Talk

Advanced search

Sweep experiences please!

(21 Posts)
Funkyfairy2004 Fri 24-Oct-14 14:29:46

Hi, I've just been booked in for a sweep on Monday, I was just looking for experiences, how successful in starting off labour were they? I'm not worried about the uncomfortable feeling but I am hoping it will kick start a more natural labour experience! Thank you in advance smile

bangersmashandbeans Fri 24-Oct-14 14:32:36

I had a sweep at 39+5 and it was painful which apparently means its a 'good one'! Followed it up with a walk, a pedicure and cleaned the skirting boards....went into labour that evening - bingo grin

Hgov2014 Fri 24-Oct-14 14:33:47

Ah I'd love to hear some experiences of this too! I'm also booked in for a sweep on Monday and not sure what to expect!! :-)

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Fri 24-Oct-14 15:04:52

Both of my labours started the day after a sweep. Both were born 2 days after a sweep. Was uncomfortable but not agony. Good luck! grin

ampersandand Fri 24-Oct-14 16:13:17

I had a sweep at 40weeks which brought on regular Braxton hicks which eventually faded. I had another sweep (very rough one) the next day which brought on worse Braxton hicks. I had a pessery put in too but nothing happened for 4 days. I ended up with an induction with the drip due to preeclampsia and I really did enjoy my labor when it finally happened!

ohthegoats Fri 24-Oct-14 16:16:03

I had a sweep at 41+5, went into very slow labour that evening. Stop start until 42 at which point it kicked in properly. Baby born at 42+1.

Bexleymum Fri 24-Oct-14 17:03:35

I had a sweep at 41+2. Dd2 was born just over 12 hrs later, after a very short labour. I found the sweep uncomfortable but not painful. Remember to take a maternity pad with you as I had a little bleeding afterwards.

Funkyfairy2004 Fri 24-Oct-14 20:11:28

Thank you for the replies, let's hope my little monkey arrives soon smile

mummyofonesofar Fri 24-Oct-14 20:23:00

Had my sweep at 40+5. Partial waters broke a couple days later but midwife thought I had just pee'd a bit. Pessary at 41+6 weeks, then an inducement and drip at 42+1 and had my DS the next day. Both got an infection though due to the unmonitored forewaters being broken and caught an infection as was not sent to hospital. Bad experience but beautiful baby boy at the end grin

MyNameIsButterfly Fri 24-Oct-14 22:50:49

I had 2 sweeps and nothing happened other than my plug came off with second one. Still ended up being induced. Nothing to be scared of!

Bellyrub1980 Sun 26-Oct-14 12:13:43

I had one about 2 hours ago. I'm 40w today. She said at 40w it's a bit 50/50 as to whether it will do anything and largely depends on the state of the cervix. I was keen though, even if there was a slim chance of getting things moving.

It felt like a dull ache when she was prodding my cervix and then a stinging sensation when she was doing the sweep. I'm a bit of a pansy when it comes to pain but got through it with a bit of deep breathing and reminding myself that labour would be a lot worse and that I need to man the f* up at some point!!

It now just feels like I have period pain.

I'll keep you updated if anything happens!

Redling Sun 26-Oct-14 21:52:22

Mine didn't hurt, just slight discomfort. Had it at 40+1, started losing plug and having lots of Braxtony type pains that evening, had stop start pains for 2 days, went into proper labour night of 40+3. It was also really psychologically helpful to me to know I was dilated and cervix shortened etc.

ememsmum Mon 27-Oct-14 09:45:52

Had many sweeps, incl during my induction. Didn't work. Will refuse this ti!me around as I think they're pointless. But, I don't reckon they can do you or babe much harm so go for it if you want to.

My friend wanted a sweep at 39+6. Cervix unwelcoming so she couldn't have one. MW told her baby was way off. Baby born less than 48 hours later. Babies come when they're ready. Mine certainly didn't appreciate any methods used to forcibly evict her!

RebeccaCloud9 Mon 27-Oct-14 17:20:50

My sweep (originally booked for tomorrow) has just been put back to Thurs. Which means if it works, it's likely baby will be born on Halloween which is the one date I didn't want boo! So hoping EVEN MORE now that it comes before the sweep!

Funkyfairy2004 Mon 27-Oct-14 18:11:57

Went for my sweep today but I was told the baby was nowhere near ready so hopefully it will also come within 48hours just to prove the midwife wrong smile
Now I have an induction booked in for next week so that's not ideal, I'm confident baby is going to just come on it's own!

ememsmum Mon 27-Oct-14 18:20:07

Best of luck Funky

SpringtimeSun Mon 27-Oct-14 18:42:09

Have had 4 attempted sweeps but they have never managed to "reach" lol. Induction for both.

TiredandGrumpy2014 Mon 27-Oct-14 20:02:07

I had a sweep 365 days ago at 40&2. First contraction that evening, in hospital in established labour by midnight and baby born 10am the next day- about 24 hours after yhe sweep.

The sweep was uncomfortable but not painful and over very quickly.

And now my little baby is a day off her first birthday and I'm feeling all emotional! Good luck!

Bluesummer20 Mon 27-Oct-14 20:09:27

Had a sweep at 39+6 and a second one at 40+6, unsuccessful, apparently I was 2cm at this point. Was induced at 41+5 and finally had baby the day after! All worth it! Good luck!

LoveCharlie Mon 03-Nov-14 18:33:01

I've got a sweep booked in for my next midwife appointment when I will be 40 + 2 and she'll be coming to my house - does anyone know where would she do it? Sorry bit of a daft question and may not end up needing it but just wondering!

Bellyrub1980 Mon 03-Nov-14 19:34:05

How did it go Funky?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now