Talk

Advanced search

positive birth stories please!! i beg you!

(49 Posts)
silverandblack Tue 02-Dec-14 18:10:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsPepperMintonCandyCane Tue 02-Dec-14 18:18:08

Both my labours were short, one 7 hours, one 43 minutes. I did tear but didn't notice and it healed very fast. I had a hospital birth and home birth and found the midwives listened and encouraged. I did poo during both. No one said a word or cared. I didn't care then (didn't know) or now actually! I wish I'd known: You aren't in pain constantly, only as a contraction comes, you might need a drink or ice as your mouth can get dry, you will be fine and no one will notice if you moo or swear or poo. You won't even notice!

Gas and air is marvellous imo but ask for anything you feel will help. Moving about and a birthing ball and squatting helped me lots. I think if you can just go with things as they change and have an open mind about what you want, then it will feel more positive. If you want to ask anything specific you are more than welcome to pm.

ItsAlwaysBetterOnHoliday Tue 02-Dec-14 18:21:45

I think I gave birth at 38+3 grin

I was fairly nervous and although had plumped for the birth centre pool was secretly convinced I would end up with an EMCS. I thought gas and air was unlikely to do anything for me - I also expected the baby to be late and for labour to take hours. I also was fully prepared to be shouting for an epidural on arrival at hospital, especially as the latent stage seemed a lot more painful that I expected!

Baby arrived a week and a half early, gas and air was amazing, the pool and (whispers) yoga breathing (I am so not a yoga person) helped me stay calm. Contractions were bloody painful but I got a rest between each one. DS arrived 5 hours after I got to hospital. I tired a bit at the pushing stage but other than that things went as smoothly as they could. For me, it helped that I basically planned to take things as they come - I was totally happy to have an epidural if I needed one. It also helped that baby was in right position etc etc - I really think there is a large element of luck involved! Good luck - I so expected to be out of my mind with the pain but my memory of labour is positive and happy and calm!

ItsAlwaysBetterOnHoliday Tue 02-Dec-14 18:23:13

Oh and yes to moving about and keeping active. Whenever they asked me to lie down for an examination my heart sunk.

Heels99 Tue 02-Dec-14 18:24:52

Yes go straight for the epidural. Max pain relief

Good luck

freedom2011 Tue 02-Dec-14 18:27:59

So everyone will tell you that no two births are the same but as you asked for a positive story - I had all those things you are worried about happen to me but at no moment did I feel foolish. My roommate on the ward who give birth a couple if hours later said - oh yeah we totally heard you. Didn't give a shit about anything. My tear healed well and was comfortable 3 weeks after (iced maternity pads and sitzbaths.) And my kid is healthy. I'm fine. And the whole thing was over in 3 hours. However it happens for you in the end, you can do it. The drs and midwives will help you. Listen to them. flowers good luck!

scrivette Tue 02-Dec-14 18:40:00

I gave birth at 38 weeks.

I told DH to remind me to breath and just focused on breathing slowly the whole time and it really helped.

I didn't lay down, but crouched over the bed; although had to be on my knees for the actual birth as they were worried the baby would shoot out and they would drop him shock

From my first contraction to birth it was 4 hours - I just hope my next one goes as smoothly.

Dazedconfused Tue 02-Dec-14 18:43:34

I had your exact wished for birth. Water birth and gas and air. It was great although my transition involved asking for drugs but was too late so got on with it. I tore a little but really didn't notice until was being sewn up and that doesn't hurt. I actually found the third stage very strange....I only had gas and air for about half an hour before felt need to push so was all very lucid and the placenta feels all wobbly after pushing out baby...but it was all fine really xxx

Dazedconfused Tue 02-Dec-14 18:44:17

oops just added xxx been busy texting all day haha

Pelicangiraffe Tue 02-Dec-14 18:47:06

I had a great birth. Love to do it again.

Twotinygirls Tue 02-Dec-14 18:51:23

My first was on due date, 24 hours of 'labour' not all of it bad and she popped out nice and quick, I had some grazes and a few stitches but healed quick I'd you follow all the advice, the pushing is good as it feels like the end and a relief. My 2nd was an induction and pretty much the same again but way quicker. I'm not sure if I'll have another baby, and part of me wanting too is because I feel sad that I'll never give birth again. grin

beepbeep Tue 02-Dec-14 18:55:34

I've got 3 DCs, with the first said I wanted water birth etc (but in my head saying knock me out and tell me when it's over!). As it turns out the labour lasted 3hr 20mins, I got to the hospital and she was born 20 mins later. I had a small 'scratch' which needed no treatment and other than stinging a bit when going to the toilet for a couple of days was fine. I had a bit of gas and air and coped with the labour so much better than I thought I would - what I found bizarre was that as soon as my DD was born the pain stopped!

DS took 2hr 20min to arrive -I got my water birth (had confidence to go to birthing centre this time), I think i pooed but nothing was said so I can't be certain. No tears at all this time and no gas or anything, just water - he was 10lb 1oz!

DD2 was born 45 mins after waking in the night, water birth again at birthing centre - within minutes of getting there! In all labours the midwives were brilliant and totally respected me and what I wanted. I came out of all three births feeling very empowered !! The only issues I had was with the first birth that was really quite fast for a first baby and I think I went into a bit of shock.

beepbeep Tue 02-Dec-14 18:56:15

All 3 ranged between being 2 weeks and 5 days early!

BlingBubbles Tue 02-Dec-14 19:02:26

I had a pretty "easy" text book labour and birth, was in active labour at 4am, 6:30am was examined and told I was fully dilated and was ready to start pushing, started pushing at 6:40 my DD was born at 7:02, no tearing and no stitches at all.

I only had gas and air (I did cry for an epidural, couldnt have it but that's another story) and half a shot of pethadine. I left hospital that night and was out shopping the day after wink.

I am due again with DS in January and am just hoping it all goes as well as the first time round.

evilgiraffe Tue 02-Dec-14 19:02:39

I was induced at 40+11, went into labour and everything was quite calm, breathing and standing up helped with pain. Gas and air as contractions got stronger was magic stuff. Then dilation stalled at 5cm so had to go on the drip, so asked for epidural at the same time. Everything very calm and peaceful and pain free from that point, though could still feel pressure. It turned out DD had a big head at a slightly unfortunate angle, so never got quite fully dilated and had EMCS 29 hours after the first induction pessary.

I'd hoped for a gas and air waterbirth, but as it turned out everything was fine and I'd happily have exactly the same experience again. It was really positive and calm. I actually quite enjoyed it, even before the epidural.

NakedFamilyFightClub Tue 02-Dec-14 19:13:35

I had a really good birth with DS. There was a couple of complications afterwards but it was still really good if that makes sense?

I woke DH to put on my TENs machine but I didn't knock it up because I wanted to save the higher settings and it was manageable, then when I arrived at the hospital I was 8cm already and got straight into the birthing pool and DS arrived a few hours after that.

I was expecting pain, but it was more of a muscle effort pain than pain ouch pain and between the water and G&A it was doable and not screaming get me out of here panic!

I did tear, but I didn't feel it happen and soaking maternity pads with distilled witch hazel afterwards seemed to help it heal fairly fast.

SirChenjin Tue 02-Dec-14 19:20:04

3 births here - they were all fine (well, first one was a ventouse but that was my choice as I was v tired). I got by on gas and air for all of them - used the TENS machine at home, laboured in the birthing pool at hospital, and used G&A when it was getting a bit much. Longest labour (1st one) was 12 hours from first minor twinge to DC1 being born, then 7 hours, then 5 - again from absolute start to end.

Definitely keep mobile and/or upright if you can - keeps your pelvis open nicely and gravity really helps - and try to focus and keep calm.

LittleRedRidingHoodie Tue 02-Dec-14 19:27:48

Big thank you for everyone who has posted here. I'm dreading the birth at the same time as wanting the baby OUT OF ME! I hear so many terrifying stories do it's nice to know it's not always bad x

Scoopmuckdizzy Tue 02-Dec-14 19:36:48

I had 2 water births with gas and air. The second was only a matter of minutes between getting in the pool and DS being born though so didn't get to have as much G&A as the first time round! They were both pretty straightforward and I think complete denial really helped first time around-I was convinced I wasn't actually as far along as they thought and at 7cm still thought I would be sent home...

I had two easy births, I tore and talked nonsense the first time but didn't the second. There was poo with both but no one cared as there was also a person coming out of me.

There was no option for an epidural where I gave birth but there was a moment where I felt pretty desperate for something a bit stronger but then just got on with it and focussed my energy on giving birth.

I much preferred childbirth to pregnancy- it was painful but there's that end goal that keeps you going.

squizita Tue 02-Dec-14 21:04:07

My birth was definitely do-able. I was lucky and so are many women: I though it would be an induction and days as I was late but it was all very swift (well 4-5 hours).
Hurt like anything but somehow psychologically I knew it was childbirth pain iyswim so it wasn't scary.
I had a very fast/intense labour. No time for an epidural! My body went from nothing to full on in in an hour (which sounds great but is pretty daunting when the taxi races you to hospital bent over contracting).
Got to hospital, they checked me over and I was 10cm, shoved a gas and air nozzle in my gob - as luck wpuld have it a pool was free as no time for anything stronger - and I just huffed on it when contractions happened.
2 or so hours later dd came out like a greased pig.

Now the thing is because she shot out I did tear almost up the bum but not quite but even on just gas and air I didn't feel it. You feel a sharp stretchy pain anyway graze, tear or nothing: they give you a "local" after and sew you up. It healed very well. I was very scared of tears before but honestly mine was a big one but was OK. Bit of tea tree oil and cool maternity pads after worked a treat.

I only swore in transition! The rest of the time I apparently hooted like an owl. But everyone else there will be making noises too, so no one bats an eyelid.

Anyway I was pretty lucky. You may well be too! And a straightforward tear isn't as bad as you think. grin

I did poo though. Everybody poops! grin

waddleandtoddle Tue 02-Dec-14 21:19:50

Gas and air is great! I second keep moving - I stood up even when on monitor. I found waterbath annoying as the water got cold. Get electric candles as they give a beautiful glow to birth room. A wide variety of music for every mood. And pop - needed sugar fix! I had a great birth experience - very long birth, but I made it without intervention despite hovering consultants.
Most importantly involve your partner so they know when to step in. AND take a camera so the midwife can take a photo of you all together when baby is born - my favourite photo. We'd just become parents, been awake over 24 hours, delivered a wonderful baby and my husbands hair is ridiculously long! Hahaha!

Allstoppedup Tue 02-Dec-14 21:36:16

Went two weeks over, was induced and ended up having an emergency spinal with forceps and epi- I pooed- it was a million miles away from the dreamy, hippy waterbirth I was SUPPOSED to have...

BUT it was all ok!! I have really positive memories of my son's birth and the healing afterwards was quick and no where near as painful as I envisioned.

Gas and air is great! Take any pain relief you feel you need and most importantly go with the flow. Make sure your DP is aware of any important decisions/choices you feel strongly about but don't over plan. There is no right or wrong way to give birth.grin Good Luck! flowers

HearMyRoar Tue 02-Dec-14 21:41:17

Look at it this way. One way or another the baby is going to come out. Any unpleasantness will only last a finite amount of time so you just get on with it, it will be over and you will have a lovely baby. Job done smile

I planned a lovely home birth with pool and everything. It didn't work out like that at all, but I got through it and what ever happens so will you.

splendide Wed 03-Dec-14 03:20:20

I had a great birth (5 weeks ago). Had a homebirth with just a tens and paracetomol. Small tear which has healed well. I found contractions to be not so much painful as intensely uncomfortable, a sort of big pressure and heat.

moggle Wed 03-Dec-14 04:05:13

Three weeks ago from right now I was in the middle of labour for my first (at 39+2) and it went well. Contractions started slowly at 8pm (while we were eating out - a curry!), were 8 mins apart by 11pm and We went to hospital at 4.30am, to find I was 8cm dilated already. Woo!! I'd dealt with the contractions at home by using TENS and simple yoga breathing, tried to use gas and air but It messed up the breathing rhythm!

I was supposed to be using the birth centre but due to some blood in the show I had, they wouldn't take me so I went to the regular ward. I was hooked up to a monitor but they were happy for me to unplug to use the loo or walk around - I spent the whole time leaning over the bed so didn't go far! My contractions didn't ever really get much closer than 2 mins apart so I always had a break between my efforts.

By 8am I was fully dilated and started pushing - had to have ventouse and an episiotomy in the end as baby's heart rate dropped but even that was all pretty calm - turned out she'd turned back to back at some point. I didn't poo myself but wouldn't have cared if I had! The episiotomy was fine - the local anaesthetic injections beforehand were very stingy but over in seconds. My stitches have healed beautifully and I would say after 3 weeks I'm 95% recovered.

All in all a great experience and has not put me off having a DC2! Should note though that out of our NCT group there have been a variety of births and even those with the ones you'd probably term 'difficult', just somehow got on with it and were still raving about how amazing it all was afterwards. Definitely agree that thinking about the contractions as a means to an end is good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now