Advanced search

Baby doesn't want to come. Induction help please!

(24 Posts)
Hobby2014 Sat 09-Aug-14 22:47:03

Helppppp... I'm scared! confusedshocksad
I'm 9 days overdue now with my first baby.
I've tried everything and nothing's is encouraging labour to start.
Induction booked for Tuesday.
Any tips for induction?
Do I need to pack anything different/extra?
Will I be in the hospital longer than if I went into labour naturally? I know probably lead up will be longer but will they keep me and baby in after longer?
What's the induction process?
Do I stay in hospital all the time or get sent home after they do something and wait for it to kick off?
How much more is it going to hurt?
Do I go straight for an epidural?
Will that increase my chance of c/section?
What was your induction like?
Am I overthinking?
Any help/info will be much appreciated. Thank you smile.

crazykat Sat 09-Aug-14 23:02:39

I was induced with my youngest due to gestational diabetes.

I went up to the hospital at the time I was given and got booked in etc. I was given a sweep to see if that would be enough to get things going and about an hour later a pessary was put in.

I was put on a monitor at regular intervals to check the baby's heartbeat though I can't remember how often. It took about 2/3 hours for the contractions to start and they were every five minutes and gradually got mor painful and longer. Everyone's different though, a friend was given several pessaries over three days before they worked.

It was 9 hours from first contraction to ds being born and the contractions were more painful then natural labour. We were kept in overnight (ds was born early hours) so really only kept in about 12 hours but that was due to the gestational diabetes and ds needing his blood sugar checked.

The worst thing for me was being on a monitor during labour, with my other DCs I was able to move around as much as I wanted. I also had to have a cannula put in incase I needed a syntocin? drip to speed up contractions. It drove me nuts as it had to go in my hand (rubbish veins) and got in the way of me gripping the bed with contractions.

I had gas & air and pethedin, I didn't want an epidural as I ha a bad experience with a lumbar puncture and didn't want a needle being put in my back when having contractions.

Overall it wasn't as bad as I thought but I preferred natural labour as I usually have quite quick labours and this was by far the longest.

crazykat Sat 09-Aug-14 23:04:20

I had to stay in the hospital once I was there but I didn't have to stay on the ward just in the grounds. I went over to see my mam who was at the other side of the hospital for her weekly transfusions.

Hobby2014 Sat 09-Aug-14 23:17:06

Thanks for your reply crazykat. It's nice to hear an in-depth account of an induction. Gives me an idea of what to expect.

I had a sweep Tuesday just gone, it didn't do anything. Do you think they'll do another before they start the induction process? It was awful, I don't think I'd like another, but then again might be better than the induction process if it works?

The thought of the cannula in your hand whilst gripping things is making me shiver! But I suppose it's more difficult to get that in at a later point?

I'm hoping it goes similar to yours, and just starts after the pessary and don't need anything more. I just got visions of me lying strapped to a bed for a week before they say nope, nothing's working, c-section time!

I'm so scared. Being induced really didn't cross my mind, I was really sure I would have had this baby ages ago!

Hobby2014 Sun 10-Aug-14 09:43:22

Anybody else have any induction stories?

teacupnic Sun 10-Aug-14 12:01:05

I had my baby son 10 days ago and was induced. Unfortunately mine was a failed induction resulting in a C Section. My experience might still be useful though.

The first thing was a vaginal examination to find out how dilated I might already be, in my case, not far at all. The next step was a Prostin pessary. As I was classed as high risk due to BMI, I was on monitors for two hours and then just on an ordinary ward for another 6 for it to take effect.

As it hadn't done much, I was given another one and the same again - two hours of monitoring and then sleeping overnight. I had hoped overnight it was working as had a bloody show, pains etc.

In the morning, still no more dilated! So, third dose of Prostin and same thing again. In the hospital I was in, the general number of doses of this they give is three. However, at the discretion of a consultant they can try four which is what they did. I was a little more dilated but no more than 2cm.

At this point, I had two choices. Either go home for a day or so, then come back to start the induction process again or what I ended up choosing which was having my waters broken. (After being 12 days over and getting very little sleep in hospital, I just wanted baby out and not to wait!) It was a bit of a struggle for the doctor to do it, but he managed.

Then they started on the Syntocin drip. I did find it frustrating too getting hooked up to a monitor and a drip but I just tried to justify it to myself by saying as long as baby was safe, that was what mattered (amusingly, every midwife I saw told me that the fetal heart trace showed baby was 'atrociously happy').

I was on the drip for 15 hours in all, unfortunately it didn't work for me. They were waiting for 4 'good' (whatever that means) contractions in an hour. I won't lie, it was painful. Definitely manageable for me with gas and air at the start but as it got further, I did have some diamorphine. I was no more dilated after those 15 hours.

Due to my waters being broken the only option at this point was a section. It wasn't in my original plan for the birth I wanted but by the time it came around I was so exhausted and wanting to meet my baby that it didn't seem like such an unwelcome prospect.

For me, the C Section was absolutely fine. Very calm, and my son and I were skin to skin once in recovery.

If you are worried, could it be a possibility to ring the delivery suite/labour ward at the hospital you're going to to see if you could have a chat with someone ahead of time?

comeonpilgrim Sun 10-Aug-14 12:42:19

I've been induced twice and it was fine both times.

First time I was 12 days overdue, had sweeps and nothing was happening. I got the pessary and syntocin drip and had gas and air. 3 nights in hospital altogether: 1 waiting for the pessary to kick in, 2nd in the delivery room, baby born at 3am and had to spend another night in a ward.

Second time was 4 weeks ago. Waters broke and the induced me within 48 hours, drip only. Took 6 hours this time, most of it spent on a birthing ball, gas and air again. This time I only had to stay one night in hospital.
No forceps, no stitches either time so very straightforward really.

I can't compare it to a natural labour and the pain did get quite intense as they ramped up the drip, but then you have a baby and the pains stop. The cannula was bloody uncomfortable though.

Hope everything goes well. Not too much longer to wait now!

boopdoop Sun 10-Aug-14 12:49:14

I was induced at +12 days with my DS (who is now 4.5 months). I was really apprehensive but actually it was ok!

I had expected to be able to come home once it had started, but I ended up with the one you have to stay in for. They checked how things were and then did it around 10ish, and then we sat around for a bit, went for a walk, went to the restaurant for lunch, and then contractions started. At 5.30 they broke my waters as I was 3cm and that really kicked off the contractions! Within an hour they were every 2 mins - this was the worst bit as I was in the bay on the ward and it was painful and I was grumpy that I wasn't at home, but then by 9.30pm I was 6cm and in the birthing pool and everything felt better!!

In the end it was a c-section after an hour of pushing as my DS was 10lb 7oz and was not quite in the right position, but even that was ok, and I feel quite happy with how it all went even though it wasn't quite how I planned!!

I didn't have any pain relief except gas and air and the birthing pool. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and the things I worries about beforehand really weren't an issue, I just went into a zone I guess.

Hope that helps.

Hobby2014 Sun 10-Aug-14 16:53:19

Thank you everyone for your induction stories.

teacupnic that's how I'm expecting mine to go I think. Midwife said my body wasn't gearing up for it at all. Cervix is firm, closed etc, so I'm thinking if it's not ready that nothing will work. Must have been really boring just waiting and waiting, c-section was the light at the end if the tunnel! It's surprising how stubborn our bodies and a baby can be. How long altogether was in you hospital for? How much before and how much after baby was born?

comeonpilgrim your inductions sound like heaven (if that's possible?!). Do you know why you stayed in hospital the last night, if baby was born at 3am? Was it because you had been induced? I thought they'd want to free up a bed as soon as?

boopdoop yours sounds like a good mix of the other two. At least it did something, even though baby still wasn't really being cooperative! I'm expecting a big baby I think, was told at 38 weeks it was 8.5lbs as an estimate obviously. It's nearly 4 weeks later!

teacupnic/boopdoop How did you both find it afterwards being in hospital, having to cope with the pain etc from your c-section wound and with baby assuming your birthing partners get kicked out at some point? Was you left to do everything by yourself or did you have help?

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 10-Aug-14 17:05:31

My baby came at 12 days past my estimated due date. 2 days earlier my cervix was firmly shut and no signs at all.

It was a 3.5 hour labour and barely hurt. I had no drugs at all because it never occurred to me ask for any. 15mins before the birth I got into a warm pool and he just swam out into my arms.

The midwives had been suggesting induction for some time, but why make things that aren't complicated, a bigger deal than is necessary? You're not overdue and won't be for a long time.

Babies always come on their birthday.

teacupnic Sun 10-Aug-14 20:21:35

You honestly never know when your body is ready, so don't give up hope yet no matter what the midwife says! After coming home I read a midwife's blog who suggested a 'failed' induction isn't a failure at all on the part of the woman because our body is protecting the baby and keeping him because he/she isn't ready! So perhaps bear that in mind - maybe your body is being particularly good at keeping baby in.

The waiting was irritating but I'd already waited nearly 10 months, so, in the grand scheme of things not too bad. Take a book, kindle, anything to amuse yourself.

I went into hospital on the Monday and had the C Section on Thursday morning. We went home at Saturday lunchtime. The Monday to Wednesday was a very slow process and felt quite long, but the rest went faster. I was lucky to be in a side room where my partner could stay overnight with me. Even then, the staff were so helpful with everything and offered a lot of support. If my partner hadn't been staying, I'd have been on a ward with other women.

The final thought to offer is that it's all worth it, or it was for me. I can't possibly describe the relief on there finally being a baby. I did have a bit of an emotional time mostly driven by tiredness, however, I must say the actual C Section was the least upsetting bit.

LizzieMint Sun 10-Aug-14 20:31:31

Firstly, remember than an induction is a treatment that is offered to you - it's up to you whether to accept it or not. It's perfectly OK to say no. I went 18 days overdue with my 3rd, and she was born at home perfectly OK.

Having said that, I was induced for no.1, I was overdue but was induced because the baby was distressed. I had my waters broken as I was already 1-2cm dilated, which didn't trigger anything, although they didn't wait very long to see (1 or 2 hours?), because of the distress.

I then went straight onto the drip which requires continuous monitoring but as I'd wanted an active birth, the MW arranged a mobile monitor so I could still wander about. Nothing happening for about an hour or two, but the full-on contractions kicked in immediately - that's the hardest bit IMO, there's no natural build-up, it's just straight into it. The first 20 mins or so, I really panicked. I asked them to turn the drip down (they refused) so then asked for G&A. Once I'd got the g&a going, it was fine, I could cope with the contractions. I was upright throughout, standing, kneeling etc.
And that was it, 2 hours later was ready to push (still on g&A, still standing/leaning on the bed), 20 minutes after that the baby was born.
I tore so then had to wait several hours to be stitched up, and because it was the middle of the night, I stayed in until the morning. Discharged as soon as possible (at my request) - it was about lunchtime in the end.

comeonpilgrim Sun 10-Aug-14 21:32:57

Not sure I'd describe them as heavenly! I was lucky not to need any other intervention though.

As for staying the extra night, it was very busy and the consultant didn't make it round to do all the checks on dd. I think they wanted to be sure breastfeeding was going well too before letting us out.

MrsNutella Mon 11-Aug-14 10:00:13

Hello, I don't want to hijack but I also figure it's good to stick together! smile

I'm 40+12 with DC2
DS was induced at 40+3. Although I've fought for more time for this baby to arrive at it's own speed I started induction yesterday. It's a bit different here in Germany though. On the one hand the medical care is excellent, on the other it's a little bit over medicalised (never happy are we wink).

Anyway, my induction story for you:

DS 40+3 and the dr decided I had too little amniotic fluid (although, I now personally wouldn't take this one single reason as a good reason to induce). I wasn't really sure about everything going on so I asked DH and he wanted them to start induction so I said yes. I am happy with that decision because it was right for us at the time.

So, day 1 I was given a 1/4 (test dose) of a tablet - it has prostaglandin in which supposedly irritates your stomach and sets off contractions. Nothing happened. After lots of being monitored and hanging around I was allowed home (against dr's wishes, signed myself out). Back next morning for 8am I think.

Day 2 - half a tablet in the morning. Nothing happened.
Half a tablet at lunch time. Still nothing.
Cervix was closed, hard, no physical signs of readiness.

I wanted to go home again. Standing in front of the lift at 9pm my waters broke smileconfusedshock.
An epidural and 10 hours later DS arrived. I had a tear but otherwise all good.

This time around I'm still not keen; but I'm asking a lot more questions. Please, don't be afraid to ask questions. I felt quite powerless at points during my previous birth and I just needed to speak up and ask and ask and ask.
I find it really hard in a second language. I get DH to help me, we write things down and we have discussed my wishes/preferences at length.

I think it's really important that you think about all the options, ask what happens next, what is the next step.

MrsNutella Mon 11-Aug-14 10:04:07

Oh, and this time cervix is soft, dilated, I had a show last weekend and I've had some twinges but nothing that has progressed.

I'm thinking this baby is a lazy little madam not at all like her mum who is just too cosy

I am secretly hoping for a girl. Although whatever it is I'll simply be relieved that my liver finally gets left alone! smile

ShovettyMcShovetty Mon 11-Aug-14 16:18:53

OP - I can't offer you any induction advice but have you tried acupuncture? No personal experience but I have heard it can work a treat! Might be worth a go?

Hobby2014 Mon 11-Aug-14 20:47:34

Thanks again everyone. Still no baby, no signs of anything, induction tomorrow it is.

StarlightMcKenzie thanks for your story. Your labour sounds like a good one. I know I don't have to be induced but I've kind of got to the point where I just want to meet my baby now. Lots of start/stop pains etc and I just want to know baby is here and safe.

teacupnic yeah I agree, as far as I'm concerned I can't fail as long as a baby comes out and comes home, I've won. I don't think I mind how I get there. Providing we're both safe. I'm really worrying about being left alone. DH and I do everything together, so not only do I not want him to leave, I also don't want him to miss out, Although he might like being kicked out so he can rest and not have to worry if you know what I mean.

LizzieMint thanks. I know I don't have to accept it, but I do want this all over with now, the longer it goes on the more worried/scared/apprehensive I'm getting. I think I want to be active, up and about, but I guess I won't know for sure until I'm there, as first baby so no experience to go on. Epidural may hinder this I suppose. I also would like to leave as soon as, so nice to know I can request and providing we're both ok I suppose they'll be glad to get us out their way!

comeonpilgrim sorry heavenly probably wasn't the best thing I could say! Just compared to some horror stories I've heard, it sounded like a good labour!

MrsNutella why won't our babies come?! It's amazing how quickly your body can change its mind, from nowhere near being ready to then suddenly being in labour. I'm hoping I go into labour tonight! I plan to ask lots of questions. I want to know what my options are throughout, rather than them just saying we're doing this now. For example I know the induction is optional, but it's never been out across to me like that from the midwife, (which is fine because I already know from MN it's optional but want it), but I will be asking what's optional and what my options are, as for example it might be better to skip stages and go for a c-section, than spend 6 days trying everything under the sun, then end up with a c-section anyway. I hope your stubborn baby comes soon. (Could they have already arrived? smile )

ShovettyMcShovetty I haven't tried acupuncture, although was just reading about acupressure, but I reckon I'm probably out of time now?

Hobby2014 Tue 12-Aug-14 08:24:09

Can't go in til 6pm, so now have an extra day to worry about everything some more sad.
Bright side, I guess, is I've got a few more hours for this baby to come by itself.

MrsNutella Tue 12-Aug-14 10:55:09

Baby Helena arrived last night.

So yesterday was the second day of induction. Half a tablet in the morning.
It was working a little by lunchtime. They gave me a second dose at 14:30 ish.
My waters broke just after 4pm.
DH arrived at 5.
We made it to the delivery suite at 5:30 ish and she arrived at 17:58

T'was a little quicker than I expected but hurrah! Finally my baby is here. smile

FX you have your LO in your arms very soon!

Hobby2014 Tue 12-Aug-14 10:59:13

Ahhhh congratulations on your baby bundle. smile and your secret hope came true. Enjoy the snuggles. And thank you xx

Jonkastique Tue 12-Aug-14 19:29:42

Op if you're reading this my one piece of advice to you is to get an epidural...don't leave it too late! And stay VERY still for the doc to inject you, so they get it bang on.

I had my daughter six months ago tomorrow smile I was overdue, had three sweeps, then hospital for the pessary. Did nothing. Again the next morning and I reckon the rough midwife broke my waters which started contractions.

However, after 12 hours of contractions I still wasn't dilated, so they put me on the syntocin drip. This was my first baby so I don't have anything to compare, but I understand the drip makes your contractions more painful than natural ones.

I was offered an epidural and took it..i think at just the right time. The doc gave me a perfect dose so that I could feel the contractions and could push, but the pain was HUGELY decreased, and was manageable.

I almost needed fprceps but managed to push her out with a small cut, which I didn't feel at all.

I have heard many women want an epidural but they decide too late and it is sometimes refused by medics.

Good luck, you'll be fine and some day will feel nostalgic for where you are now!!!

eatplaysleep Tue 12-Aug-14 20:29:19

Hi hobby. I might be too late but just read and thought this was me panicking over same thing 5 months ago so couldn't not reply. Don't panic it is really scary going into the unknown but you will be fine and soon have your precious bundle snuggling into you. There are lots of positive stories out there. I was induced at 40+12 and had a good birth experience I feel (as good as pushing out a baby goes). I was examined at 5pm and absolutely no sign of anything happening. I was then given a pessary and told they wait 24 hours before trying this again and they will do this up to 3 times. If nothing they can break waters and start you on the drip. Unfortunately my dh was sent home at 8pm after visiting hours which was horrible as was scared as first birth and could have used his support through contractions but on the other hand he got a good nights sleep ready to be there for the important bit and to help me care for our little bundle once he was arrived. Anyway, for me contractions then started at 11pm and came fairly quick and strong although have nothing to compare to as first birth. Didn't help I was on assessment ward so felt had to try to keep really quiet as other women on ward sleeping. I kept going to mw saying it was getting really painful and they offered paracetamol and a bath. My advice is to keep nagging them as otherwise they will just leave you to it. They kept telling me it could go on for 3 days with pessary and they didn't want to remove pessary to examine me till they were sure as could stop it all and need to start process all over again. At 6.30 am I insisted them examined me and I was 6-7cm dilated so told to ring dh and I was sent to the birthing suite here things started ramping up quickly and I soon got into the birthing pool. My husband arrived and was there to support me until ds arrived at 10.30 am.i was mind of left to naturally go with it by mw but honestly your body tells you what to do, it's almost like when your body naturally convulses when being sick. I was left pushing then towards end mw broke waters whilst I was in pool and I continued to push. I coped with g&a so is possible when induced. I had a 2nd degree tear but you honestly do not realise it happening and was stitched up after in birthing suite and couldn't have cared less with ds in my arms. So in all lasted 11.5 hours from first contraction so not too bad. Sorry this has turned into an essay but I was so scared beforehand and didn't know what would happen and what the stages are so hope my experience helps a little. Good luck and enjoy every minute with your beautiful baby x

Hobby2014 Wed 13-Aug-14 12:21:19

Thank you to both of the last posters. Again nice to hear other induction stories.
Internet is rubbish here so can't reply properly.
I'm still here, no baby. Not much happening.

Jonkastique Fri 15-Aug-14 23:39:46

Any news for us, Hobby?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now