Talk

Advanced search

fast dilation = fast pushing?

(9 Posts)
GreatAuntDinah Wed 05-Nov-14 10:10:01

I've been mulling this over recently as DS just turned one. My waters broke at five-thirty in the evening, contractions started an hour or so later, coming every five minutes. I went from 3 to 10 cm in 90 minutes and started pushing. At around nine-ish DS was diagnosed as a brow presentation, the chief consultant was fetched and I was put under for an EMCS with GA. This is where the timings get hazy. I know DS was born at ten to midnight, but what I can't work out is whether he would have likely been born earlier if he hadn't been brow. Would the CS have speeded things up, or given the speed of dilation (for a first baby) would the pushing stage likely have been just as quick?

It's not particularly important, I was just wondering whether DS would have had the same birthday had he not been brow.

devoncreamtea Wed 05-Nov-14 14:10:09

I would have said you would have had him out pretty quickly if not an odd presentation. 5 mins - 2 hours is quoted as 'normal/average' for 1st in my baby book.

GreatAuntDinah Wed 05-Nov-14 14:50:56

Thanks devon, that makes sense.

Zara8 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:51:35

I dilated in around 60-90 mins with my DS - 50 mins of pushing, after 1 hour for head to descend on its own. Was v difficult and tiring. Prostin induction (no drip), had epidural.

With DD a few weeks ago I officially dilated in 3-4 hours (natural labour - had contractions for 5-6 hours before that though) and she came out in 3 contractions/5 pushes over 10 mins. Head descended on its own for about 30-40 mins prior. Had epidural again. Pushing v easy this time.

So the CS might have got your DS out faster - it took me longer to get from fully dilated to baby born than it did to get from 1-10cm!

LizzieMint Wed 05-Nov-14 14:54:55

Almost definitely earlier I would have thought, I had fast labours and the longest pushing stage I had was 20 mins the first time. Subsequent ones were out within 5-10 minutes pushing, literally a couple of contractions.
It's interesting though, my sis delivered at home unattended (v fast labour, no time for midwife or ambulance to get there) and one of her main concerns was making sure of the time as it was very very close to midnight!! Fortunately the dispatcher on the phone recorded the time of birth as it happened, it was 11:58pm.

Mumraathenoisylion Wed 05-Nov-14 14:55:41

Both births got serious (technical term) for around 3 hours and I spent less then 10 mins pushing, I do think their large size helped though.

Funkytown Wed 05-Nov-14 15:00:54

I had two quick labours with fast dials ruin with very quick pushing times one was 10mins the other 23 mins

wintersdawn Wed 05-Nov-14 15:16:08

I've wondered the same my waters broke at 7pm with contracts starting 5 mins later, I was fully dilated by 10.30pm but dd was back to back and couldn't decend (apparently I'm wrong inside so doesn't help) wheeled to surgery at midnight, dd born 1.11am by emcs after failed forceps. would have been a lot nicer to just have an hour pushing once dilated!

Roxie85 Tue 11-Nov-14 13:53:22

I was in early labour for a few days but once my waters went I started to get v painful contractions very quickly. Within an hour I was at the birth centre and was 6cm and it was 49mins after that when baby was born. I think I started to push about 30mins after arriving so possibly 30mins from 6cm to 10cm and 20mins pushing (first baby too so god knows what will happen if I have a second)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now