Advanced search

Being induced but my body is fighting process

(16 Posts)
piazilla Wed 26-Nov-14 02:32:08

I am 37+3 this morning and was taken in at 37+1 for an induction when we established that my amniotic fluid was dangerously low. Since then I've had a prostin pessary which has caused excruciating back pain , but unfortunately hasn't effaced or dilated my cervix. The tissues have apparently softened somewhat , so something is happening, but they have scheduled breaking waters twice bit couldn't get near water bag at all the cervix was so closed!!
So now what? Do I go straight to Syntocin? I'm so scared about it, thanks to numerous horror stories about the pain associated with it. Would really appreciate hearing about your similar experiences / hand holding / convincing me not to unhook myself from this machine and running out of the hospital!!!confused

CastlesInTheSand Wed 26-Nov-14 03:17:18

I had a failed induction. Next step for me was a C Section.

I wasn't given any other choices. Wasn't asked to make a decision. Was just told I needed a C Section

bonzo77 Wed 26-Nov-14 03:27:42

I have been in your situation. No fluids, in fact no fetal movement too. After nearly 3 days of pessaries and prodding and drips and sleeplessness, and not one single contraction I finally got my section. Although there was no harm done, I was totally exhausted as was my baby. I think it meant I couldn't bf. In my next pregnany it was agreed that the situation has been mishandled and I should have had my section earlier. Certainly about 24 hours earlier, if not 48 hours earlier. Good luck.

3boys3dogshelp Wed 26-Nov-14 03:30:12

Poor you op, that sounds stressful. How many pessaries have you had? Is the baby happy when they monitor him at the moment? Have your waters gone or are your fluid levels low? Sorry for all the questions! All 3 of my pregnancies ended in induction due to low fluid levels. If the first pessary doesn't work they can repeat it until it does as long as baby is happy. I don't think they can use syntocin if your cervix is closed as it causes contractions but the baby would have nowhere to go.
Try not to worry. I was so disappointed when I was induced with ds1 but once they got me into labour I actually had a fab birth. With ds2 everyone thought the pessaries had done nothing but I went into labour in the early hours of the following morning (and had him an hour later! Lucky I was at hospital!!) Try to make sure you eat and drink properly and keep active to give yourself the best chance of it working and good luck!

WhatWouldCaitlinDo Wed 26-Nov-14 03:53:21

I was induced last week, and like you had to get the drip. I got an epidural at the same time as the drip which I was v pleased about because it meant they could give me a strong dose and get baby out quickly rather than having to ramp it up slowly.

CurlsLDN Wed 26-Nov-14 04:12:19

I also had a long induction. After two pessaries I had dilated just a crack which was enough to get in and break the waters. I chose to have an epidural - they put it in before the syntocin so you don't feel any of that pain. Also, in case you don't know (I didn't) when you have an epi they use a tiny needle first and put a local anaesthetic in, before the epi needle, so that doesn't feel as bad as I expected either.

I'm sure you must be completely exhausted, and feeling like you've had a good kicking from a horse. Hang on in there, ask a midwife for a chat about next steps so you feel prepared.

I found the pessaries and the waiting around contracting the hardest bit of my labour. Once they were able to give me the epi and syntocin I was pain free and relaxes and everything took just a few hours - which I slept through until the mw could see the babies head and woke me to push!

Good luck op, hope you're cuddling a teeny baby soon

icklekid Wed 26-Nov-14 04:46:41

Say yes to epidural if you had a drip- I did!

Sorehead Wed 26-Nov-14 04:54:00

I didn't have a traditional induction but ended up on a syntocin drip.

If you are open to the idea of an epidural at some point, if it's offered before the drip is started I'd recommend taking it. Even after the epidural is sited it can take around 15-20 mins to kick in properly. I loved my epidural! I could still move my legs (couldn't stand up though, so the ability to move legs was pretty pointless) but they felt warm, heavy and really relaxed.

Hope all is going well and you get to meet your baby soon smile

Hobby2014 Wed 26-Nov-14 05:45:12

I was in hospital being induced from Tuesday to Friday and finally had a section Friday night because nothing was happening.
I had the prostin(sp) tampon thing in for 30 hours and nothing happened. I asked for a section in the end. Section was perfectly lovely for me.
A mnetter asked me to ask for my bishops score as it needs to be quite high to say you're favourable for an induction, 7+ if I remember. I was on 3. They can't put you on the drip if they haven't broken your waters yet.
My son was 11lb7 and breech so I'm glad I went with section! He clearly didn't want to come vaginally. I was 15 days over in the end. I didn't have any contractions that I could feel in all that time either, monitor said I was having them though.

cantmakecarrotcake Wed 26-Nov-14 11:11:58

I was induced with DD. I wasn't dilating either. I discharged myself after 2 days for a decent sleep and went back in the next day for another try. 3 days later (after rupturing my membrane and 13 hours of syntocinon after which I only reached 4cm) I had the section I'd been begging for for 36 hours!

My lasting memory - and regret, I guess - is the exhaustion and brain fog I started DD's newborn days with.
I'm now 39 weeks with DD2 and refusing any induction interventions. I'd rather have an ELCS than go through all that and still have a CS.

Good luck, OP, hope you meet your baby soon.

cantmakecarrotcake Wed 26-Nov-14 11:13:11

And def get an epudural if you're on syntocinon.

SomeSunnySunday Wed 26-Nov-14 13:21:17

I was also going to say don't agree to syntocinon without an epidural (or at least the assurance that you'll be able to have one sharpish on request). The 2 hours between them starting my drip and the anaesthetist being available to do the epi were hell! (Far, far worse than natural labour, which I have also experienced).

girliefriend Wed 26-Nov-14 13:24:22

I had similar and never got past 4cm dilated after 4 days of being induced with pesseries, they finally put the drip up and it all went a bit tits up ended in an emcs.

Yy to a epidural, I just had a spinal which wore off after 2 hours and left me in agony sad

why1989 Wed 26-Nov-14 18:49:28

I did 4 hours on the drip to only dilate 1 cm, then I asked for the epidural so I could get some rest.. i had to wait an hour for it so I'd suggest asking for at the same time. The pain is bad but I thought mainly because of the lack of break between contractions. It tires you out!

LuisSuarezTeeth Wed 26-Nov-14 18:58:23

It took me ages too OP, but DS finally made an appearance (busy tying his shoelaces). Do request the epidural prior to syntocinon, it makes a big difference.

Try to stay calm, ask for pain relief if you need it and trust yourself. However it happens, your baby will soon be with you. I do hope you'll update.

Wishing all the best for you and your family <misty eyed> blush

CurlsLDN Fri 28-Nov-14 12:13:33

Op how did it go in the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now