Advanced search

Overdue - how long to wait?

(32 Posts)
SquidgyMaltLoaf Fri 04-Jul-14 10:47:35

I'm now 11 days overdue with my first. I'm having a sweep today to see if that does anything. Getting immensely fed up! I really don't want to have to make the decision about whether to be induced but realistically it's very likely to come to that.

Does anyone have any experience with having waited post-42 weeks, or going for induction instead? What were your reasons and do you regret it?

WaffleWiffle Fri 04-Jul-14 11:12:42

My third child was officially +16 days. My previous two were both +8 days. So I've gone post 42 weeks.

However the situation was unique. I believe my dates were wrong and this was my reason for refusing induction. I was also admittedly much more confident it being my third than I would have been with my first child.

I could pin point conception to two possible days (otherwise it would have been an immaculate conception). At my 12 weeks scan they moved my due date backwards by 8 days.

This had huge significance for me since I knew I went approx 1 week overdue with my other children. So by moving my dates back (incorrectly in my opinion) by a week, it would mean that I would be induced before I felt my baby was ready. All because dates were wrong.

They wanted to induce me at +12 days but I refused. It then became very stressful for me. You need nerves of steel to try refusing induction.

I was put under immense pressure to be induced. I had to go to hospital daily from +12 days. I was scanned and placed on the monitor for half an hour. At least two midwifes/doctors would talk to me each day to try and pressure me to stay in and be induced.

On the day contractions started (+15 by their dates) I was ready to crack. I would have given in and been induced that day if my waters hadn't broken naturally.

With hindsight I an really glad and proud of myself that I held on to my own instincts about what was right for my baby. I am glad that my now 4 year old came into this world when he was ready, not when someone who didn't know his as well as I did decided he should be born.

Having said all of that, I would not automatically recommend you (or anyone else) refuses induction. I was told over and over again the risks I was taking refusing to be induced. I had unique circumstances brought about by my dates being incorrect and me being absolutely certain about that face. Unless you are equally sure that there is due reason to delay birth, then I would not straight away recommend you refuse induction.

Justguessing Fri 04-Jul-14 11:35:13

I'm 12 days over with my second and am booked in for an induction later today. I was happy to agree to the induction as I went 8 days over with my first (although I suspect my dates were out and I was later than estimated). I don't want to unnecessarily scare you (no two experiences are the same) but my placenta had started to deteriorate, it got stuck and I haemorrhaged.

Also, I'm booked into a busy city maternity unit and I may have to wait a few days before they have space on the ward for me. The sooner I get into the queue the better, I want this baby out!

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Fri 04-Jul-14 13:45:17

Do you agree with the dates? My latest child was born at +13, but I knew I wasn't that far along. That can be a big influence in people's decisions because the reason for recommending induction is that stillbirth rates do start to increase after the 42 week mark (though still a very low risk).

SquidgyMaltLoaf Fri 04-Jul-14 14:48:31

I'm not quite sure - they put my due date back by a week at the first scan so it could be that, but I'd given up charting etc before I got pregnant as I was finding it all so stressful. If my original date was right that makes me a week over instead of two I suppose.

SquidgyMaltLoaf Sat 05-Jul-14 23:31:36

Bumping in case anyone can offer more experiences...

Paddingtonthebear Sat 05-Jul-14 23:36:54

I went +15 and they said I could def not go any further over, it should have been +14.

There was no decision to be made by me

DinoSnores Sun 06-Jul-14 20:44:22

I'd be very reluctant to go past 40+12 due to the risks of placental failure.

I've had a home birth, been induced following an intra-uterine death, and been induced at 39 weeks for complications. In their own way, on each occasion, the births have all been lovely and otherwise uncomplicated. I recovered far, far more quickly after my third baby's induction than I did after my home birth!

PenguinsHatchedAnEgg Sun 06-Jul-14 21:10:55

Paddington - There was a decision to be made by you, even if they didn't present it like that. There are good reasons for consenting to induction, but thinking you don't have an option isn't one. Unfortunately, many women are presented with induction as if they have no choice.

Mummyk1982 Mon 07-Jul-14 08:14:22

I was +12 when induced, +13 when gave birth.
Personal experience is that I should have waited it out- they put me onamonitor on arrival which showed regular light contractions but when they hadn't developed over 12 hrs they induced me and hyper stimulated me :-(I laboured without my hubby overnight as they don't allow partners to stay at antenatal ward and then I went from 4cm to giving birth in 40 mins- hubby didn't get there in time and so missed the birth of our first and possibly only child.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but wish I'd held out especially knowing I was lightly contracting anyway :-/

fattycow Tue 08-Jul-14 12:03:16

A lady I know gave birth at 43 weeks. She refused induction and told the doctors that she was sure the baby wasn't ready get. After she gave birth, the doctors agreed that it had been the right decision in her case.
The had estimated her due date according to her last period, but as she has insane long cycles, she knew her ovulation would have been way later than normal.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Tue 08-Jul-14 12:45:27

It's a really difficult choice to be facing. With DD (now 4), I was induced at +14 and she arrived at +17 following every possible intervention, including a cs. I know my dates were right (max 1 day out) so it was just a case that she wasn't ready to come. Being my first, I felt very much swept into everything that was done - 3 x gel things, unauthorised sweep, ARM, 10+ hours of oxytocin drip. Every time I asked what my alternatives were I was told we'd discuss them if X didn't work. DH tends to be very swayed by authority, so looking back, he was useless and I was fed up of being pregnant and exhausted and stressed by it all so couldn't fight my corner the way I would have hoped. That said, my friend had an induction and it was a dream birth, she wouldn't have wanted it any other way!

If you can face more reading, look into the Bishop Score which can give an indication of the likelihood of success of an induction. And if you did your antenatal classes with an independent midwife or NCT or similar, it might be worth talking to someone there too, to get another perspective. Best of luck whatever happens.

AbsoluteCarine Tue 08-Jul-14 15:05:36

I'm due to be induced at 40 + 12.
But what if baby is just not ready?
Looking at my dates, it could be that baby was conceived later than originally thought.
I know I can refuse induction but they managed to find us a slot at a busy hospital.

Lucky29 Tue 08-Jul-14 16:45:55

I was induced +13 and had a really greet experience despite ending up on the dreaded drip after breaking my waters didn't get contractions going enough. They started the drop around 12pm and I had DD at 10pm. It really was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, I did have an epidural after a few hours on G&A but do not regret that at all.

Lucky29 Tue 08-Jul-14 16:46:39

Great experience [blushes]

Lucky29 Tue 08-Jul-14 16:47:05

blush blush

Paddingtonthebear Tue 08-Jul-14 16:48:59

I wish I knew I could chose against the induction. I wish I had waited it out a bit longer, my induction was grim, she didn't want to come out and caused a lot of damage being brought out!

westcountrywoman Tue 08-Jul-14 17:06:35

I went for induction at 12 days overdue. I wasn't given the option not to but suppose they couldn't make me if I'd said no. Obviously natural onset of labour is better but there are huge risks with the placenta failing etc after 42 weeks so I would have gone anyway.

melliebobs Wed 09-Jul-14 22:53:15

I refused point blank to be induced. Mw very gung-ho to induce at +10 and she even made the appointment for me without consent first. I didn't attend. Had a scan to check placenta and I was given every guilt trip by the consultant to be induced despite everything being fine and the fact a pregnancy can go up to 42 weeks anyway so I should have the opportunity to get to that point. They never presented me with the facts. Fortunately me and DH had done our reading and stood our ground. What pissed me off is they play the 'dead baby card' yet no plan was put in place for me. No monitoring and no nothing. I went into labour naturally at +17. If I hadn't I don't know what was supposed to happen

melliebobs Wed 09-Jul-14 22:54:30

When I ended up in labour and in the delivery room I was known to all the staff as 'the 'one' who DNA'd her induction appointment' despite me saying to the MW I wouldn't be attending as I didn't want to be induced

Hazchem Thu 10-Jul-14 02:30:14

This is a very well referenced blog on induction from midwife thinking.
I've not had to make the decision but I think I'd be urging on the going over 42 weeks myself.

grobagsforever Thu 10-Jul-14 07:38:12

I am due today and desperate to avoid induction as DH recently passed away in hospital sad . I cannot face going back there so must have a home birth. so worried it won't happen. I will push for maximum time possible.

Hazchem Thu 10-Jul-14 08:06:28

I'm sorry for your loss grobags Wishing you strength and energy over the next few weeks.

Gen35 Thu 10-Jul-14 12:15:48

I was induced at +12, it took 3 days but it was fine. I did have an epidural as contracting for so long and got tired. I went ahead as dc1 wasn't moving much and we've had a family history of stillbirth. I'd rather avoid this time round but wouldn't prolong it if I get there.

Gen35 Thu 10-Jul-14 12:17:30

grobags hope you've got lots of rl support, you do have a good amount of time before you get there yet, fingers crossed for you going into labour soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now