Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used an Perineum Epi?!

(20 Posts)
bumpitybumpbump Tue 11-Nov-14 16:23:57

I have been told that to reduce likelihood of tearing I should use one of these (had an episiotomy for DD1): www.epino.de/en/birth-preparation.html . I had no idea what they were talking about until I googled it and am now horrified at the prospect. "Darling, could you step out of the room for a few minutes, I need to spend some time stretching my fanjo...yes yes yes, don't worry it will go back...".

Was also advised to do Perineal massage. Another seriously?! Did anyone do this (these) and did it stop tearing?

WhyOWhyWouldYou Tue 11-Nov-14 16:44:27

shockshockconfusedhmm Watching to see what others say about the epi-no.

Perineal massage I've heard of before. There is supposed to be some evidence for it working if its your first and some NHS trusts have published leaflets on it so I think it must be fairly legit. I tried it but didn't do it consistently and it didn't work for me.

vallinnapod Tue 11-Nov-14 17:05:16

I had the Epi No. Very quick birth with DS but no tears or stitches.

Bestie also used one (hers, not mine wink) and due to heart rates dipping was threatened with an episiotomy if her baby hadn't been born on the next push. She managed it and again, no tears or stitches.

I am about to dust it off for DC2s impending arrival.

hotfuzzra Tue 11-Nov-14 19:29:02

We've been doing perineal massage since week 36. It started off a bit awkward but I told DH months ago that I wanted to try it and he's been bloody marvellous. No sniggering or anything!
He was quite shocked the other week when one of his colleagues asked him loudly in the office if he (DH) was doing any massage on me. He made some noises about rubbing my back and colleague said loudly "oh no I meant perineal massage!" DH was spluttering and couldn't believe this bloke (married, two kids) thought that'd be ok to chat about mid office! Haha I said I didn't mind, colleague had obviously been roped in by his wife too!
I'd never heard of the Epi Thing, think I would have used it if I'd heard of it. Every little helps!

bumpitybumpbump Tue 11-Nov-14 20:18:41

Hahaha laughing at the idea of the men actually discussing this together! I confess it hadn't occurred to me that he'd have to do it, but then I'm only 16 weeks so have forgotten about the physical obstacles I will be facing on the final run! Right well at least you kind ladies have confirmed it's probably worthwhile and thankfully something I don't have to think about for a whole. Note to self though must order epi no for delivery to HOME address shock

ampersandand Wed 12-Nov-14 20:07:44

I used mothercares perernial gel about 6 times perhaps, gave up using it from conflicting advice. Ended up induced with epidural which was probably a good thing as he came out with one hand first like superman, ripped me from top to bottom and had an episiotomy. I think I may try that out if I am lucky enough to have another child!

caravela Thu 13-Nov-14 00:33:35

Yes, I used an epino. I really do think it helped me and I think it's a shame that it's so little heard of even among midwives in the UK because I think everyone should be told about them. I only heard of it because someone I knew had used one and was really adamant that it was worth it.

I had a quick delivery, just a couple of grazes and no stitches needed, even though dd had her hand up by her face, which the midwife said could have been nasty (the midwives were surprised that I got off so lightly). Maybe I'd have been lucky anyway even without the epino, but I also think that using its beforehand helped me a lot psychologically because I could measure how the muscles had got a lot more stretchy (got from 4cm diameter to about 9 with the balloon in the 3 weeks training) and I had got used to the feeling of something large passing through the entrance to the vagina and so had learnt to relax into it rather than tensing up. I think if I'd gone from nothing to having a baby's head, I'd have found it much harder. So yes, I'd totally recommend it (and have been telling all my friend's that if they have babies they need to get one). It's just a pity that they're pretty expensive.

(And yes, DH was a bit freaked out by the epino at first, but he got used to the idea and to be honest there's so much grim stuff in pregnancy and birth that it was just one of various things he had to not be squeamish about).

Mel0Drama Thu 13-Nov-14 01:23:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mel0Drama Thu 13-Nov-14 01:30:58

vallinnapod Thu 13-Nov-14 06:43:33

mel I know it's expensive but it was worth every penny (don't work for them!!)

I figure if I get off with no tears or stitches this time I would have happily paid £45 per pregnancy for that advantage grin

caravela Thu 13-Nov-14 12:47:22

Yes I agree. The price did make me think twice but then I figured that if it worked it would definitely be worth it to me, and you can also use it for pelvic floor training in the months after the birth. Given how things worked out it was totally worth it (and paying so much was a good incentive to do the practice twice a day for 3 weeks...)

vallinnapod Thu 13-Nov-14 19:41:28

Must start using mine again...it wasn't my favourite moment in the day!

ffallada Fri 14-Nov-14 11:10:23

I offered my dh the opportunity to either try the massage or buy me one of the epi-no's so I could do it myself. He chose to buy the epi-no.

On the same vain I offered him the chance to cut my toe nails (I'm 36 weeks and haven't seen my feet for ages) or send me to the chiropodist - so I now have lovely professionally cut toe nails.

Yes the epi-no is grim and expensive (even the postage is expensive as they insist on sending it recorded delivery) but if it saves my fanjo I think it'll be worth it.

I told my midwife about it - she looked mystified!

littlesupersparks Fri 14-Nov-14 11:13:29

Hmm surely it's just more about natural propensities to these things? My eldest came out with hand by face and I also had my placenta manually removed by a doctor - no tears/grazes. I also have no stretch marks. I think I just have stretchy skin!

Bellerina2 Sat 15-Nov-14 14:10:14

Judging by the title of this thread I thought for a moment it was about hair removal!

I didn't use an epi no but did perineal massage on myself from about 36 weeks onwards. I had a v straightforward water birth and although I did year, the midwife said I was lucky it was only a second degree one as I have a "short perineum", which normally results in third or fourth degree ones. So I definitely think the massage helped!

caravela Sat 15-Nov-14 18:37:32

I'd imagine that with any muscle/tissue it would be a mixture of natural propensity and training? As in, some people can easily touch their toes, some people are miles off, but regularly stretching makes you get better over time. And it's not like in life you get many opportunities to find out how naturally stretchy your perineum is. But I definitely found I could get the balloon much more inflated over the course of 3 weeks. Maybe people who've used massage instead can also notice themselves able to get a bigger stretch over time? Seeing the progress (you can measure the balloon size) compensated for the grimness because at least I felt some sense of achievement.

Mel0Drama Sun 16-Nov-14 12:41:31

Equimum Sun 16-Nov-14 14:20:24

Yes, I did perineal massage religiously in the run-up to my labour. I'm afraid to say I had a severe 3rd degree tears and labial tearing to top it off!

Hazchem Mon 17-Nov-14 09:32:51

The other thing to look at is birth positions. The way you are positions will impact on if you tear or not. For example if you have a big baby who is coming fast rather then a deep squat position you might want to be knees and elbows to slow down the birth and give you time to stretch.

MissWa2a Mon 17-Nov-14 11:47:42

Am 40+11 (and wondering if my baby will ever decide it's ready to vacate my body). However, have been using epi-no for the last 6 weeks or so for stretching, and longer for p.f. strengthening. Have got to 9.5 cm. It helps to give me confidence that should nothing go wrong, I will be able to birth my small one with a minimum of damage to my body. I look at it as a marathon - you'd be pretty naive to head into such an event without mental and physical preparation, for me this is part of my prep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now