Talk

Advanced search

ELCS waiting time.

(22 Posts)
EstRusMum Sun 23-Nov-14 08:46:53

Hi, ladies.
Was just wondering how long does it take to get to theatre when you're coming to hospital for ELCS? I've read somewhere that it might be hours or that I might be sent home because of the amount of EMCS on that day. How long did you had to wait and how long did you stay in hospital post op?

Kerberos Sun 23-Nov-14 08:52:31

They usually fit ELCS in between emergencies so yes it could be hours. Mine was delayed by a couple of emergencies so didn't get in unti 2pm. They kept me fully informed as to what was happening and when. I stayed in for about 3 night I think.

mistymorningmemories Sun 23-Nov-14 08:57:27

I didn't get in until 3pm. There were two elcs in front of me and two emcs went in as well. They did say they would do everything they could to do me that day but another emcs could have pushed me to the next day. (They did say that had only ever happened once though). I was so hungry and thirsty - they took pity on me and let me have a cup of black tea at mid day!

mistymorningmemories Sun 23-Nov-14 08:58:04

Oh and I stayed in four nights post op.

GaryShitpeas Sun 23-Nov-14 09:00:21

It depends if there's emergencies

I had all sections. dc1 and dc3 were born quite early in the day (11am and 10am) but had to wait til 4pm to go to theatre when I had dc2 the waiting was awful

PetShopGirl Sun 23-Nov-14 09:01:03

I had mine this week. Was first on the ELCS list and had to be in hospital for 8am, but didn't actually make it to theatre until 1pm in the end because of emergencies.

GaryShitpeas Sun 23-Nov-14 09:01:29

Oh yeah and with dc2 they kept saying I might be sent home if a slot didn't become free shock

PetShopGirl Sun 23-Nov-14 09:02:22

Should have added that I stayed in hospital two nights post op.

Quitelikely Sun 23-Nov-14 09:03:47

I went in at eight in the morning and was told at 6pm that I would have to wait until the following day. However I was relieved because I was starving so we immediately left and went for food!

No food on the day incase you didn't know!

MrsJuice Sun 23-Nov-14 09:10:03

I had to be there at 7am, and was sent home at 6pm due to emergencies. Having been involved in a quite serious car accident the previous day, and them wanting to admit me, I was surprised.
Anyway, I was first on the list next day, so it wasn't a huge issue.

claracluck1978 Sun 23-Nov-14 09:14:48

Mine is a bit of a horror story - my elcs with my twins was postponed SIX times! I had a hospital stay prior to the delivery and after taking pre-op meds for the fifth night in succession, we were once again told that the nicu cots that we may or may not need were unavailable. At that stage we transferred to another hospital and the following morning at 9am I was wheeled down to theatre only to be wheeled out less than 90m later with my two beautiful boys! I soon forgot about the week long wait to have them delivered! C

noitsachicken Sun 23-Nov-14 09:18:31

Most people seem to be staying in at least two nights, I have been told it should only be one night unless there are problems?
Anyone come home after one night?

itsonlysubterfuge Sun 23-Nov-14 09:30:35

I came home after one night against medical advice and I had an emergency C-section. I was fine.

GaryShitpeas Sun 23-Nov-14 11:02:55

I stayed 3 nights each time

Trust me, you need it

Showy Sun 23-Nov-14 11:08:19

I've had two EMCS but the second wasn't critically time-dependent like the first. I'd been in labour for 2 days and contractions were regular but I had stalled in terms of dilation. The baby was also in a shit position and they knew it was only going to get worse. This was at 10am. I was wheeled to theatre at 11am at which point there were two crash CS unfolding so I was wheeled back to the ward. Same again at 1pm. DS was finally born at 3.30pm.

I stayed 12 hours after my first CS and 36hrs after my second. Earliest you can go is day 2 with day 1 being the day of the op. Most places still operate on a 2 night rule unless there are complications.

Trust me, it depends on the person.

Only1scoop Sun 23-Nov-14 11:12:42

I had to be in early....about 7. I was on the list to go down about 9 but a few emergencies arose and I ended up going to theatre around 1.

It just depends on the day.

I stayed in for 3 nights but they were happy to let me go after 2.

EstRusMum Sun 23-Nov-14 11:18:48

Thank you for replies.
clara it does sound like a horror story. Hopefully I won't have to starve for a week to have my little girl.

Does any of you know, what will happen on the next day? Will I be considered as emergency? With my firstborn I went in labour at 39,3, was induced and ended up with EMCS. This time I have my ELCS booked for 39 weeks on 2/01 and it's Friday. So if I won't be able to get in on Friday, next day for elective ones is going to be Monday the 5th and it's 39,3 for me. I'm afraid I'll end up going in labour around the same time and gonna have to go through the same thing again.
I am the first for elective on that day, but how likely can it happen that there will be so many emergencies infront of me that it will be postponed?

Roomba Sun 23-Nov-14 11:19:30

I could have managed to come home after one night with my second section, though they kept me in for two nights. I felt fine, bit of pain on moving around but nothing like I was expecting after my first (EMCS). Then I was in for nine days and still felt that it was too soon for me to manage on my own, but that was a particularly grim recovery.

With my ELCS I had to go in for 7.45am, but knew I was down for a slot at 11.00. I was taken to theatre at 11.55 as they were running a bit late - and DS was born at 12.12 so they didn't hang about!

mistymorningmemories Sun 23-Nov-14 13:48:37

If you go over to the next day you would be top of the list for elcs but not an emergency. If you're already the top of the list, the liklihood of being dumped to the next day is very low. I was last on the list and still got in on the day despite two emergencies.

SockQueen Mon 24-Nov-14 14:38:53

Different hospitals run things in different ways - the last two where I've worked have a separate list for electives, so that women shouldn't get bumped for emergencies too often (though obviously if the emergency theatre is already running and a second woman needs a CS the elective list would be held up). If you are first on the list it is unlikely that you would get cancelled, though you may have a wait in the morning before you actually get into theatre.

misslaughalot Mon 24-Nov-14 14:52:52

I had an ELCS 2 weeks ago. Went into hospital at 7am, walked into theatre at 10.45 and DS was born at 11.30. Was home by 4pm the next day, perfect.

Good luck!

Heels99 Mon 24-Nov-14 14:56:20

I was booked for c section but went into labour early. Arrived at hospital 1am for emergency section which finally happened at 11am but they transferred me to a different hospital during labour.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now