Talk

Advanced search

If you were due to have an ELCS but went into labour before the date...

(14 Posts)
Whenwillwe3meetagain Fri 07-Nov-14 20:58:17

...did you still have a CS?
I saw my consultant yesterday and due to the large size of the baby - (20% off the end of the weight scale) he recommended I have an ELCS the day after my due date. My midwife today asked if I'd still want a sweep next week my consultant had also put one in my notes when I will be 39 weeks. She said that if I came into hospital in labour I could still request an EMCS as I wouldnt have been recmmended a CS if it wasn't needed.
Would love to hear of your experiences as I dont know whether I should get my head round having this baby vaginally or immediately ask for a CS. Thanks

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Fri 07-Nov-14 21:05:07

Yes I did smile

My cs was booked for 39 weeks (for previous cs and I was told repeatedly by different mws and drs that dd2 was breech - they didn't scan me due to the booked cs) and I went into labour at 37 weeks. I was only 3cm when I went in so it wasn't done as a middle of the night emergency but I was operated on the next morning. I was given the choice to continue to labour if I wished but by that point id been in labour for around 6 hours and she wasn't even engaged, I wasn't putting myself through labour to end up with a cs again anyway.

Oh, and when they scanned me in labour she wasn't even breech grin

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Fri 07-Nov-14 21:07:01

Yep. Twice I went into labour earlier and twice I still got a section. Although the 2nd time was already on my way to surgery.grin

Monathevampire1 Fri 07-Nov-14 21:31:00

Your well qualified consultant recommends a caesarian and the midwife suggests a sweep, presumably with a view to a vaginal delivery. I'm stunned, why would the midwife think she knows better than the consultant?
If your happy with the ELCS suggestion then personally I'd decline the sweep.

GreenFirefly Fri 07-Nov-14 21:42:26

DD2 was breech (found out just after I decided to tru vbac). Waters broke at midnight. went into hospital whete they hoped I could get to morning to be less of an emcs but had to call DH back in at 5am. After no sleep or food he nearly fainted in theatre grin
2nd section was fine and they tidied up the lumpy scar that I had the first time.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Fri 07-Nov-14 21:46:17

Sorry Mona my post was unclear my consultant suggested a sweep next week and then if that didn't work then an ecls for day after due date. My mw was just checking if I wanted to not have the sweep if I'd rather just go for the cs.

rocketjam Fri 07-Nov-14 21:56:47

Interesting question. What would you prefer/feel more comfortable with?

I went in labour the morning my elective c section was booked. I had a c sec with DS1 (emergency) and was booked for elcs, but woke up in the night with pains and by the time I got to hospital I was 4 cm. The option was put to me - I was offered the choice, and decided on the day to go through labour, but ended with a second em c section (for the same reasons as DS1).

I do not regret one bit having gone through natural labour, even if it ended up in an emergency c sec.

It really depends on what you want, if you are comfortable with the c section or not. I know I was, so there was no negative feelings associated with it.

slugseatlettuce Fri 07-Nov-14 22:01:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiredemma Fri 07-Nov-14 22:01:44

Yes - I had an EMCS. DD was breech, I was due to go in on the monday morning but started having contractions on the saturday morning.

Monathevampire1 Fri 07-Nov-14 22:02:53

When I'm sorry I got it wrong. Personally based on my experience I'd decline the sweep. That said it has to be what you feel comfortable with.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Fri 07-Nov-14 22:42:04

I'm comfortable with the idea of a CS and as the baby's measurements have been off the scale at each scan and I'm measuring three weeks ahead now too then I reckon baby won't be far off the predicted weight of over 11lbs and I'm concerned (as was the consultant) about the damage the baby and I could suffer through vb.

SASASI Sun 09-Nov-14 20:04:36

I was booked for c-section for maternal health reasons on the Monday & my waters broke on the Friday. Had ELCS on the Saturday afternoon. I was asked if I wanted to try labour & I said no - that was it, no further questions!

cheminotte Sun 09-Nov-14 20:35:16

Yes. Was booked for elcs due to breech at 40 weeks. Went into labour at 39 weeks in the evening. Went into hospital, they were planning to wait until the morning. Then after about 3 hours they decided to check how I was progressing and I was 6cm dilated and they could feel his feet! Cue 'sign here' and an epidural. I think I read somewhere that even some labour is good for the body.

happylittlevegemites Sun 16-Nov-14 14:40:56

At about 14 weeks I saw a consultant and was booked for an ELCS for 39+3. Every midwife I saw, and a consultant I saw at 38+5 all said that, if I went into labour early then I was to phone the delivery suite and they would do an early section.

I went into labour at 38+6. Midwife discovered I was breech. Said that, once the registrar saw me, I'd be added to the afternoon surgery list.

Registrar announced that she would try to turn the baby and then send me home to labour before attempting a vbac. I raised hell politely declined. I did get an EMCS without a huge amount of trouble, but the altercation affected the trust we had in the surgeon. The midwives I saw afterwards were cross that I'd been pushed towards a vbac, and the one who is a supervisor of midwives will be taking it to her manager. Apparently it's been happening a bit lately. I'm thinking about putting in a complaint, to be honest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now