Talk

Advanced search

PPH risk

(4 Posts)
Peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 20-Nov-14 19:29:24

I know there's already a PPH risk discussion on here today, but my question is slightly different.

I had a medical termination about seven years ago, but I had RPOC which led to a haemorrhage and eventual ERPC. I don't know how much blood I lost, because I didn't go into hospital until the last minute - I was young and alone and didn't realise that what was happening wasn't normal. Thus I don't know whether it would be classed as minor or major. I've also moved areas quite a few times since then, so my medical notes are incomplete and the midwives and doctors I'm currently under don't know about any of this, except for what I've told them.

At the time of the termination, I was on 300mg venlafaxine, which had a blood-thinning effect on me. I took this dose for around eight years. I still have quite thin blood; it gushes out of me when I scratch myself, for example! However, the midwife I'm seeing at the moment cannot see beyond my high BMI and insists that I have thick blood and must have blood-thinning injections. When I asked her if thinning my blood even more would put me at risk of another haemorrhage she just said no, because I can't have thin blood.

The haemorrhage I had was a very traumatic experience. I couldn't stand up without a large puddle of blood going all over the floor, and I was passing clots the size of tennis balls. I do not want to go through that again.

So am I at risk of PPH following this experience, even though it wasn't actually post-partum the first time?
Can I refuse the blood-thinning injections without seeming obstructive?
Would it be worth requesting my hospital notes from the time and showing them to the midwife?

littlejohnnydory Thu 20-Nov-14 19:55:57

I would ask for a Consultant's appointment to discuss the risk. If midwife won't refer you, go to your GP and tell them exactly what you've written here and ask to be referred to an Obstetrician. I don't know whether your experience increases your risk but I don't think I'd accept the injections without further discussion. Your midwife seems to be basing herdecision on general risk rather than your particular history. Your experience sounds horrible, I hope someone can reassure you.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 20-Nov-14 20:22:38

Thank you for replying. I've actually been seeing a consultant throughout the pregnancy for other reasons, but it never occurred to me to ask about this - it was only this week when the midwife told me about the blood-thinning injections that I even thought about it! Also, at 34 weeks I'm starting to get anxious about the birth and thinking about possible risks and complications confused
I may well go to the GP though.

Peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 20-Nov-14 20:23:36

Ah meant to add that the consultant has signed me off now so I won't have any more appointments with them. Typical, as soon as I have an actual question!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now