Talk

Advanced search

Water birth after previous pph?

(17 Posts)
tuffgingernut Sun 23-Nov-14 19:25:07

Hi. Just wondered if anyone else has been given the go ahead to have a water birth after a previous large haemorrhage with 1st dc? I need to add though that this is for dc3 and 2nd delivery was a perfectly straight forward one. Asked midwife who said consultant would need to sign this off. Just weighing up if it's worth making an appointment to see her or not. Thanks

BitchPeas Sun 23-Nov-14 19:28:25

I'm in this situation. They won't at all let me in the MLU where all the nice new facilities are!

I have to be on the labour ward under a consultant, there is one pool on this floor so if it's not in use and the consultant says yes I might be able to.

I'm not holding my breath! Sucks doesn't it!

TheBooMonster Sun 23-Nov-14 19:35:08

Aye, I brought it up with my midwife at my last appointment, I almost definitely can't go onto MLBU but she didn't see any reason why I couldn't labour in a birthing pool, so she was going to contact the consultant ward to see if she could get me access to the birthing pool if I go into natural labour, obviously if I'm induced (again) I won't be let anywhere near a pool!

Allisgood1 Sun 23-Nov-14 19:37:42

IME no way. Sorry. hmm

strawberrie Sun 23-Nov-14 19:42:57

I did - I had a 1.8l PPH with baby no 1 and a water birth with no 2.
I can't really help with getting the go ahead, as I only decided on the day I went into labour that I wanted to use the pool.

When I arrived at labour suite the midwife checked with a doctor (never saw the doctor) who said I could get into the pool for labour, but would have to get out to deliver. I had a pretty straightforward labour and agreed to get out to have my waters broken with a view to trying to move things on a bit.

The midwife looked at me, gave me half a wink and said if I hopped back into the pool she wouldn't protest. 45 mins later I delivered my son by myself in the water.

I did agree to get out straight away to deliver the placenta, and I also agreed to have a precautionary cannula fitted once I was admitted to labour suite. (This was a bit of a PITA though as I had to keep that hand out of the water).

I would imagine that having had a 2nd birth without complications will count in your favour. I thought my water birth was amazing and I'm so glad to have had the opportunity to do it.

bakingtins Sun 23-Nov-14 19:53:22

I was strongly advised to be in delivery suite for DC3 after PPH with DC2.
What does access to the pool actually mean in practical terms? Is it in a MLU? Attached to or at a distance from delivery suite? Would you consider labouring in the pool and getting out for 2nd or 3rd stage?
I had Dc1 in the pool but got out to deliver placenta. I think it's difficult to assess blood loss in the pool and should you haemorrhage badly they'd be concerned about getting you out.
I was told 2-3 x the average risk of PPH if you've had one previously.

It's got to be worth discussing. It is your decision where to give birth at the end of the day (assuming access to pool is available).

WanderingTrolley1 Sun 23-Nov-14 20:10:31

I had a waterbirth with DC2 (induction) after large PPH with DC1.

Consultant was happy for it to go ahead.

MrsDarylDixon Sun 23-Nov-14 20:16:28

I had a water birth with dd2 after a pph with dd1 but like a pp I only decided when I got to hospital that was what I wanted.

Unfortunately I suffered another (bigger) pph and the registrar bollocked my mw for letting me in the pool, although it was nothing to do with her it was the senior mw who booked me in that ok'd it.
Well, this totally incensed me, and, out of my tree on g and a I said " don't you DARE shout at her its not her fault. And get your hand out of my fanny! " blush

Anyway, I don't think it's impossible and the subsequent normal delivery goes in your favour. I wouldn't set your heart on it but I don't think its out of the question.

Good luck!

tuffgingernut Sun 23-Nov-14 20:24:36

There is a pool on the delivery unit. I agree that I definitely can't go to the MLU (real shame as that's local and the main hospital is miles away) I'd be happy just to labour in the pool and deliver out of the pool as a compromise. Pph was 6 pints (sorry no idea what this is in litres) so I won't take any unnecessary risks but after a wonderfully straightforward 2nd delivery it feels like my ideal water birth isn't completely unobtainable. Reading your replies I think I will try and pursue this with the consultant.

mamalovebird Sun 23-Nov-14 20:32:48

Was the pph internal or external? I had to have a transfusion but that's because I was cut then left to bleed for over an hour as there was an emergency and the consultant left. None of the nurses felt comfortable doing my stitches as they were so deep. This wasn't explained to me until i was 30weeks pregnant with dc2 and I had booked an appointment with a consultant to go through my birth notes from dc1 to understand the reasons on why I bled so much.

As it was due to external factors and nothing 'wrong' internally it was agreed I could use the MLU.

I had to bang the drum to get a consultant to review my notes though.

Glad I did as I had a wonderful water birth for dc2.

tuffgingernut Sun 23-Nov-14 20:40:46

Hi. It was internal. It was caused by a long labour and a forceps delivery. Glad you managed to have the delivery you wanted.

mamalovebird Sun 23-Nov-14 20:44:56

It still might be worth having a de-brief with a consultant to establish how it happened and whether the option of a water birth might aid your labour. It's worth fighting for.

strawberrie Sun 23-Nov-14 20:53:22

FWIW I also had a long labour and emergency forceps delivery first time around.

mumxof3x Sun 23-Nov-14 20:55:48

I had a large PPH with ds1, I wanted a water birth with ds2...i wasnt allowed, I then wanted one with ds3 again it wasnt allowed, I had no PPH in ds2&3 births. I am now pregnant with no4 and iv stressed to the consultant and midwifes its my last child and every single time ive been refused a water birth (ds1 was refused as I was induced and had meconium in waters) so they said that as I have had 2 normal births now with no complications I can use the pool provided no bleeding starts in labour as thats when mine started with ds1 and that I have a cannular fitted still just incase. But im not allowed to birth in the pool. Definately try to persue it if its what you want to do x

tuffgingernut Sun 23-Nov-14 21:06:30

Thanks Strawberrie, sounds like we've had similar experiences.

Mumxofx3, mine also started in labour. I feel more confident in persuing this now having read such varied responses. Definitely feels like it's worth looking into further at least.
Thanks all.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 24-Nov-14 18:52:16

I insisted and gave birth in the Edgeware Birthing Unit for my second. But then I refused to acknowledge that my pph was anything other than mismanagement of the birth and explained that the whole point of the birth pool and MLU was to keep subsequent malpractice the hell away from me.

Somehow I got what I wanted.

My 3rd was a home waterbirth though I didn't really have to shout due to the previous one being a MLU waterbirth that went well.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 24-Nov-14 18:55:01

ROFL at MrsDaryl

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now