Advanced search

C-section after previous c-section.

(5 Posts)
123jasmine Thu 01-May-14 22:12:07

Hi there,

Has anyone experienced to request an ECS after a previous section and to be 'offered' one but to be given a date after the baby's due date, or to be postponed several times for different reasons only to increase the chances of a forced natural birth, so the NHS can economise those £ 1000? In these circumstances you cannot accuse anybody if you end up with a brain damaged/dead baby if the worst was to happen, isn't it?

MsBumble Thu 01-May-14 22:43:13

I can't imagine that this is a very common occurrence - a straight up refusal is more likely - and if it does happen I would say it is far more likely due to incompetence/negligence than anything else.

MrsGiraffe12 Fri 02-May-14 05:39:05

I'm sort of in this situation. At the moment. Am 21+5 with DC 2. DC1 was emergency c section at 32 weeks due to PET. At my booking with this baby midwives said id be "allowed" an elective c section if I wanted one, and at the next midwife appointment they said it would probably be in my best interests. At this point I was pretty happy about this. I'm not scared of labour as such, but I'm scared of either needing an emergency one during labour or something happening to my baby because I have a VBAC. However at my 20 week consultant appointment I was told that I'm booked in for a VBAC. I queried this and basically was till the only way I would get a c section is if a) I get PET again or any other complication that requires swift delivery b) I go over due c) there are issues in labour.

So basically yes - my c section is booked in a week after my due date if I haven't delivered by then. I'm not happy as such by a VBAC. But on the flip side I know it's better for me than surgery in the long run. I just wish it was easier to get a c section booked after you have already had one and I wish there wasn't so many conflicting opinions in the medical industry too xx

FavaBeanPyramidScheme Sat 03-May-14 17:19:46


If you want a CS you should go back to your consultant and tell him / her that a VBAC isn't an acceptable option for you. You may have to go through a process of further consultation (e.g. with a consultant midwife) but ultimately your consultant either has to agree to your CS request or refer you to someone else who will agree to do it.

This is set out in the NICE Clinical guidelines on caesarean sections (CG132). If you Google it you can read it for yourself - it's paragraph

When I requested my CS, the consultant I dealt with tried to fob me off too. If I hadn't known about the NICE guidelines I would have walked away thinking I couldn't have one.

MrsGiraffe12 Sun 04-May-14 08:57:46

favabean thank you for that info. I shall defiantly be looking into it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now