Advanced search

Should I have an induction today?!?

(10 Posts)
AllBoxedUp Sun 11-May-14 13:05:04

Hello. I need some pretty urgent advice. I am due tomorrow but my waters broke last night and am on the clock before interventions start. I'm also trying for a VBAC which complicates things.

I have been having a show all week and was having mild contractions last night but by this morning everything had stopped. I'm due back in hospital this evening to discuss what to do next. I always thought I would say no to an induction but now I'm not sure. I don't know whether to say I want another 24 hours, have the induction or just book in for a c section tomorrow.

Does anyone have any positive stories about inductions when you've had some signs of labour starting? Another factor is that the risk of rupture is obviously increased but the doctor I saw last night said it was increased from 5 in 1000 to 8 in 1000.

Thanks - hope this is coherent - I'm bouncing on a gym ball and drinking a glass of wine to see if it can get things going!

ilovemybabies123 Sun 11-May-14 13:19:05

My sister has a c section and has had 3 normal births since. Her youngest she was induced at 39 weeks due to unbearable spd and it worked about 23 hours after the induction was started and they had threatened a c section at 24 hours. After the contractions started she had the hormone drip and he arrived a few hours later. Good luck

Atbeckandcall Sun 11-May-14 13:21:05

I know what I would do but really it's how you feel about it all.

I would have a c-section personally. The added increased risk of rupture would put me off a vbac.

If your waters have gone, after 24 hours you are at risk of infection.

I see why you're unsure. Why don't you give the unit a call and talk it through with someone?

Sorry I'm useless but didn't want to read and run.

Oh, and congratulation btw

AllBoxedUp Sun 11-May-14 13:27:48

Thanks. I really thought I would go for the ELCS - I actually really enjoyed my first! But I guess I am tempted by the VBAC as I have put so much thought into it and I could also potentially get home to DS sooner. I don't know anyone who had a good induction experience though and they all seem to end up with EMCS (so nice to hear a positive story). I can talk through my options when I go in but I would like to have a bit of an idea of what I am willing to consider. I think if the pool is still an option and there is one free I can use I might be more tempted. Thanks again. I am quite excited that the baby should be here in the next 24 hours or so!

mammaof4girls Sun 11-May-14 18:59:02

I had an induction due to my waters breaking and nothing happening (although my waters went at 36 weeks and they kept my under observation for 2 weeks until they induced me!) my induction wasnt simple but that was due to there error but I didnt end with a section which was my point! my friend also had an induction as her son was 2 weeks late and she also didnt have to have a section. I hope you have come to a decision you are happy with x

Atbeckandcall Mon 12-May-14 07:53:59

Have had fingers and toes crossed for a safe delivery either way for you.

HeyBungalowBill Mon 12-May-14 08:01:20

If it was me personally I'd also be tempted towards the c section based on my experience with my DS.
My waters broke and nothing happened for 24 hours and because all wards were packed they kept delaying an induction.
Around 24 hours after my waters went I was sent for a cat 1 emergency c section because DS had gone into distress! I was only 2cm gone but his heart rate dropped and was behaving as if he was about to be born.

I wish you all the best in your decision and I wish you a safe delivery smile

Proudmummytodc2 Mon 12-May-14 09:08:45


I just wanted to.add that i was induced with both my ds and dd and i had natural birth with both and very fast labours once on the drip everything took off rather quickly

good luck! hope your baby is here soon for you

AllBoxedUp Mon 12-May-14 09:59:53

Thanks again for the replies. I called up last night to arrange to come in and the midwife I spoke to sounded slightly surprised I was told to come in so I asked if I could wait 48 hours and she was happy for me to do it. I thought I was having twinges but there is still nothing happening so I'll probably go in tonight and ask for a C section tomorrow. Bit sad that I won't go through labour but all this waiting around is making me stress out - can't see things going well. All very exciting!

Atbeckandcall Mon 12-May-14 11:14:49

What's really important isn't you feeling that you haven't had a go or whatever else. But a safe delivery for you and baby x (unmumsnetty kissing, but feel it's appropriate).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now