Talk

Advanced search

Massive tummy after c section

(14 Posts)
Highlystrungmum Tue 18-Mar-14 19:47:50

Not sure if this is correct place for this post but no others seemed appropriate.
I had an ELCS 1 week ago but my stomach is still really big. I know it's very soon afterwards but with my son ( a vaginal birth) it was nowhere near as big. It's not just a bit swollen but i still look about 6 months pregnant.
Ive had a few comments from people about it & the kids keep looking at it. i know they are thinking 'why is her tummy still big?'
Does anyone have any idea when this will reduce? It's getting me down to the point I don't want to leave the house.

mostlyconfused Tue 18-Mar-14 22:21:02

I was the same after my CS. I didn't really notice at the time but looking back at photos I still looked about 8 months pregnant.
Mines went down slowly, even with breastfeeding. I think I was about 4 weeks before it had went down, maybe even a bit longer.

I'm actually dreading that part this time round. I'm so jealous of people who walk out the hospital in the old clothes looking fab. I'll still be a whale for a long time!

Highlystrungmum Tue 18-Mar-14 22:32:59

Thank you, I haven't put weight on anywhere else so my 'bump' is so noticeable. I had no idea this would happen as i was one of the ones who walked out the hosp with old clothes on with my son. I know I sound shallow but I've been carrying about a bump for 9 months & would like to get out with my baby not worrying about my 'bump':-(

llamallama Tue 18-Mar-14 22:36:30

As long as you don't go out without your baby no one will even notice your bump! They will just be looking at your lovely newborn!

Don't worry, it will go soon enough!

MolotovCocktail Wed 19-Mar-14 09:41:57

You only delivered your baby one week ago. Stop being so bloody hard on yourself!

Agree with what was said up thread in that I still looked pg after my ELCS. It took a few months for all swelling to subside. I would say I was well on the way to getting my pre-pg body back at 6m, definite back to normal 9m later.

And congratulations on your new baby! thanks

UriGeller Wed 19-Mar-14 09:44:51

Also, its your second baby. Things go back much slower than with a first.

I remember bouncing out of bed and straight into my 26" waist Levi's with my first. <sigh>

Take things easy and congratulations!

UriGeller Wed 19-Mar-14 09:47:58

And...i'm absolutely sure that nobody is judging you negatively on the size of your belly!!

They might be looking at you and remembering Kate Middleton flying the flag for new mothers everywhere by showing that you still have a bump after the birth smile

theborrower Wed 19-Mar-14 09:58:04

Please don't feel down about it, it's normal. I hope people's comments aren't nasty, are they just curious instead?

It will go down in time. I just looked at a pic of me about 2 weeks after, holding my DD, and I still look about 6 months gone, which surprised me looking back but I'm sure it was less soon after that.

Congratulations on your new baby!

floppops Wed 19-Mar-14 11:19:29

I had a ELCS a week ago too and I think I look about 5/6 months pregnant now. It is going down I think slowly but I feel much more swollen than I did with my previous vaginal birth. I'm guessing there is swelling from all the bruised soft tissue. Also I had terrible constipation till the 4th day which was actually making my belly swell up even more-sorted that now thank god.
I'm hoping by 6 week check should look better. But yes is a downer I can't wear any "normal" clothes.

Highlystrungmum Wed 19-Mar-14 16:47:53

Thank you for your comments. I know I sound like I'm being hard on myself but I'm just so shocked at how big it is as I totally didn't expect it. People aren't being nasty but I know what there thinking because its the first thing they notice when they see me, it's hard not to.
I've got a wedding in 6 weeks so I take it ill need to. Wait till last minute before getting a dress but not to worry I have the most beautiful daughter to remind me of why its there:-)

Daveface Wed 19-Mar-14 19:02:07

After my second c section I was in maternity clothes for weeks afterwards!! It did take a lot longer second time around but got there in the end!

Beccadugs Wed 19-Mar-14 19:08:43

I'm 3 weeks post EMCS and am starting to deflate a bit! Now just look podgy, rather than pregnant I think. Nowhere near prepreg clothes though sadly!

PotentiallyLethalMarshmallow Wed 19-Mar-14 19:24:33

Weeks After I had my CS to deliver triplets, I went back to the hospital for a special gentle exercise class for mums recovering from CS. I felt at home when I noticed the other bellies in the room till the staff member came up to me and said"no this class is for ladies who have already HAD their babies!"

weebairn Thu 20-Mar-14 17:48:10

After my SIL had her EMCS she still had a very pregnant tummy for a couple of months. I remember her in floods of tears because she went out without the baby one time and someone asked her when she was due.

It was mostly water I think. She was back in her own clothes after only a few months and has an absolutely flat stomach and wears size bloody 4 jeans after 2 kids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now