Talk

Advanced search

Witch hazel on maternity pads - really?

(12 Posts)
BeginnerSAHM Wed 26-Nov-14 12:13:20

Hi - I'm 35 weeks with number 3 and had stitches after DCs1 and 2. (Very rapid labours so not surprising.) I've read on MN a few times about a recommendation to soak a maternity pad with witch hazel to help with the swelling after/make things more comfortable but it says in the bottle not to out it on cuts or wounds. Has anybody actually used witch hazel? Just trying to organise my hospital bag (again)... Thanks!!

streakybacon Wed 26-Nov-14 15:45:23

I was advised to use witch hazel pads when my ds was born 16 years ago, but I was told not to continue for more than a couple of days or it would make the area soft and it wouldn't heal as effectively. But that was a long time ago and advice might have changed since then.

It did help though, and I was glad of it at the time.

KittyandTeal Wed 26-Nov-14 15:53:07

I used witch hazel on pads 2 years ago when I had an episiotomy.

Worked a wonder, so soothing.

You can't do it all day though, you need to 'air' it out a bit and let it dry up. Not easy when you're bleeding but just spend a bit of time with a dry pad on.

Another tip is lavender and tee tree oil in the bath and bath once a day. Not easy with a newborn but it's great if you can.

Nocturne123 Wed 26-Nov-14 15:59:26

They actually gave me those in hospital after I had dd . I think they worked in making things a bit more comfortable

Boobsofsteel Wed 26-Nov-14 16:08:17

I use witch hazel on cuts and broken skin all the time. You can dilute it with water if you are worried about it stinging.

BeginnerSAHM Wed 26-Nov-14 16:14:46

Brill - thanks all! I'll give it a whirl (and also the lavender and tea tree...). Really hoping I don't tear so much this time though... Sure things are supposed to be, err, 'stretchier' with third babies!

bouncinbean Wed 26-Nov-14 16:21:56

I didn't really soak the pad - just tipped a little bit out of the bottle and it was nice and cold and cooling and I guess a little antiseptic to help with the healing.

Heatherbell1978 Sun 30-Nov-14 17:32:38

I actually found tea tree oil to be better but I used both. I had a couple of stitches and used to pour warm water between my legs when I peed and drop tea tree oil on my pad. Worked wonders!

Pikkewyn Sun 30-Nov-14 17:36:36

I kept the witch hazel in the fridge, poured on a pad it was cooling soothing heaven.

isambardo Mon 01-Dec-14 19:23:25

My midwife recommended putting some which hazel on a pad and storing in the freezer. Use until it warms to room temp then chuck. Very soothing apparently, I'm 40 weeks now so will be testing the idea soon smile

BeginnerSAHM Tue 02-Dec-14 08:25:35

Thanks all!! Will definitely give it a whirl. 36 weeks tomorrow and counting... DC2 born at 36 weeks (DC1 at 38 weeks). Am slightly surprised DC3 isn't here already wink. Bet I have to be induced in 2015 now....

Frusso Tue 02-Dec-14 08:28:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now