v dark, so although I was in the pool for the whole day (8.30-5.37) then (if I ever think about it) I'm sure no-one saw anything. wink

2nd time round I didn't even bother packing anything. Room wasn't as dark as I'd have liked, so I kept my eyes closed for 2 hours, but I still didn't care I was naked. smile

I think its important to have something with you if you feel you'll need it so you can relax about the preparations, but don't be surprised if when it comes to it you don't care what you're wearing.

mythical Tue 09-Dec-14 14:23:46

i HATED being naked!

i would wear a loose vest or tankini top

AlwaysLurking38 Tue 09-Dec-14 14:31:40

No not my first baby, When I have birth to my son I was still aware that people could see my bits blush I'm a prude!

Just googled those tanktini's, they look alright don't they! I'm only short so maybe one of them would do, as in cover my bum n that.

Yup will be taking two or three outfits. Shall have a look online now for cheapish tanktini's. Thanks for your replies smile

NoRoomForALittleOne Tue 09-Dec-14 15:22:28

I felt a lot less 'on show' in the pool than on a bed. The pool was a good way of stopping people touching me and invading my space too easily.

kelda Tue 09-Dec-14 15:38:33

I wore a tankini, I got it for a couple of pounds in Asda. I've had three natural births, two of them home water births, and no way did I want to be naked!

WrappedInABlankie Tue 09-Dec-14 15:42:23

I packed a bikini didn't get to have a water birth though I kept my clothes on to, I hated people touching me just wanted to hide under the covers so they'd stop shoving their hands in my bits ended with a cat-1 c-section and been given that many drugs said to my surgeon good job I shaved aye before going to sleep shock they've seen worse though could you get like a big t-shirt

SoupDragon Tue 09-Dec-14 15:46:26

I wore one of those vest tops with hidden support.

I hate it when people state that you won't care. I cared with each of my three. Every person is different.

museumum Tue 09-Dec-14 15:46:47

Tanking top. I didn't care about the bottom in the pool but I'd have felt very naked with my boobs floating around.
It's all very well saying "you won't care by the end" but at the start when I first arrived I was very much still with it despite being 8cm.

bronya Tue 09-Dec-14 15:51:44

I wore a men's T-shirt - large size. Belonged to DH and was quite simply what I'd grabbed off the airer when I got out of the bath at home to go into hospital (that and my dressing gown - left it rather late to go and we were in a rush!!!). It was actually perfect - like a short dress on me so covered everything in the early stages, but didn't get in the way of monitoring/moving/giving birth. I only took it off after DD turned up because she was crying and crying and I wanted to bf her while waiting for the placenta to turn up. Somehow didn't care at that point about anyone seeing me starkers, was more concerned that she needed to eat!

SockDrawer Tue 09-Dec-14 15:53:36

A tankini sounds like a good idea. A sarong-y thing will float in the water, won't it?

cogitosum Tue 09-Dec-14 15:58:07

Everyone always says 'go naked you won't care' but i did and it's really important you feel comfortable.

I wore a maternity tankini. midwife was laughing at me (in a nice way) as she'd do an examination and I'd put the bottoms back on afterwards even though it was just her and DH in the room... both of whom had seen everything!

In the end I was in stirrups sad as didn't progress and wore a really baggy kaftan thing. Didn't interfere with skin to skin as DS kind of went under it. But agree with PP thta I was less bothered about nakedness when DS was born than when I was in labour.

Mrsfrumble Tue 09-Dec-14 16:01:13

I wore a tankini top. I was 6cm when I got in and "with it" enough to care. No bottoms though, as midwife kept checking down below to see how I was progressing and I couldn't be bothered to keep pulling them down and up.

Livvylongpants Tue 09-Dec-14 16:03:49

I wore a tankini type thing In the pool, bottoms came off in the last half hour as felt I wanted to push,

In the end I gave birth on dry land completely starkers as I wanted to get out and they obviously helped me out of my wet top but by then I needed to push properly so no time to change

Rockchick1984 Wed 10-Dec-14 10:03:10

My nightie blush as I was just desperate to get in the pool and didn't actually notice that I was still wearing it grin In fairness though DD was born 10 mins later!

My plan had been a cheap vest top, my midwife had advised against anything on the bottom half so she could check progression using a mirror underwater rather than having to ask me to do anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now