Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Relocated from US, 27 Weeks Pregnant - Where to start?

(11 Posts)
KGastaldo Mon 10-Nov-14 11:22:43

Hello Mums,

I could use some help navigating the NHS system, if anyone has advice. I just moved from the US and am living in temporary housing, near Tower Bridge. My husband and I will be relocating to East Dulwich at the end of the month.

I'm honestly not sure where to start. Do I register with a GP first? Tour a hospital? I'm 27 weeks and will need the Rho-GAM shot in a little over a week - but the GP in my area didn't know what I was talking about when I called. And they were hesitant to treat me, as I won't be in the area long. I'm not sure if your prenatal visits are with your GP or with a midwife.

So, where does one start?

I am working for a UK company and have private insurance (not sure if I need it). I have yet to receive my NHS number yet.

Thank you for any advice!

BarryTheHatchet Mon 10-Nov-14 11:26:39

I have no experience of relocating, but the way it works here is that you tell your GP you're pregnant and they put you in the system. They'll ask you what hospital you want to use and contact them, then the midwifery team take over, contacting you to get you in to the hospital for your 'booking in' appointment at 12 weeks. Obviously you're beyond that, but I'd say the GP is still your first port of call.
Can you go and register with one in East Dulwich now?

Azquilith Mon 10-Nov-14 11:29:21

I'd phone a GP in East Dulwich. They tend to see you straight off then you get passed to the community midwives for antenatal care. No idea what the shot is you mention and I was pregnant two years ago!

EmbarrassedPossessed Mon 10-Nov-14 11:32:52

In the UK the shot you are referring to is called an anti-D injection, which might be why the GP was unaware of what you were referring to.

There should be a team of midwives in the East Dulwich area who will manage your care initially. You can usually contact midwife teams direct and go from there.

BarryTheHatchet Mon 10-Nov-14 11:39:29

Oh, and I don't think you can tour hospitals any more, I got given a DVD about the labour ward.

Staffing levels and infection control, I think.

KGastaldo Mon 10-Nov-14 11:44:38

@EmbarrassedPossessed - Thank you! That makes more sense. I explained about the different blood types, but misnaming the shot would have caused the confusion.

Thanks for all your help. I will reach out to the GP in East Dulwich now.

Siarie Mon 10-Nov-14 11:52:19

You can still tour labour wards, it depends on the hospital though but mine offers it.

Lots of helpful advice above, first point of call is your GP. They should be able to help you from there. It might take a while to get your notes passed but you could always register with your local GP then change when you move to East dulwich.

EmbarrassedPossessed Mon 10-Nov-14 11:52:53

No problem. Hope you find a decent GP practice in East Dulwich who can refer you on to the local midwife team.

BeginnerSAHM Mon 10-Nov-14 16:31:36

Not much to add other than East Dulwich will be a lovely place to have a first baby. There are loads of baby groups etc and it's very family-friendly. King's will be the nearest hospital - excellent busy London teaching hospital but, like most London ones, I gather the post-natal ward isn't amazing and you'll probably want to go home ASAP after the birth. (That's what I've been told anyway - not experienced it yet...)

I see a King's midwife at my GP's surgery and she is excellent. The antenatal scanning at King's is also excellent (although there are a lot of junior doctors in the room at each scan as it's a huge antenatal research centre so attracts a lot of postgrad students). I had the option of going to St Thomas's too so you might, depending on where you live. I think that might be a bit better hospital (friends and family have had babies there) but I didn't want a long drive in labour: I have had two babies already and they arrived extremely quickly - so I have to go to the nearest hospital. Luckily, it's a very good one.

Hope you like Dulwich!

toastandmarmiterocks Mon 10-Nov-14 18:11:39

You can self refer to Kings. Call the antenatal clinic or their maternity helpline and they will point you in the right direction. Unless you have an East Dulwich address the GP won't accept you.
Congratulations by the way grin

Pico2 Mon 10-Nov-14 18:16:49

I'd contact your health insurance to find out whether it covers pregnancy & birth in the UK. International policies often do, but sometimes with a block out period at the start. Most UK plans are designed to complement the NHS provision and don't cover much pregnancy wise.

If you are covered then you can self refer to a private obstetrician and there are lots of threads on MN to help you choose one. You can also self-fund for private care.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: