Talk

Advanced search

St Johns Hospital Livingston

(11 Posts)
Vinylux Sat 08-Nov-14 21:19:40

Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience of this hospital? I'm going there for an ELCS next month. Had DS1 at the ERI.
A few specific questions which I would really appreciate answers to -
Are there are any single rooms or are all beds on the ward? how big are the wards? If you were booked for an ELCS at a particular time did you actually get your section at or around that time? I know if you are booked at the ERI you inevitably get bumped down the queue as they deal with emergencies, not sure if that happens as much at St Johns. Did you generally have a positive experience there?
All comments very much appreciated.

dy14 Sat 08-Nov-14 22:10:56

I am so glad you have written a post like this. I am the exact same and looking for positive experiences of elective sections there! So thank you! Looking forward to replies! p.s all the best to you! smile smile

pissedglitter Sat 08-Nov-14 22:14:46

My youngest is 12, I have nothing but nice things to say about my experiences at St Johns maternity

GuiltyAsAGirlCanBe Sat 08-Nov-14 22:22:11

I think you will have to accept that at any nhs hospital an elective procedure will sometimes get bumped for a dire emergency, especially in obstetrics where you cannot control how many women will be given birth at any particular time.

At the hospital I work sometimes the labour wards are chocca, other times they are quiet. I had an elcs around Xmas time at it was done exactly when it should be. Not many people plan pregnancies to be due around Xmas!

I think it is fair to judge a hospital on the professionalism of the staff, or the it facilities, or other things that can be controlled/predicted; but it is a bit unfair to judge it too harshly when it occasionally has to prioritise an emergency. I would rather another parent and child had a safe emergency birth even if it meant me having to wait another day or two to have an unrushed elcs with staff that were well rested and not rushing through a list in order to avoid rubbing other patients the wring way.

Pyjamaface Sat 08-Nov-14 22:26:40

It wasn't an ELCS so I can't comment on that part (EMCS) but my experience was definitely a positive one.

Helpful, cheerful staff. I had a room on my own (I presume because DS wasn't with me) and staff kept popping their head in my door to check I was ok. The food is really good was really good as well

Pyjamaface Sat 08-Nov-14 22:28:06

FGS excuse my stupid phone

dy14 Sat 08-Nov-14 22:29:13

Yes I agree. It's somthing you cannot predict and help with emergency sections. I would happily wait ankther day or two to let an emergency go in. I am so nervous I just want to no positive stories for Elective Sections and I think I am going to St. Johns also so would be nice to no! grin

pissedglitter Sat 08-Nov-14 22:31:52

When my kids where in SCBU I was in a private room
I was moved to a ward when my baby was well enough to be with me

pissedglitter Sat 08-Nov-14 22:32:39

Nice to 'see' people from my local area here

Vinylux Sun 09-Nov-14 21:34:34

Thanks v much to ladies who have posted their own experiences of St Johns.
Guiltyasagirlcanbe - my dc1 and I are only alive because of having a crash section as an emergency so, believe me, I don't need anyone to explain to me why prioritising emergency cases is the right thing to do. I was simply looking for actual practical information from people who have actually had a section at St Johns so I know what to expect.

Vinylux Fri 14-Nov-14 13:54:34

Bumping in case anyone else has delivered at St Johns......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now