Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do I bother with 2nd sweep day before induction?

(16 Posts)
larryphilanddave Tue 02-Dec-14 12:25:39

Nearly 42 weeks and had my overdue appointment yesterday. Baby and I are both very well, all measurements and blood flow good, head has been engaged for at least over a week. This is DC2. DC1 was SVD at 39+4, birthed in MLU.

No inkling as to going into labour. Just doesn't feel like it and hasn't at any stage.

Had a sweep yesterday, MW went around twice and said she did a 'strong' sweep but also said that the cervix was still quite high, I got the impression that it didn't look likely that the sweep would make much difference. I'm booked for induction on Thursday.

MW said I could go for another sweep tomorrow but only available time is 5pm. I wasn't sure and still not, so I booked it anyway and she said I could cancel if I felt differently later.

Part of me thinks maybe I should go, to give it one last shot before induction. Another part of me just feels tired and wants to rest and doesn't think another sweep is going to make a difference at this stage.

Obviously I won't just leave it to MN to decide grin But I felt I needed somewhere to sound this out.

Notnowbernard Tue 02-Dec-14 12:31:00

A 'successful' sweep usually means going into labour within 24hrs, by which time you'll be in for induction anyway?

I'd be inclined to miss it, I think

I've had a sweep which resulted in labour the next day and 2 which did sod all...

I do know what a pain being overdue is though, all 3 of mine were so sympathies to you !

Not long though whichever you decide - good luck smile

larryphilanddave Tue 02-Dec-14 12:36:04

Thanks Notnow. This is what I was thinking - if I'll be there the next day, less than 24 hours after second sweep, is it really worth it?!

That is, of course, if I don't go into labour spontaneously within the next 36-48 hours wink

babyfedleaning Tue 02-Dec-14 12:38:02

Why bother - not much fun and probably pointless. Hope it starts up of it's own accord very soon!

larryphilanddave Tue 02-Dec-14 12:52:13

I'm now feeling a bit more confident about cancelling, thank you smile DH feels the same, I was feeling a bit guilty about not making enough of an effort (ridiculous, I realise, I've made as much effort as a pregnant woman can with these things I suppose!).

Notnowbernard Tue 02-Dec-14 13:05:42

Best of luck, so exciting!

Fingers crossed it happens soon for you

squizita Tue 02-Dec-14 21:16:34

I had a similar sweep. Was not favourable.
8 hours later I had a baby suckling my boob. My body had a super fast labour ... like an induction one! Blimey had they used gel I'd just have burst or something grin like a balloon!

FX you dodge induction too! smile

DinoSnores Tue 02-Dec-14 21:28:25

I would. I had my fourth sweep at 2pm the day before I was due to be induced. I could really feel it had done something as I walked home and DD was born at 7.30am the following morning.

Gavlarrr Thu 04-Dec-14 23:15:38

Don't bother! I had 2 sweeps and they didn't work, was booked in for induction on the sunday, had baby Saturday morning gringrin good luck

callamia Thu 04-Dec-14 23:27:59

I did - my second sweep did it for me. DS was born at 3am on the day he was supposed to be induced.

larryphilanddave Thu 04-Dec-14 23:35:20

Ha, well I'm currently sat in a hospital bed waiting for a pessary to get things going... grin So glad we have mobile data to keep me occupied!

callamia Fri 05-Dec-14 06:15:29

Good luck! I hope things are going well. I'm excited for you grin

larryphilanddave Fri 05-Dec-14 19:04:46

Success grin

babyfedleaning Fri 05-Dec-14 22:23:34

Congratulations! flowers How did it go? What did you have?!

larryphilanddave Fri 05-Dec-14 22:29:57

A lovely huge boy. Once contractions started to get regular it only took about 1.5 hours all in shock

babyfedleaning Fri 05-Dec-14 22:41:07

Ah smashing, well done grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now