Talk

Advanced search

What to do with an older child when I go into labour?

(3 Posts)
MGMidget Thu 27-Nov-14 15:02:15

I am planning on a hospital birth for second child and was hoping to have DH as my birthing partner. However, that leaves the dilemma of what to do with my older child if I go into spontaneous labour at an inconvenient moment (and let's face it, it probably will be an inconvenient time such as 3am!). I don't have any relatives living close by that I can call on at short notice to take DS or come and babysit. Obviously, if it was middle of the day it might be easier to ask a neighbour/friend/babysitting agency for help but tricky at awkward times like the middle of the night! It would be more straightforward to organise if I was having a planned C-section or being induced but I am hoping to avoid both! My first labour was pretty fast (6 hours from the first twinge to delivery) and I have heard that second labours are about half the length of the first so I may not have much time to sort out childcare when it happens.

I wondered what other people do in this circumstance? Should I just accept that I may be going to hospital on my own in a taxi whilst DH stays at home? Was really hoping for some support in labour!

Fresh01 Thu 27-Nov-14 15:40:29

For my subsequent labours (been 3 since DC1) 3 of our neighbours all offered to come into our house, even in the middle of the night, for a few hours till the permanent babysitter (my mum) got there. People are usually happy to help as they know it is a difficult situation. I have been a backup person to call for a few friends if their "permanent sitter" couldn't get there in time.

We never needed it, 2 were inductions and 1 was when my mum was free immediately as it was evening.

Would something like that work?

StrangeGlue Fri 28-Nov-14 11:39:07

Talk to friends and neighbours. You'll be surprised just how many are delighted to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now