Talk

Advanced search

I'm really scared of third birth

(10 Posts)
buffythebarbieslayer Tue 11-Mar-14 10:07:58

This is dc3

I think that now I'm 35 weeks the reality of childbirth is setting in.

Dc1 ended up being an episiotomy and forceps.
Dc2 was a waterbirth but third degree tear.

They were 9lbs and 9lbs 8oz respectively.

This one also looks big according to growth scan.

I'm getting quite anxious now. Obstetrician doesn't recommend caesarean but a planned episiotomy if it looks like I might tear again.

I'm seriously considering an epidural.

TheScience Tue 11-Mar-14 10:09:09

Have an epidural then! What concerns do you have about it?

buffythebarbieslayer Tue 11-Mar-14 10:12:10

I suppose being immobile, I worry about needing intervention.

I had spinal blocks for last two births for repair afterwards and hated the feeling of numb legs.

I also have lowish blood pressure and the spinal block after second birth made me feel very poorly.

buffythebarbieslayer Tue 11-Mar-14 10:13:50

But I still think I'd go in much calmer knowing I can't feel what's going on down there!

I haven't forgotten the agony of tearing last time with no pain relief!

Bowlersarm Tue 11-Mar-14 10:14:33

I'm not sure i can stop your fears, but my third DC was the easiest birth. I tore with all of them. However, dc3 was much quicker so less time of pain (no time for an epidural which i had with the others). Middle DC was the heaviest. Dc1 and 3 were the same weight.

It seemed much easier as well, because by dc3 I knew what I was doing, and I didn't find the whole process plus coping with a newborn nearly as daunting.

Good luck. Think of the end result and all those snuggly newborn cuddles smile

TheScience Tue 11-Mar-14 10:16:40

Epidurals and spinal blocks are quite different ime - you're not totally numbed with an epidural. With DS2 I had an epidural and could still feel him being born, just without any pain, whereas I had a spinal with DS1 for a forceps delivery and was totally numb.

With DS2 I had the epi at 5, he was born at 7, and by 9 I was up and about.

maillotjaune Tue 11-Mar-14 10:26:16

I had epidurals with the first two, but not DS3 (just went more quickly AND the G&A didn't make me throw, up as it had done with the first two).

The epidural was so helpful when being stitched up after and I was wobbly of leg but able to stand for a shower pretty soon after.

I was really worried about the delivery third time round too. It was a very different birth in many ways (positives and negatives) so you just never know.

buffythebarbieslayer Tue 11-Mar-14 11:47:48

Thank you

Newborn snuggles keeping me going!

Nareno Tue 11-Mar-14 21:02:28

I loved the pain relief from my epidural, apparently I teared as well as having an episotomy and only found out today from reading my discharge notes 6 months on, as at the time didnt feel anything, well nothing that specific. Im scared of doing it again, but you will cope, because everyone just does in their own way....either you can have drugs, or it will be so quick you wont need them

Nareno Tue 11-Mar-14 21:17:59

Just been reading another post about 3d tears, and hadnt realised the stats etc...., you might want to check it out. Definitely worth discussing your options with mw and doc, I wasnt so aware of the healing and continence issues, think I got off lightly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now