Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had two sections then opted for a VBAC?

(14 Posts)
BingoBonkers Thu 13-Nov-14 17:38:56

I've had two sections. First due to failed induction. Noted as emergency but it really wasn't. Couldn't have been further from an emergency. Second section was elective.

I'm now pregnant with my third. Still early weeks and following a chat with my MW she has mentioned that a VBAC is possible. I thought it would be a Straight to theatre for C Section" affair but potentially not.

Wondering if anyone has any experience or where I could find out more information?

Thank you.

organiccarrotcake Thu 13-Nov-14 17:54:46

I've not, but I've supported loads of women to. It's a really valid option and has lower risks than a 3rd section. This is a useful website www.caesarean.org.uk/

I'm posting all about the AIMS books tonight but there is a brilliant one on VBAC: aims.org.uk/pubs.htm#VBAC

Worth bearing in mind that induction or augmentation is not a great idea after a previous section so when going for a vaginal birth it would make sense to try to plan it to be as effective as possible, by making your birth space beautiful (can be done in hospital if you want to birth there). Lowered nights and being able to move around is really important. You might want to look at whether or not you'd want to accept continuous monitoring as there's little value in it (even with VBAC) and it really limits your movement.

dameagatha Thu 13-Nov-14 18:06:47

Hi Bingo
I had a VBAC 8 months ago with DS2. DS1 was EMCS 19 months before that as he was breech. The CS was v straightforward & I wouldn't have been worried about having a 2nd. But I did have a niggling feeling of having missed something through the CS, so I thought I'd go for the VBAC. Midwife was v enthusiastic.
In the event, it was pretty good, although I had to be attached to a fetal monitor the whole time in case of baby distress/internal scar rupture. This meant I couldn't get up or move around at all & had to labour on my back with stirrups.
I said afterwards that I'd never do that again, as a CS was much easier... but I definitely would.
Hope this helps a bit? smile

dameagatha Thu 13-Nov-14 18:07:54

Organic: wish I'd know it would've been OK to leave the monitor off!

rota09 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:17:52

I'm going for a vba2c in December after an emcs (10 years ago) and elcs (21months ago)

I've had to fight to even be listened to by the consultants and I've changed midwives due to lack of support.

There is a group on Facebook called vbac support group UK who are an amazing group of ladies.

organiccarrotcake Thu 13-Nov-14 18:19:59

There is a Cochrane review on continuous foetal monitoring (CFM) here:www.mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochrane/clsysrev/articles/CD006066/frame.html

Also this: www.caesarean.org.uk/articles/VBACScarMonitoring.html

There is no evidence that CFM leads to better outcomes for women who are choosing to VBAC. What the evidence does say is that there isn't' a reduction in stillbirth, nor in cerebral palsy. There is a small reduction in the number of babies who experience seizures after birth, but these don't seem to be related to long term outcomes. However as CFMs do have high false positive rates, it does increase the risk of another CS, without cause.

In addition you are limited in your movement which limits your ability to deal with labour sensations and is more likely to lead to you needing an epidural. Then you are in the position where you cannot feel any scar separation - which is often the first sign of a problem - so really it's better to be able to be without pain relief and in tune with your body. Movement, water, darkness - they all help hugely with this.

You don't have to accept anything. You can absolutely decline the CFM if you wish.

Dameagatha - I'm really sorry to also add in that there's generally no good evidence that birthing a breech baby by CS is actually safer than vaginally, if the caregivers are confident and experienced. Sadly there are few of those around nowadays after a flawed research piece called the Term Breech Trial led to most practitioners preferring to encourage women to have CSs.

TheRealMaryMillington Thu 13-Nov-14 18:26:52

Yes, and I'm so glad I did - it was amazing, with zero intervention.

I had to really push (no pun intended) for it, but was lucky that the Consultant Midwife at my hospital was really wanting to break new ground and made it possible to deliver on MLU - I was the first VBA2C they'd allowed. He was brilliant - was on speed dial to come in to deliver - offered pool etc.

For me the risks (such as they are) were worth it - I found my second planned (hardly elective, DD was several days over and induction wasn't an option) a really gruelling and both physically and emotionally painful experience.

PM me if you want to ask specifics. (also LuluMama on here - if she is still around - has some wise words on VBAC)

dameagatha Thu 13-Nov-14 18:50:21

Well, luckily both DSs are healthy & happy, & both births were, in their own way, good experiences. Felt loads better far quicker after the 2nd though!grin

BingoBonkers Fri 14-Nov-14 21:46:52

Thank you everyone.

After a failed first induction there is no way I would entertain a second one.

What concerns me the most is, for example, deciding to opt for VBAC and then not having the strength of character or knowledge to push for it. I was basically bullied into my first section. I was told that the hospital would not monitor me daily and it was hospital policy to get the baby out at 42weeks. I was also terrified of the shock tactics used regarding repeatedly telling me I am risking my baby's life once it was post 42weeks.

BingoBonkers Fri 14-Nov-14 21:48:37

Rota once I've had my 12wk scan and assuming all is well and our baby news Is public I will join the FB group. Thanks.

AnotherStitchInTime Fri 14-Nov-14 21:55:45

I was given my consultant's blessing for a vbac2c with my third (Head of Obstetrics at Oueen Charlotte's and Chelsea). The risks for vbac2c are the same near enough as for vbac1c, she and her consultant colleague both told me this. Unfortunately I had placenta percreta so had an ELCS in the end.

Try to find a consultant that is pro-vbac and speak to the supervisor of midwives, get them to write on your notes that they have spoken to you re: your birth choices so that midwives on the day of the birth know not to pressure you (supervisor's of midwives are always around should you need back up on the day too). I saw a SOM when planning my first vbac (that ended in emcs) as I refused CFM and cannulation and she was supportive.

BingoBonkers Fri 21-Nov-14 15:34:54

Thanks Stitch. My MW has mentioned the Supervisor of Midwives so I will certainly follow up. With two DC already a VBAC would be better. That's just one reason not the only. The thought of six weeks taking it easy fills me with dread. I took ages to recover after DC2. A good 4-5 weeks. I was a wreck. Also I had an infected section incision.

Tranquilitybaby Fri 21-Nov-14 23:27:47

We could be twins bingo seriously. My previous birth history is identical to yours! My mw said over the phone "automatic third section then", I didn't argue but will discuss it tomorrow.

I may just go for the section as birth fills me with fear though.

thatsn0tmyname Fri 21-Nov-14 23:38:55

I had a vbac with dc2 after having an emcs with dc1. The vbac was fine; after attending the support group I thought I'd be strapped down and constantly monitored but actually I was left to get on with it (in a good way)and had more freedom than I thought. I needed forceps eventually (as she was stuck) but the whole experience was far more positive. However, the recoveries of both were both slow and equally debilitating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now