Talk

Advanced search

Southmead Hospital, Bristol

(11 Posts)
pinky119 Tue 04-Nov-14 14:02:28

I live in Bristol so have chosen Southmead hospital to have my first child in February (currently 24 weeks), have any other mumsnet users used Southmead within the last few years and would be willing to share their experiences? I was born at Southmead but obviously things have changed after 27 years so my mum can't help much!
Thanks!!

speak2me Tue 04-Nov-14 17:47:41

Sorry not able to help as my first was born at RUH Bath, but I'm currently 21 wks with DC2 and Southmead is now our closest hospital so also am interested to hear any views. Have also thought about Cossham but I prefer the thought if being on a hospital site rather than needing a transfer should these things happen!

Sleepyhoglet Wed 05-Nov-14 19:31:40

Isn't that where obem was filmed most recently!?

Bellyrub1980 Wed 05-Nov-14 22:45:57

Watch the last series of one born every minute, it was filmed there!

Knottyknitter Thu 06-Nov-14 23:03:58

Generally very well thought of. It's the regional centre for neonates, so if high risk eg premature baby it's the place to be (although the surgeons are at st mikes if that's the worry) OBEM have gone now, so no more risk of a camera crew...

It's still in the old bit though, so not the new shiny super hospital, and with all the ongoing building work, parking is at a premium (consider weekly pass for £15, otherwise £8 a day!!). Also as it is old and a little crumbly building wise, they're being quite strict on phone chargers etc, so we've bought a rechargeable charger in case I'm kept in for longer than planned, need to be quite prudent with packing as not loads of space.

Cossham looks lovely, but it's far too far away from a real hospital in bristol rush hour traffic to even have been a consideration for me.

I'm booked at the birth centre for the end of December, and was on site today for a work thing; parking REALLY sucks, bear it in mind with travel times!

bakingtins Fri 07-Nov-14 07:53:35

I've had all three of my children there (2006-2014) two in the midwife unit and the third in delivery suite as high risk. Very happy with care in labour and when 2nd birth turned into an emergency. DD was early and spent some time in SCBU and transitional care and was v well looked after.
I was much less happy with the postnatal wards - far too hot and noisy, short staffed, food terrible, crowded wards with new patients arriving round the clock, impossible to sleep, post Csection women expected to trail down corridors to get their own breakfast or go hungry.
Parking is awful - try to go into labour during the night! On a serious note you need to take rush hour into account when deciding at what point to travel in. The parking is more likely to be an issue for your visitors than you, your partner could drop you off at the door of the birth unit even if they can't park near there.
Having watched OBEM I was worried about using delivery suite because I didn't see much active birth happening there (as opposed to the midwife unit) but in fact they were more than happy to facilitate it, pushed the bed out of the way and got me squishy mats out to pace on, gave birth kneeling.

Cossham is beautiful, like a 5 star hotel and seems very quiet, maybe one or two women in as opposed to Southmead which is rammed. If you are low risk it's worth considering. It is closer to Southmead than my home from the point of view of a transfer becoming necessary, but still probably 10-15mins by ambulance from Southmead.

politics31 Fri 07-Nov-14 08:01:11

I gave birth there in August, 3 day induction on Quantock ward then birth in CDS and stay in Mendip afterwards. My son was also in SCBU there. Pp are right, parking a nightmare, wards noisy (although Mendip is nicer), food rubbish, no TV BUT the staff are amazing and every single one I met was fantastic, just very overstretched. I'd go back there next time (if Cossham isn't an option due to the birth I had this time). Good luck ��

JimmyCorkhill Fri 07-Nov-14 08:08:01

Had DD2 there in March 2013. It was lovely. We had to stay in for a couple of days and it was fine.

JazzAnnNonMouse Fri 07-Nov-14 08:17:16

It's great but can be really busy. If you're low risk apparently cossam is lovely

JazzAnnNonMouse Fri 07-Nov-14 08:17:36

*cossham

couldbeanyone Fri 07-Nov-14 09:06:31

Hi yes had one there in 2010 and due another next year! Ended in EMCS but started in birth suite which was very nice and not at all hospital like, good care and help with breast feeding after (although baby took to it easily so didn't need a lot). Had private room after so can't comment on the wards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now