Talk

Advanced search

Second baby - induction or caesarean on/before due date?

(9 Posts)
PontypineNumber9 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:23:46

I am 26 weeks pregnant with DC2. Due to complications with DD's birth and the fact she was so ill when she was born (meconium/hypoxia/organ failure/strokes - possibly related to her being 13 days late) I am being advised to be induced or have a c section at 39 or 40 weeks.
DD was a spontaneous labour, I went into labour at 41+5. As I was so late first time around I doubt I will go into labour before 40 weeks so it looks like I will need to decide between an induction and a caesarean. I know there are big downsides to both and I'm finding it really difficult to choose. Any advice/experiences you can share? I'd be particularly keen to hear about experiences of inductions for second babies. I thought induction was meant to be slow and painful but my midwife says they are generally faster if you have already had a baby. Given the drama surrounding my first labour I like the clinical sound of a c-s but am scared by the recovery time, especially with a toddler to look after.
Thanks in advance.

ColdHandsWarmHeart Tue 11-Nov-14 07:33:02

Hi OP, I had a slightly different scenario in my second pregnancy as the ELCS was for my benefit (after a bad tear in my previous labour). So I won't go into all the reasons why I didn't want induction, but one thing that may also be relevant to you is the time it could take, and uncertainty. In a worst case scenario it could take 48hrs for the drugs to kick in, then 24hr in labour, then there's always the possibility of EMCS with another couple of nights in. I just didn't want to potentially be away from my toddler for that long. With ELCS I was in for two nights as predicted. I appreciate that I'm comparing a worst case against a best case, and it wasn't the main reason I chose a CS, but it's something to consider.

Also re recovery from a CS, if you have support at home and are able to take it easy for the first couple of weeks (no heavy lifting, including your toddler), I found recovery was easy. There are lots of threads on here giving tips on CS recovery, but I was basically feeling really well after 2 weeks, and completely back to normal after 6.

Cockadoodledooo Tue 11-Nov-14 08:05:42

Again a different scenario to you (ds1 was induced 2 weeks over and that ended in anemergency section), but I went for the elective section with ds2.

I was really worried about it because I'd had a nightmare establishing bf with ds1, the care in the hospital had been pretty rubbish and my recovery seemed to take forever. None of those issues the second time fortunately! Different hospital, standard of care so much better, we were skin to skin as soon as they'd wiped and weighed him after delivery. Recovery time much quicker too, I was back driving after 4 weeks and able to look after dc and myself alone from. Sunday to Friday as dh was working away. Ds1 was 5y 10m though so not quite as dependent as a toddler.

bronya Tue 11-Nov-14 08:18:36

I think you have to weigh up the pros and cons. Writing them down might help. My first child got stuck, distressed by the pushing etc. Second was set off by a sweep and arrived fast and with no problems. My body just took over and there she was! Quick recovery too. So induction might be fine.

PontypineNumber9 Tue 11-Nov-14 19:49:21

Thank you for your replies. I agree bronya - induction might be fine and if I knew it was going to be I would hugely prefer that to a caesarean. But there seem to be so many horror stories with induction. Gah! It is a tough call. Luckily I have a bit of time to think it all through. Will do the pros and cons list and see where I end up.

Kalinka16 Tue 11-Nov-14 20:02:07

Good thread, am debating similar right now. Had induction followed by EMCS at 42 weeks with DD (despite being sure of dates and already an older mum at that stage). This time I do not want induction at all, and am going to request ELCS if baby doesn't start naturally by 39-40 weeks. Recovery last time went well and my OH is totally up for being on call with my 5 yo DD for a few weeks.

Pico2 Tue 11-Nov-14 21:31:58

I think that inductions of first and subsequent babies probably tend to have different outcomes - but I don't think this is necessarily pointed out to women being induced. I think induction for a second VB is probably more likely to work quickly and end in an successful VB than induction for a first as your body knows how to do a VB.

However I am no expert.

organiccarrotcake Thu 13-Nov-14 17:47:22

How sure are you about birthing early? I completely understand after last time that it will be a very important consideration but 41+ 5 isn't actually overdue and not really very late. Is there any reason that this baby is likely to be affected in the same way?

Obviously I hear you really wanting to have a clear path after last time, and I'm so sorry you had such a hard time, but I'm just thinking that unfortunately neither induction nor CS is a straightforward option (obviously as otherwise you wouldn't be asking!) and I'm wondering whether you feel there's space to come back to exploring the third way - seeing how things go for a spontaneous labour? Maybe with extra monitoring to see how your baby's doing?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm going off at a tangent and you may well have absolutely decided against it smile If so then these two books are really useful to help with decision making on the two options: www.amazon.co.uk/Caesarean-Birth-Questions-Chippington-Derrick-Paperback/dp/B00NPO6R6O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415900765&sr=8-2&keywords=caesarean+birth+chippington

aims.org.uk/pubs.htm#inducingLabour

PontypineNumber9 Thu 13-Nov-14 22:49:33

Thanks organic. That's an interesting perspective and to be honest I hadn't considered not bringing the baby on early after the midwife mentioned it. The problem seems to be that noone knows why my daughter was so ill when she was born and being overdue has been mentioned as a possible factor (she was born 13 days past due date). I think partly it's for my peace of mind but I will ask about the risk associated wih going past the due date this time and giving the baby more time to come of its own accord.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now