Advanced search

hairdryer in hospital bag??

(27 Posts)
silverandblack Thu 04-Dec-14 10:35:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mel0Drama Thu 04-Dec-14 10:40:44

Mrscog Thu 04-Dec-14 10:43:58

I am fairly certain that even if you wash your hair, you won't want your hairdryer! I barely had time to eat breakfast on the post natal ward, plus they're so hot that it's likely you won't be able to bear the heat of the hairdryer as well! Just take a brush and an extra small towel so you could make a turban.

Mrscog Thu 04-Dec-14 10:44:31

Ooh - yes melodrama's idea of an extra bag is a good one.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 04-Dec-14 10:44:49

I never took mine, first birth I just let my hair dry naturally, second birth I didnt have a shower grin I was in labour 20 mins and didnt break a sweat (didnt even have a chance to take my top of before baby arrived!), minimal blood loss (maternity pad on once placenta came), and I laboured up on knees so everything sort of "fell" out - I was practically spotless! And had a swift stay so just showered at home.

Cupcakes123 Thu 04-Dec-14 10:49:19

I washed my hair after birth, it was the best hair wash ever!
Didn't dry it though, just stuck it in a ponytail.

I had dyed it the night before (DS was 9 days early) so along with all the other post baby nastiness, there was the red colour coming out of my hair. The shower looked like a crime scene grin
I then proceeded to get the hair dye all over the hospital pillows when they put me in a bed. Ooops!

silverandblack Thu 04-Dec-14 10:49:30

BauerTime Thu 04-Dec-14 10:52:09

I never showered for almost 48hrs after the birth (C-section and other issues that meant it just wasn't top of my agenda) and when I did, the last thing I was thinking about was drying my hair. Its very hot on a postnatal ward too!

Saying that, if you have an easy birth, are in a private room and feel great then you may well want to style your hair and look good for photos! Id throw a travel one in if you have room, but don't take it in place of enough maternity pads, spare knickers or snacks!

cherubimandseraphim Thu 04-Dec-14 10:54:17

Maternity wards are so hot you won't need any help to dry your hair! I wouldn't bother with it.

Sorehead Thu 04-Dec-14 11:02:43

I didn't take a hairdryer- I let my hair dry naturally frizzy. I was in for 6 nights and relied on dry shampoo!

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 04-Dec-14 11:14:16

Didn't bring one and didn't need it. It is sooo hot in there and you will be paranoid about the noise waking up your or someone elses baby grin

Best shower ever was after labour, definitely wash your hair.

DoJo Thu 04-Dec-14 11:25:06

Stayed in 4 days and didn't have a shower - only had minutes between tests for son and endless feeding routine to help him regain birth weight, so literally didn't have time. I would go with the extra bag - most maternity wards aren't exactly spacious, and when you're rummaging around looking for something to mop up bodily fluids, you won't want to keep having to shove your hairdryer out of the way! Good luck - hopefully you won't even be in long enough to need it!

littlejohnnydory Thu 04-Dec-14 17:06:04

I don't think they'll let you use it unless it's been safety tested by the hospital. They might have one you can use but I didn't bother. I certainlydid wash my hair though and felt so much more human afterwards!

Petallic Thu 04-Dec-14 17:10:07

Hospitals are so hot, I only had a couple of showers but leaving hair to air dry helped cool me down.

Dogsmom Thu 04-Dec-14 21:10:41

I had a bath not shower and didn't get my hair wet, not sure if it was because I'd had an epidural and my legs weren't fully awake so maybe they thought I was safer sitting in a bath than trying to stand in a shower.

Gavlarrr Thu 04-Dec-14 23:12:12

You won't wash your hair. You'll have a quick wash/shower and you won't even care!

Kittykatmacbill Fri 05-Dec-14 12:31:11

Personally I wouldn't bother as everyone says you won't care, it's REALLY hot and you probably won't be allowed to plug it in. Finally you will drive the other people on your bay nuts with the noise!
Take a hair bobble instead:-)

magpieginglebells Fri 05-Dec-14 12:33:27

I would have worried about disturbing another mum's and baby's sleep!

Millie2013 Fri 05-Dec-14 22:12:14

I took in hairdryer and straighteners. For various reasons I was in for a week and my hair was the last thing in my mind, buuuut, it was nice to pack my bag with little "luxuries" beforehand (like the White co PJs that got abandoned in favour of the primark nightie. For obvious reasons (white))

Heatherbell1978 Wed 10-Dec-14 20:08:28

I had a shower but didn't bother washing my hair, couldn't be bothered with the faff. Was a bit shaky on my feet and bleeding all over the place tbh so I didn't find it the most relaxing shower! Was only in one night anyway.

TheOriginalWinkly Wed 10-Dec-14 20:14:04

I had a looong hard labour in the height of summer in a meltingly hot labour ward, then sweated my tits off all night in the post natal ward. I was disgusting and my shower and hair wash was amazing. But I wouldn't have used a hairdryer, due to aforementioned heat.

CorporateRockWhore Wed 10-Dec-14 20:16:23

I took hairdryer and straighteners. I just do not feel right without full make up and hair done, it was really important to me to be properly ready to start to feel in control and capable. Shuffling about in my jammies with dirty hair wouldn't have cut it.

bambinibop Wed 10-Dec-14 20:16:27

I didn't bother. I had a bath after the birth and washed my hair but wasn't bothered how I looked so just let it dry naturally. If you pack it you may find you can't be bothered when it comes to it!

PrincessOfChina Wed 10-Dec-14 20:17:09

I took my straighteners. And I used them.

It was too hot to use a hair dryer though.

harrowgreen Thu 11-Dec-14 20:06:11

I used a hairdryer since my hair looks awful when it dries naturally and I wasn't prepared to have that in the photos....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now