Advanced search

Elective Cesarean over induction?

(5 Posts)
gualsa Sun 15-Jun-14 19:53:04

So here I am again with possible dilemma on my hands. I am being offered an induction next week due to sweep not working.
It's my third baby but 10 years after the first 2. I am 38.
Both my previous births were natural and I did not go overdue. They were 6"13 and 7"13.
Right, so this one is between 9" and 10" and I am petite. MW says I need an active birth etc in order to squeeze him out and it may end up with forceps. Yuck
I'm not sure an induction would be great as I can't then be at the MLBU and will be in more pain so more likely to have an epidural and labour might then not progress and it could all end in emergency c-section.
I wonder in view of these factors and his size if I should request an elective c-section?
I have heard horror stories of stalled births, big babies getting stuck, forceps ruining your insides and emergency c-sections going wrong.
At least with an elective one the risks are so much lower and it's less stressful on mum and baby.

What are your thoughts please?

Sirzy Sun 15-Jun-14 19:56:52

Personally I would try to avoid a c section. I was induced with DS and even though he was back to back and stayed that way it was nowhere near as bad as some horror stories would have you believe - obviously it will be different for each person and each labour though.

I would also be wary of reading too much into the predicted weight - my sister was told to expect DN to be 10lb and he was under 8lb!

You have to do what is right for you though.

omuwalamulungi Sun 15-Jun-14 20:02:00

I went for an elective over an induction, for medical reasons though. I was more comfortable with the "known unknowns" of a section rather than induction (possible failures, interventions etc) and it was my first. It was the right decision for me, and I will have a section next time. Theres not much dignity involved either way I think! Recovery was textbook, just two rough days which could be put down to massive hormone shifts as much as anything else, by the third day I felt ok, back to normal within four weeks, felt really myself again after about 8 weeks.

Good luck whatever happens, we can only choose our least worst option after all! smile

gualsa Mon 16-Jun-14 17:15:15

Thanks guys. I am still crossing my fingers for a spontaneous birth. I may ask for a growth scan to help me weigh up the options

SomeSunnySunday Mon 16-Jun-14 17:34:34

Is this likely to be your last baby? If so, in your position I personally would choose an elective section over an induction. My overdue and although not induced heavily augmented labour was difficult and still ended up in a c-section. My elective section was calm and easy to recovery from (really easy, I was out running, gently, at 4 weeks post section).

But I'm now heading for my 3rd c-section, I'm slightly nervous as the risks do go up with each one you have. If you've given birth successfully before, and are not planning on this being your last baby, you might want to try some of the more gentle induction techniques and see how you get on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now