Talk

Advanced search

6 week check: interesting to see what GPs look out for

(23 Posts)
thomasstockmann Sat 08-Nov-14 12:35:01

6 week check: were you asked about all these things?
I was a bit shocked to see the numbers about urinary and faecal incontinence after birth.
What do you think?

www.patient.co.uk/doctor/mothers-six-week-postnatal-check

GingerCuddleMonster Sat 08-Nov-14 12:46:21

I was asked one question "so, everything ok?"

I replied well yes as good as can be I suppose. Great he said and I was shown the door....waited 30mins in a waiting room for that!!

PicandMinx Sat 08-Nov-14 13:24:52

The GPs at our surgery don't offer a 6 week check unless there are ongoing problems.

KittyandTeal Sat 08-Nov-14 13:29:59

Gosh my 6 week check involved an internal examination as well as an embarrassingly in depth discussion about my stitches, bum and any weeping issues.

I guess I should be glad it was thorough but at the time
It was just cringy!

redexpat Sat 08-Nov-14 14:43:26

She checked my stitches had healed, and checked that my uterus was contractind, checked pelvic floor muscles and did a smear. Dont remember what else. I talked over a lot of those things with my wonderful hv.

GingerCuddleMonster Sat 08-Nov-14 16:58:48

well goes to show how crap my surgery is angry. I knew there was a reason I never went.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 08-Nov-14 17:24:13

Last time mine had a go at me for having baby with me (i dont have any childcare, so where was I supposed to leave him - in the car???). Said are you OK, to which I answered no, I was having horrendous problems with wound healing down below (stitches had dissolved too fast, wound opened up completely, hospital wouldn't do anything just said itll take a lot longer to heal, then it became infected, had antibiotics, it cleared up but got thrush from antibiotics, then seemed to have come back) and i was concerned infection was back. She just told me not to be ridiculous and ushered me out. I actually cried.

Had to make an appointment following day to actually get wound checked, it was infected again.

This time I'm not sure I'll even bother going to a 6week checkup appointment, just make a normal appointment if I need it.

LegoCaltrops Sat 08-Nov-14 17:27:47

That's awful, Why, I think I'd have asked for a word with the practice manager about that. Not good enough at all.

WhyOWhyWouldYou Sat 08-Nov-14 18:07:34

Lego - I had some terrible experiences with drs and midwives around the time of my DS's birth (rather a shock when id been lucky to have never met a nasty dr prior to then) and tbh probably should have put complaints in about a few things but I was too much of a mess with PND to deal with it.

I did tell the other Dr, the following day how horrible the first had been to me. That Dr was a practice partner, so hopefully even though I didn't do anything official the nasty Dr will have had someone have a word with her.

LegoCaltrops Sat 08-Nov-14 18:11:47

Good, it's a shame when health professionals think they can be so dismissive to vulnerable patients, hopefully this doctor won't speak so thoughtlessly to the next new patient.

LegoCaltrops Sat 08-Nov-14 18:12:45

Sorry you had to go through that though. flowers Sorry I hit post prematurely!

Acorncat Sun 09-Nov-14 02:41:44

I went to mine and was told that they don't routinely do them, not sure where I got the idea I should book one here probably

I asked that she checked my stitches which she did but other than that just asked if everything was ok.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sun 09-Nov-14 14:52:35

I didn't have one... They only do one for the baby and not the mother in my area. In fact I never had my stitches or anything checked by anyone after the birth!

Alb1 Mon 10-Nov-14 03:41:01

Mine just asked how I was and then talked about contraception and then moved onto DSs 6 week check up

Eminybob Mon 10-Nov-14 04:00:08

Mine was the same as Alb's. DS and I had s combined one.

Except that it wasn't 6 weeks, it was 10 as the receptionist refused to book me in any sooner as apparently my surgery do it at 8 weeks after due date and DS was 2 weeks early.
I tried to argue with her but she stood firm. Good job there wasn't anything wrong with either of us!

icklekid Mon 10-Nov-14 04:07:14

I was expecting an examination as my stitches had come apart- was seeing nurse weekly but would have liked Dr recommendations too. Also asked about birth I explained how traumatic I found it but no mention of support to work through this- my health visitor will support me with this though when I feel ready she has said.
In some ways I wonder if I should have waited until fully healed before going for my check (was 8 weeks so they could also examine ds pre first immunisations) so very much expected to bring child! Also interested to hear about smear test as I got letter before I was healed asked nurse if should put it off and she said yes but if I'd read this would have waited longer! Done now!

thomasstockmann Mon 10-Nov-14 15:38:22

Oh God, I didn't even know some areas don't offer a 6 week check. Personally I had so many problems after birth, including a secondary postpartum haemorrhage, that I had seen the GP 4 or 5 times before my check was due.

monkeymamma Thu 04-Dec-14 21:42:06

I cried after mine too. It just felt like a real waste of time. No one checked my stitches and I didn't feel I could ask him to look. I don't remember what he did ask tbh.

squizita Fri 05-Dec-14 15:55:56

Mine was messed up due to a GP receptionist who 'knew it all' and told me they were no longer routine for mum or baby. shock

When I went at 8 weeks for DD's jabs I asked why and the nurse looked aghast! Immediately booked ours.

At mine they ASKED questions but it was very hands off - but then again I was fine bar needing some stool softeners. Maybe if I'd asked them to look they would but feel it intrusive if OK.

Still furious about that receptionist. DD has a mild clicky hip I need to get checked for dysplacia (though unlikely a small risk GP assured me). If I were less assertive it would never have been picked up. Ditto if I had severe PND (I have mild PNA as it is!).

squizita Fri 05-Dec-14 15:57:39

...they asked me to describe the receptionist then I heard nurse say to GP "I know who told that lady that, she's at it again..." as I left. So I hope someone had words!

Lorelei353 Fri 05-Dec-14 16:14:34

Mine was combined with DS 8 week check. I was asked how I was. I told her okay except for ongoing hip pain when I walked for more than 10 minutes. I was told it would get better and try doing pilates. Then DS was checked out. That was it. Totally rubbish.

Creamoftomato Fri 05-Dec-14 16:43:34

Oo interesting. None of my local antenatal class friends found their check up useful at all - they were all asked how they were and then sent on their way ASAP, but I'm at a different surgery and mine was fantastic. Only problem was it happened at 10 weeks bc there was a bit of a backlog, but it was combined with DS check up - doctor checked him over really thoroughly then had a big chat with me about my birth, checked BP and then (tmi) my piles and proper internal. I was thrilled, it was so thorough and she was so patient.

Eatscones Tue 09-Dec-14 22:01:10

I was told to book my 6 week check by the hv and when I tried later that day I was told they don't offer them any longer. hmm So haven't been checked after my 2nd degree tear & stitches... Hoping things will sort themselves out in due time ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now