Talk

Advanced search

Burning feeling in section wound

(13 Posts)
Bearfrills Tue 11-Mar-14 18:25:30

I had an ELCS twelve days ago when I was 40+8, my second section in total (previous one was EMCS). I apparently had a lot of scar tissue and the lower segment of my uterus was very thin. DS was stretched out too, head fully engaged and feet pressed against the top of my uterus, so they had to do a lot of rummaging and shoving to get him out. My blood pressure was really low (80/40) so I had a bolus(?) and an infusion as well as lots of fluids and a syntocinin drip.

Basically I'm a bit (a lot) battered and bruised. I have yellow and purple bruising literally from my belly button right down to the tops of my thighs. My lower abdomen now has an overhang and is very swollen. To give you an idea how swollen, my maternity pants that fit me two weeks ago when I was nine months pregnant now can't be pulled any higher than the swollen part of my lower abdomen, they just don't fit. I also have a hard lump just below my belly button that feels like it could be my fundus (feels exactly the same as it).

I had my dressing off on day five and my bead/string was taken out on Sunday on day 10. Since yesterday I've had an intermittent burning/stinging pain along the wound, it's worse at either end of the cut but at times it's all over my mid to lower abdomen and is sharp enough to make me whimper like a wuss and resting seems to make no difference as it happens regardless of whether I'm standing, sitting, walking or lying down. I also get a sharp, pricking pain in my lower abdomen, a few inches above my wound, it feels exactly like being pricked with a pin. DH reckons its everything healing as the internal stitches start to dissolve and I'm getting more mobile (I've been going out for gentle walks) but I don't remember these pains from last time. The wound itself looks fine and is sealed.

Has anyone had this?

sausagefortea Tue 11-Mar-14 18:44:02

Are you still keeping up with your pain relief? Do you have a temp?

When I had a burning feeling in my wound after the stitching had come out it was because I had developed an infection in the incision (2nd cs). Couldn't really notice apart from burning (except when I pressed and pus oozed....then I cottoned on - but best not touch too much in case you give yourself an infection!!!) best let your gp have a look.

Friend after 1st cs had uterine infection, but think that kicked in within a week of the op.

Bearfrills Tue 11-Mar-14 18:49:49

No temperature and I feel fine aside from the burning. I've just been taking the pain meds (paracetamol and diclophenic) as and when I need it. I was taking them by the clock the first five days then when needed as the diclophenic was upsetting my stomach.

Hmm, might make an appointment with my GP then although I bet he simply reminds me I've recently had a CS and its all normal grin

MyDarlingClementine Tue 11-Mar-14 19:01:48

Bear I was told I could go back to my hospital up to two weeks after section of i had any problems.

Of course when I rang them up, the lady on the phone wasnt aware of this, but at discharge we were told we could call them with any issues. I had an issue and managed to see the consultant who did the op. My doc was like yours and I didn't trust him at all. On my 6 week check he didnt look at the scar and when I said, Is this normal time after op he said

"Sorry, what operation?".

Anyway, if you can call your hospital and try and get them to help you. After my op, aout four hours after, I was feeling fine and no pain, until a MW came along and barked at me to get moving, I did a massive turn, and from them on in...I got a buring in one side that was intense but not as bad as yours. It hurt if I moved at certain angles.

It died down after about 8 days. Mine was also at one end of cut, and it was slightly raised and I also had no other infection symptoms.

Good luck!

sausagefortea Tue 11-Mar-14 20:32:20

If you feel fine and no temp then probably not a uterine infection (says completely unqualified person!) but could be like the wound infection I had. It was just noticeably more burny feeling than before. I felt otherwise fine though. Think mine looked a bit angry - but then might do anyway?!

Bearfrills Wed 12-Mar-14 00:22:50

This gets weirder and weirder. Just been in the shower and noticed that the most swollen part of my tummy has changed shape a bit. To give you an idea it was very round and swollen from my belly button down to my bits, sticking out further than my upper abdomen. Well now it's gone a bit flatter on the bottom and on one side I have an area a little bit bigger than a £2 coin that collapsed inwards (that's the only way to describe it) so I have a soft, squidgy dent in my tummy. The left side of my wound has also gone soft and squishy.

I feel absolutely fine in myself (aside from the on and off burning feeling) so I'm thinking maybe its the fluid starting to disperse and the swelling going down? I'm going to ring the MW tomorrow to ask.

plentyofsoap Wed 12-Mar-14 05:20:03

I could have written your post five months ago as my second birth sounds identical.
I had an infection in my scar so had medication for it. It took alot longer to recover so look after yourself. My iron levels were low for quite a long time.
I caught every bug going after which was rubbish with a new born as I think my body just could not fight infections.

plentyofsoap Wed 12-Mar-14 05:22:41

Sorry posted too soon! Go to your gp asap. I did not have a temp with the infection either.
They are worth it wink

Bearfrills Wed 12-Mar-14 09:31:18

I rang my MW to get some advice about the collapsed in part of my tummy and she's coming to do a home visit this morning. Bit worried now in case it is something bad, it looks exactly like someone has carved a chunk out of my abdomen.

Bearfrills Wed 12-Mar-14 21:33:07

Just to update: the MW came out to do a home visit after I rang them this morning. She said my wound looks and feels absolutely fine, it's not hot or red or swollen (the swelling is all confined to my belly) and she doesn't think it's infected. It's completely sealed and healing nicely. She had a check of the sunken bit of my swollen lower belly, had a feel (I nearly hit the ceiling), and said its a hematoma (sp?). She says it'll either come away on it's own or will be reabsorbed back into my body. She said to massage it but its so tender there's no way I'm touching it. Since this morning it's spread and I now have a sunken in trench rather than a little dent. I'm going to give it a day or two to see how it goes and then follow up with my GP.

By the way, don't google "post caesarean hematoma" unless you want to worry yourself senseless.

Thanks for the advice smile

MyDarlingClementine Wed 12-Mar-14 21:41:40

Hi Bear glad you got it sort of sorted, do you trust your MW.

I would go back to docs tomorrow if its any worse just to get a second opinion ...

Bearfrills Wed 12-Mar-14 21:48:31

That's what I'm thinking, she wasn't my usual MW, she was the on call MW based at the local hospital I chose not to deliver at because I wouldn't send a dog there let alone myself....

plentyofsoap Wed 12-Mar-14 22:07:01

I would see your gp tbh. I saw my midwife and gp who both said it was fine...
The results of my swab taken at the hospital had come back and both failed to check the results which clearly showed a bad infection.
Hope you feel better soon. The swelling does go down, mine went loads after my first period (which was very heavy, beware!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now