Talk

Advanced search

Home Birth with an Independent Midwife... advice please!

(5 Posts)
Camsie30 Thu 06-Nov-14 08:02:06

Quick background... I'm 30 weeks pregnant with my first baby. My nearest hospital isn't great, so I'm currently having my antenatal care at another hospital out of my borough, which is brilliant and only 15 mins away by car. I want to have a home birth, which would mean transferring to my nearest hospital after my 34 week appt and then being registered with the local HB team.
If i were to hire an Independent Midwife, does anyone know whether I could stay with my preferred hospital, and should the birth take a turn, go there if I need to? Do the NHS have to have a presence at all home births?
Hope that makes sense! Any advice or insight hugely appreciated.
Thanks x

glorious Thu 06-Nov-14 08:07:47

I'm no expert but I believe that ni hospital can refuse to take you if you turn up ib labour. If you're having a planned home birth and you need to transfer then I believe the ambulance will take you wherever is most appropriate, though, I.e. you don't get to choose.

No need for NHS staff if you have an IM. Depending on where you are they may get booked up quickly though so if you want to go for that option I'd make plans soon.

Messygirl Fri 14-Nov-14 15:00:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Teatimecakes Fri 14-Nov-14 17:09:26

I'm due on Monday and have an independent midwife. Home birth (vbac too) is planned and fingers crossed will go well.
From speaking to my midwives about the transfer in situation, if it's an emergency they will take you to the closest nhs hospital - if either your or your baby's life is at risk you need intervention fast and wouldn't want to waste any more time travelling than absolutely necessary. If however, the decision to transfer in is yours because you change your mind in labour, want stronger pain relief etc then perhaps this it could then be possible to transfer to the hospital of your choice as there is not an emergency to attend to.
This is my second baby but first natural birth and I have to say that having an independent midwife had been a fantastic experience, with excellent 1-1 personal care. I'd Highly recommend it.

121womancentred Wed 19-Nov-14 19:29:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now